collapse
For all your AR 500 steel target needs and competitive shooting events! Advertise on Hunting-Washington

Author Topic: Help to choose caliber.  (Read 1315 times)

Offline TimBaleia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Help to choose caliber.
« on: October 03, 2017, 11:56:46 PM »
Hello everyone!

Im looking to buy a hunting rifle. So far Savage 11/111 due to great price/quality. Trying to choose in which caliber.

Oh boy. Im considering this calibers:

308 win 25$

270 win 24$
30-06 35$

7mm rem mag 37$
300 win mag 33$

6.5 Creedmoor???

Looking for this rifle to take longer range shots. Thats why more into long action and mags. Eventually want to get lever action in 30-30 for closer range.

Any suggestions on rifle and caliber? Thoughts? Thx!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Help to choose caliber.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 04:50:12 AM »
Look at the 300 wsm too.   

Offline Timberstalker

• Busch Lite Rocks
  • Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 05:27:52 AM »
Are you planning to hunt deer and elk with this rifle?
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline spoonman

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 06:12:19 AM »
Not sure what your hunting but most of those will work just fine at "longer" range. How long are you talking? Also what does the price mean by each caliber?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 06:24:56 AM by spoonman »

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 06:14:02 AM »
Looks like its about the cost of a basic box of ammo.

Offline spoonman

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 06:24:17 AM »
Oh ok got it.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 06:28:31 AM »
I haven't found an animal in this state yet that won't fall prey to my .308. 

The ammo is relatively cheap and it's almost guaranteed to be in stock at a local yocal hardware store or gas station if for some reason you didn't bring enough :twocents:

I'm not arguing against the other calibers; this is my experience.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 06:52:22 AM »
6.5 ammo will run you on average $30 a box.

All those caliber's are fine, the mag rounds with shoot flatter with more recoil.

There was a guy selling some Rugers on here a day or so ago for a good price. Might look at those. I just bought a  Ruger American in 6.5 and it's shoot's moa and better out of the box.

Offline Stein

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 07:06:40 AM »
30-06, surprised I had to say it.  Update your ammo cost to $18, get a green and yellow box and roam the continent.

Offline ndcasla

• Virtual Campfire
  • Hunter
  • Groups: WAC
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 07:15:25 AM »
Go with the 300 Win Mag. It will do long range very well, and with good bullet weight selection you can take anything on the American Continent. Ammunition is also readily available in all Sporting Goods stores.

Offline b23

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 07:22:05 AM »
For an all around hunting/long range shooting rig, the 300 win mag is extremely universal and would be my first choice of those that you have listed.  If you don't reload, there is still very good quality factory ammo available for it as well.

Offline BNAElkhntr

• Scout
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
  • Groups: Life member NRA, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, SCI
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 07:23:20 AM »

Go with the 300 Win Mag. It will do long range very well, and with good bullet weight selection you can take anything on the American Continent. Ammunition is also readily available in all Sporting Goods stores.
  :yeah:
It will shoot further than most people can master Especially with reloads

Offline fowl smacker

• Scout
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 08:08:14 AM »
I'm a 300wsm fan, but from the calibers you listed 300 win mag.

Offline runamuk

• And then it happened I found my Precious
  • Explorer
  • Mine
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 08:22:28 AM »
benchleg

Offline Lincoln4

• Sourdough
  • NRA, GOA, SAF
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 08:33:39 AM »
If this is your first center fire rifle, go with the .308 or 6.5.  Good availability of ammo, and minimal recoil among the calibers listed.  Once you've developed good shooting habits, then consider moving up in recoil if you feel necessary. :twocents:
USN 82-88  ET2 Nuke
USS Mississippi CGN 40
Working on being a cancer survivor...  Six months, endoscopy and CT look good!

Offline JeffRaines

• Virtual Campfire
  • Scout
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 09:12:00 AM »
Hello everyone!

Im looking to buy a hunting rifle. So far Savage 11/111 due to great price/quality. Trying to choose in which caliber.

