collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shot my first bear with a bow  (Read 7823 times)

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
Re: Shot my first bear with a bow
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2017, 06:20:18 PM »
Curious if this would get me 10 preference points??????

:chuckle:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2017, 06:45:36 PM »
Curious if this would get me 10 preference points??????

:chuckle:
Hunters helping hunters :tup: :tup:

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2017, 07:35:32 PM »
So when does a bear in your backyard become a threat,I think this would be my question for Leo.Cause are you really harassing a bear once it becomes a threat :dunno: or does it fall into the self defence part of the law.These are all questions that we would like to know,and everbody has a different answer or opinion,that must be respected,But these would be good questions for LEO.

When? When you hit it with an arrow from a 15 lb bow????  :chuckle:

I was thinking maybe hungry bear on a compost pile,I don't think I'm getting between a bear and a food source.Would it be different if he used a sling shot,bb gun,bear spray,what do you do if you don't have bear spray,let the bear charge you,your dog,your kid,before it become a threat.Like I said everybody got different opinions.but the only one that matters is a Leo.

I think that the opinions expressed are out of concern for the OP. Once you post it, the LE and courts take over and will use a post as evidence. They've fined people for not clamping down the barbs on a hook enough. I have little doubt some of them would look at this and go investigate.
:yeah:

Because in addition to the points already made about how this could be twisted, sadly someone, somewhere would jump at the opportunity to try and turn this into 10 points (I know Timberstalker was joking...I think  :chuckle:).

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2017, 11:01:07 PM »
Remember when the LEO's come for you do not offer to give them the bow. If they want the bow as evidence make them seize it without your permission. Don't interfere with them taking the bow but make it clear you are not willing giving them the bow.

Why is that?

If you say they can have it when they ask, they can use it against you.  This goes for anything that may be used as evidence.  But if they take it without your permission, there's a possibility that a judge will throw out the evidence as an unreasonable search/seizure.  This is decent advice anytime you are dealing with law enforcement. 

BUT I gotta say, it seems pretty overdramatic to be talking about this in the current context.  I really don't think you have anything to worry about. 

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2017, 11:19:29 PM »
Remember when the LEO's come for you do not offer to give them the bow. If they want the bow as evidence make them seize it without your permission. Don't interfere with them taking the bow but make it clear you are not willing giving them the bow.

Why is that?

If you say they can have it when they ask, they can use it against you.  This goes for anything that may be used as evidence.  But if they take it without your permission, there's a possibility that a judge will throw out the evidence as an unreasonable search/seizure.  This is decent advice anytime you are dealing with law enforcement. 

Best advice. Tell them you ain't gonna say anything without legal representation. End of story. They gonna take whatever they want. In the end if no crime was committed. You will get your belongings back. Wouldn't even answer the simplest of questions without a lawyer next you.

For this instance. Your right kinda jumping the gun. Nothing gonna happen. The OP did what he thought was right. To each their own. Theirs people that would of done less. Then theirs people that would of filled their freezer with that bear. Everyone handles things differently.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2017, 07:58:02 AM »

Why is that?

Best advice. Tell them you ain't gonna say anything without legal representation. End of story. They gonna take whatever they want. In the end if no crime was committed. You will get your belongings back. Wouldn't even answer the simplest of questions without a lawyer next you.

For this instance. Your right kinda jumping the gun. Nothing gonna happen. The OP did what he thought was right. To each their own. Theirs people that would of done less. Then theirs people that would of filled their freezer with that bear. Everyone handles things differently.

I was kidding about the LEOs showing up to investigate this "heinous crime". However stranger things have been done by overly-aggressive LEOs. My advice about the giving of evidence or having it seized is still correct. LEOs are trained in how to ask your permission to take evidence and unless you are forewarned you won't even catch what he is doing. If they think it is necessary enough to train for this then they know it is an important procedure that can affect the outcome of a case. In this case imagine how ridiculous the LEO would appear as the attorneys argue over the proper taking a child's toy bow in front of a judge. Some judges will only tolerate just so much nonsense before they throw a case out of court.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]