collapse
Sound like the real thing! Order Jason Phelps Calls Here

Author Topic: Curious. Who Packs a Handgun While Hunting?  (Read 3560 times)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Curious. Who Packs a Handgun While Hunting?
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2017, 11:47:59 PM »
I feel pretty safe in the woods with my rifle. Maybe I don't even own a handgun? Seriously it really has never even crossed my mind to carry a handgun when I'm deer or elk hunting. I bring the tools that are needed for the job, and that's it, nothing more. Yes I have a cell phone, which I feel is more beneficial for my safety than a second gun would be. With my phone, I can call 911 if necessary. Or I can text my hunting partner when I hear a shot and find out if he's got an elk down.

But you're right about one thing, I AM old.  :tup:  But not quite decrepit- yet.   8)

Offline trophyhunt

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2017, 06:04:42 AM »
My handgun is part of my body when hunting, heck, Iím carrying it more now when Iím not hunting than ever.

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2017, 06:06:17 AM »
I carry my 41 whenever I hunt or shed hunt or camp
Keep the wind in your hair, and the sun at your back.

"Mighty hunter, yes?
Fine figure of a man, yes?
That is all you need to know."

Online whackmaster

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2017, 06:22:42 AM »
In over 40 years of hunting Don't need it I got a bow in my hand  :IBCOOL:
Kimber and Tikka are my pets

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2017, 06:37:31 AM »
i'm not trying to bash anyone...i'm here to say anyone can do anything they want but i can't think that anyone would say that packing a 2-3 lb pistol would limit them from being able to hunt the way they want..

Sure sounds like you're in an "Us vs. Them" mode on this topic.  I don't think anyone said "I can't hunt with a sidearm strapped by my waist".  People just prefer to go without.  No need to pick sides.  The OP just asked a simple question about what people do, now whether there should be wolves in WA. 

Offline bhawley76

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2017, 08:01:46 AM »
I go nowhere without a pistol. No I'm not paranoid but, I would much rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Offline JohnVH

• Giggidy
  • Sourdough
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2017, 08:08:20 AM »
I go nowhere without a pistol. No I'm not paranoid but, I would much rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

bingo   :yeah:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Legend
  • Groups: WSB RMGA NRA RMEF BHA
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2017, 08:15:21 AM »
curious---who doesn't ?
Several people posted they don't.
i'm sure they have but what is there reason for not doing it ?  until i hear a credible reason for not carrying a handgun while hunting all i see are individuals that are limited to defend themselves from either 4 legged  or 2 legged preadators

My reason, which I believe many others stated as well, is just the extra weight was something I don't want to carry. When I've  already got a rifle I don't feel the need for a second gun. I have enough other things to carry as it is- binoculars, rangefinder, cell phone, GPS, etc. Plenty of stuff and I just don't need one more thing that I most likely will never have a use for.
hey if you're that old and decrepid enough to where carrying an extra 2 lbs is gonna stop you from either hunting or packing out an animal that you have shot than i'm glad i know it now rather than when we are in camp together...i've got an idea...how about leaving your cell phone in camp and packing a sidearm so i'm almost guaranteed about getting back safely rather than you being able to post your hunt/pics via face time or what ever the hell they use these days...its almost like the person who posts it quickest on social media wins...if you are that worried about packing a sidearm that weighs a couple pounds is gonna slow you down then thankfully you have never felt the need to use it-until you do

I have much higher odds of needing crutches or a splint to get back to the vehicle because I twisted my ankle in the rocks than I do needing a pistol most of the time. And when I'm rifle hunting, 99.9% of the time I'm carrying a single shot rifle. Oh the horror.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Big6bull

• Virtual Campfire
  • Scout
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2017, 08:17:10 AM »
I will always carry while bow hunting. After shooting a big bear this year during the shot my rest did not drop. As I shot it broke the prongs. ( never had this happen, even shot a dozen times the night before) thankfully the bear was close enough to still have a lethal shot. But let me tell you this blood trailing a big bear with no way to make a follow up shot in thick brush was not fun. I guess my point is I will carry because of the crazy unthinkable events that can happen. You donít know when a curve ball will come your way.

ElkNut Outdoor Productions

* Recent Topics