Oh boy. Im considering this calibers:

308 win 25$

270 win 24$
30-06 35$

7mm rem mag 37$
300 win mag 33$

6.5 Creedmoor???

Looking for this rifle to take longer range shots. Thats why more into long action and mags. Eventually want to get lever action in 30-30 for closer range.

Any suggestions on rifle and caliber? Thoughts? Thx!

Is this your first centerfire? or first rifle in general?

Everyones jumping on the magnum bandwagon, and magnums are great once you have really established the fundamentals of shooting. Thing is, most people go out and buy the biggest thing they can for their first gun because "I'm only gonna buy one so I gotta buy the one thats going to last me forever and do everything" or something along those lines. You will buy more guns later on.

If this is your first centerfire, starting with a magnum has a huge chance of giving you a flinch. Hell, you can develop a flinch shooting 243 for that matter. It doesn't matter how insensitive you are to recoil.

People also overestimate the amount of gun they need for animals. Sure, if you're hunting moose or elk buy a bigger caliber... for anything else hunt-able in Washington, you can go read tons of anecdotes on the smaller guns taking game just as effectively. A good site for this is called ballistic studies - go to knowledgebase and then go to cartridge research, they have a LOT of info on there when it comes to terminal ballistics.

If you don't already have a 22LR, I would suggest starting there. The fundamentals of marksmanship can be well established with a 22 - and not only that, you're looking at something thats a whole lot cheaper to feed. You can get 300 rounds of .22 for 30 bucks. Thats a whole lot of practice. Then, go and get yourself something like a 243 to start.

Honestly, I wish someone had told me the same thing when I started... actually, I wish I just would've listened to the people who told me this(there were a few).  :twocents:

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 09:39:36 AM »
300 wsm with a break, won稚 have to worry about developing flinch. Unscrew brake when you wont have time to put on hearing protection. 

Offline Angry Perch

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 09:48:35 AM »
There isn't a cartridge on that list that won't do absolutely everything that 95% of hunters need it to do. If by long range you mean 200-300 yards, get a practical rifle in a caliber that you can find in a rural gas station.

Online Tiger1358

• Hunter
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 09:53:07 AM »
I have that rifle in 300 Winchester Magnum. Very good shooting rifle. You can always find the ammo for lower than that, online you can buy the Federal Power Shok for less than 25 dollars, and it does sub MOA groups at 100 yards. A couple dollars more won't break your pocket, just get what works best for you. Just for shooting targets I wouldn't recommend 300 Win Mag if you haven't shot a lot, just get 308 that's cheap and effective for both shooting and hunting. However, 300WM is a great caliber for hunting and you don't have to track your animals.  If you decide to get that rifle, let me know, I'll help you with tips to make the rifle even better.

Offline TimBaleia

• Pilgrim
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2017, 01:00:34 PM »
"I'm only gonna buy one so I gotta buy the one thats going to last me forever and do everything"

Did you some how got my dairy ??? LOL

Offline SpurInSpokane

• Virtual Campfire
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA, Spokane Rifle Club
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 01:13:48 PM »
On the buy-one-do-everything rifle thing:
I was of the same mind when I bought my first (not too long ago). I wasn't thinking super-long range or anything; ended up going with .270win. Since then, I've bought two more rifles, and probably not done yet. I've bought them from other guys on here; if you get addicted to the "Weapons/Ammo Classifieds", trust me, you'll find something that tickles your fancy eventually.
I started about in the middle, others have suggested starting at the bottom and working up. I don't really think it matters, but I think it's probably best to assume, whatever you get, that you'll find something another rifle would do better.
Anything on the list will probably do most of the jobs you need it, the key is get something and get started!

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2017, 01:34:33 PM »
Everyones jumping on the magnum bandwagon, and magnums are great once you have really established the fundamentals of shooting. Thing is, most people go out and buy the biggest thing they can for their first gun because "I'm only gonna buy one so I gotta buy the one thats going to last me forever and do everything" or something along those lines. You will buy more guns later on.

