collapse

Author Topic: Floorless in Western WA?  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Floorless in Western WA?
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 11:11:09 AM »
I have noticed in years passed when hiking there were times walking down the trail when a person would see mice jumping across the trail in front of you. This is probably one of those years as it is my experience it's cyclic.

Offline ian_padron

• Hunter
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2017, 01:58:49 PM »
I'm not a fan of floorless shelters at all, whether in western WA or elsewhere.  Single wall floorless shelters are an ancient technology that in my mind has been improved so much as to be obsolete.

There are fans for sure, particularly with certain brands and certain brand ambassadors.

For me, I'll take a solid double wall tent for any fall through winter conditions.
Have you actually used a high quality single wall floorless shelter?

The fact that you can run a stove in a shelter makes floorless the most attractive option for late season hunting. Drying out your gear is crucial. Can't do that in a double wall.

Not to mention that a decent double wall tent weighs 2 to 3 times a similar sized floorless.

You couldn't pay me to run a double walled shelter.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Offline CLARKTAR

• Off-Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2017, 02:56:45 PM »
I'm not a fan of floorless shelters at all, whether in western WA or elsewhere.  Single wall floorless shelters are an ancient technology that in my mind has been improved so much as to be obsolete.

There are fans for sure, particularly with certain brands and certain brand ambassadors.

For me, I'll take a solid double wall tent for any fall through winter conditions.

The fact that you can run a stove in a shelter makes floorless the most attractive option for late season hunting. Drying out your gear is crucial. Can't do that in a double wall.

Not to mention that a decent double wall tent weighs 2 to 3 times a similar sized floorless.

Ditto!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline DWP

• Hunter
  • Virtual Campfire
  • Tracker
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 09:20:13 AM »
August/September hunting leaves me with options...  Do I use my Cimarron? Do I use my Cimarron with the stove?
Do I use my BA Copper Spur 1?        Or do I use my DST tarp?       

Later in the year the list of suitable options gets smaller for me...Most likely using the Cimarron with the stove as the weather gets colder & more wet.

I prefer floorless with a stove as the weather gets colder and more wet for lots of reasons... Dry out gear, get myself warm, keep my boots on going in & out of shelter, etc....

All equipment decisions are a tradeoff. Be open minded, try out various options, and find out what works for you.

Do not tell me how to live my life, and I won't tell you how to live yours.....

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2017, 10:38:06 AM »

i have spent many nights in a single wall floorless, and you could pay me, but it would have to be substantial to go back to one. everything about double wall free standing is so much easier and versatile. the stove fad is completely lost on me. wait til that thing is completely soaked on the inside and every gust of wind sends rain all over your gear inside

Offline GBoyd

• Virtual Campfire
  • Scout
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2017, 07:48:22 PM »
I prefer the single wall in all weather conditions.

The factor that does it for me is the size of the tent. I use a homemade pyramid tent that's 10x10 and weighs 1.8 pounds with a SOL emergency blanket as a ground cloth. For that weight, any double wall tents that I know about would have to be tiny. There might be less condensation in wet weather, but you also have to be rubbing against the walls all the time.

Also, I can stand up to put on my pants.

Offline froyoandpho

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: BHA
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2017, 11:07:36 PM »
It was good to hear everyone's thoughts. I ultimately decided to go with a Kifaru supertarp with the annex vestibule, in case anyone was wondering, and will run it with a ground cloth. Hopefully a low pitch will keep out any weather. Thanks everyone!

Offline swisski

• Pilgrim
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2017, 12:40:01 PM »
Floorless all day, and that's with a lot of Western Washington use. It's nice to be able to just walk into your tent and worry about getting a floor all dirty before removing your boots.

A lot of these issues listed, aside from possible rodents is just site selection. If it's real wet, say out on the Peninsula, a half liner was absolutely necessary even with the stove I was running.

I have nothing against a full tent, I've just grown real comfortable with the flourless setups.

Offline Stickerbush

• Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2017, 07:59:49 PM »
I have never run floorless but am eager to try it with the stove for cold weather stuff
Coastal Perspective.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2017, 08:31:18 PM »
Nothing like sippin a whiskey and drying your gear over the stove while rain whips down all night around you - priceless.  Dry weather the teepee / stove may be more weight than its worth. 

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Scout
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2017, 11:50:24 PM »
Mud between the toes. OH YEAH  :tup:

* Recent Topics