collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Olympic or Mt. Baker?  (Read 1870 times)

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
Olympic or Mt. Baker?
« on: September 30, 2017, 07:41:54 PM »
Alright guys - heres my dilemma...

I actually had a decent spot scouted out in a well under the radar unit. Friday I headed up there in the morning to do some calling, and while I was up there waiting to start my set I glimpsed a very hungry bear chowing on the last of the hucks on a mountainside about a half mile from me. It was a great learning experience, I got to put in two stalks before time ran out and I had to pick up my daughter from daycare. I left the bear there with the intent of heading back up early this morning. This morning I headed up there and someone must've came along after me, seen him, and told his buddies, because there was a group of guys camped at the base of the hill and people floating in and out of the area(and it was socked in, so no glassing at all). Normally, I'd say it was due to muzzy deer starting but to be honest, this unit doesn't produce bear or deer. To be frank, I've never even seen a deer up here... and the sign I've found is very few and far between. I would head back up there tomorrow, but I'm sure those guys are still in the area and I don't want to waste an hour and a half to find that out.

I feel like this year I've really busted my you-know-what trying to find a bear. I even went as far as taking some vacation days and buying a bear map from Dale for the NE corner in hopes of finding something. I hunted the opener, I woke up the second day out of 4 I was supposed to be up there with the stomach flu. Mission aborted. I had to have my wife drive me home, it was terrible. Anyway...

Does anyone have any advice at all on either of the areas I've listed? I've spent some time up around Skykomish and seen some sign, but the last time I was up there was a few weeks back.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Olympic or Mt. Baker?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 09:09:46 PM »
Now is some of my favorite time to hunt bear. Berries still exist, but they are rotting. So, finding remaining berries is something the bear are trying to do too, helping to concentrate them. Focus on that, finding remaining berries. Be cautious heading out into mountain areas now though, weather can turn to crap in a drop of a hat now, so don't get caught in the unexpected. Better yet, if you do, be prepared for such.

Best of luck, keep at it. Now is prime.

Offline snake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Olympic or Mt. Baker?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 07:46:57 PM »
keep hunting, it will be that much sweeter when you do connect.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]