If this is your first centerfire, starting with a magnum has a huge chance of giving you a flinch. Hell, you can develop a flinch shooting 243 for that matter. It doesn't matter how insensitive you are to recoil.

People also overestimate the amount of gun they need for animals. Sure, if you're hunting moose or elk buy a bigger caliber... for anything else hunt-able in Washington, you can go read tons of anecdotes on the smaller guns taking game just as effectively.
  :yeah:

I'd suggest a 270 or 308. Ammunition is readily available, is relatively inexpensive compared to others, and recoil is on the milder side compared to some others on that  list.

A flinch that throws a bullet even a couple inches at 100 yards completely negates the value of a magnum caliber for deer and elk sized animals.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline TimBaleia

• Pilgrim
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2017, 01:35:54 PM »
Guys! Thank you all so much for your input! Really appreciate it!

I like guns but I will no spend extra money for weapon from same class (a gun which will do same thing).
So I most likely will end up with one long range gun. Lever action 30-30 for medium distance.
And my Mossberg 500 with scope does fine at 100 yards.
I do own Savage Mark II 22lr rifle which is more than enough for small game and I知 practicing with it at least 2 times a month. I知 shooting 22lr and air rifles for almost 20 years, so I知 pretty good with guns in general and I知 fast learning guy. Lately got very exited about shooting traps and quickly getting better at it.

Once again thank you all for your input.

I知 not from US originally so I知 not very familiar with common calibers as in Europe I shoot what easy to get permit for (22lr and Air Guns).

I love hunting and exited about this privilege being so accessible in US.
Mainly looking for deer but will go for bigger game eventually.
I shoot only what I eat. I don稚 care about trophy.

I took a quick look on the shelf in the store and check prices and availability and came up with that list.
Also this savage 11/111 features nice price/quality relation and its available in this calibers.

I知 not reloading but eventually might start to do so.

I don稚 think that availability of the ammo on gas stations is a big factor for me as I will get ammo online and will stock up.

Talking about long range shots i mean up to 500-600 yards hunting and up to 1000 yards target/steel shooting.

I知 not planning to compete with this rifle so i will no cycle thru lots of ammo. Price of ammo is not critical, although I didn't include in this list ammo which is 100$ for box of 20. But difference f couple bucks for box will no affect my decision.

As I知 looking for meat magnums is less preferable as it will cause more meat damage.

Don't know will short action like 308 will be good enough in terms of ballistics and killing power etc.

Don't know anything about 6.5 CM so please share your experience. There is a very good reviews online and people calling this "best modern cartridge". I know its heavily used for target shooting but is it any good for hunting?

What is left is long action. 270 and 30-06. Any other calibers you guys suggest?

Seems to me that 270 is great cartridge which is hot and shooting flat, but no one mention it in the comments.

So I think that I have 3 options I知 thinking about and its 270, 30-06 and 6.5 CM.

Unless I知 wrong on my thought about short action and magnums.

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 01:40:34 PM »

Talking about long range shots i mean up to 500-600 yards hunting and up to 1000 yards target/steel shooting.

I知 not planning to compete with this rifle so i will no cycle thru lots of ammo.
If you plan to shoot at game at 500+ yards, I would suggest that you will want to cycle through lots of ammo to become proficient. That's a long poke. :twocents:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline TimBaleia

• Pilgrim
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 01:54:43 PM »

If you plan to shoot at game at 500+ yards, I would suggest that you will want to cycle through lots of ammo to become proficient. That's a long poke. :twocents:

Definitely will no take a shot like this the day I buy this rifle. I meant that i will no spend 2-3 days a week shooting 500 rounds a day as im not a professional competition shooter. I use to do this when i was competing in biathlon but its a rimfire rifle. My range have 300 yards lanes. I will no shoot my shotgun down the 300 yards. Lever action 30-30 would be what? 200 yards max? So Im looking for a rifle with which i will be able to take longer shots but not all of them will be 500-600 yards.

Thx

* Recent Topics