collapse
Free Domestic Economy Shipping Be a more successful hunter!

Author Topic: It's called respect  (Read 5469 times)

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
It's called respect
« on: October 29, 2017, 03:40:21 PM »
Ok I'm not going too get all riled again  but I just want to know why some hunters or so called hunters think its a good idea to drive around another hunters vehicle after he just watched them get out of the vehicle and walk into another area? (Too clarify the area was only 300yrds long that went too a dead end )I'm not sure about everyone else but I was always taught to be respectful and would never think twice about going into an area that I knew someone else was in. 

Offline Jellymon

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: It's called respect
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 04:14:20 PM »
Drivable roads on public land equals vehicles. We have been getting away from roads the last few years and see more animals, less people, and no cars. I agree with your post and understand the frustration, but there will always be "those people" and all you can do is hunt where they can't get thier vehicles. Or just ignore them and use thier presence/noise to your advantage. I can't remember how many times I've been near animals as they watched the road hunter drive by never to be seen by them.

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Virtual Campfire
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 04:45:59 PM »
Blows my mind  how many ignorant people are in the woods with guns and with there kids teaching them they're idea of proper ethics . Looking forward to the next generation...Not

Offline spoonman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 04:51:20 PM »
It's a  tough game out there. Roads=cars and we just have to get use to it or move into a place that cars can't go. I have a spot that is on a dead end due to a closed gate and I have to pass people (never seen anybody willing to walk) to get to that spot. Yesterday morning I  passed a truck and the guys were sitting in it glassing a cut, they weren't happy I passed. The gate that I drive to is a ways back and after the gate it's a 4 mile walk to the area that we hunt. It pays off to walk in and get out of the rig, not saying you didn't but it's hard to please everyone when there is so many hunters. Our 4 mile walk paid off with a small buck and not another person in our area. I do understand every situation is different so please  don't take offense.

Offline emac

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 04:53:20 PM »
I will play the devils advocate here. Hoe do you know that they knew the road ended in 300 yards. Maybe they have never hunted the area and didnt know the road was a dead end. I drive by hunters parked on the side of the road all the time and alot on dead end roads does that mean i should stop and turn around. Its public land and i understand your frustration and hunters ethics. If it was me i would of stoped and asked where you were going hunt and if you said you were going to the left i would of went to the right.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Virtual Campfire
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 05:09:42 PM »
You can play devil advocate all you  want, public land or not if I see a vehicle  parked on a road aka a spur rd, I'm plain and simple turning around  and trying my best not to disturb there hunt and going to another area of the 500,000 acres of "public land" that's out there. If I see a hunter parked at a gate  before i got there,waiting till daylight ill walk over to his vehicle and ask him if he minds if I go in after him or ask where he's going and go the opposite.  In my mind its common sense.

Offline notellumcreek

• Virtual Campfire
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 05:12:02 PM »
Had it happen 2 times the other day in kapowsin. Lucky for me you have to actually hike over the edge of the hill about 100 yds off the road to actually see most of the cut and the tree line. I guess some people get lucky killing deer driving roads but dont ruin it for the guys who put in the work to bag an animal.
CBM- commemorative bucks of michigannn

Offline Antlershed

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 05:18:37 PM »
Today I had two guys block a road that wasnít a spur. I opted to avoid confrontation but it pissed me off as the road they were blocking led to a big area with multiple places to go.

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Virtual Campfire
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 05:32:08 PM »
Antlershed , now that's just wrong but good for you for not making the situation get out of hand.  I had my boy with me today and believe me,  I had to bite my tongue very hard.   :bash:

Offline vandeman17

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 05:43:33 PM »
Roads are available for anyone to drive as little or as far as they want. Even if the rig is parked at the end doesn't mean they have to or even should leave. There is plenty of area to hunt and getting bent out of shape about it does no good.  :twocents:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline BA Mongor

• Off-Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 06:07:49 PM »
As part of woods security, but on a day off hunting, I had to drag a small Toyota backwards 30ft, because he thought it would be smart to park in front of a through gate. It's not a mainline gate, but it's a way out, and a heck of a drive back if you can't use it. I agree with a lot of individuals just not getting it. I had (2) young guys drive around my truck on a dead end road. The road only goes for another 1/4 mile, and if you stop at this corner your sound doesn't carry.

These boys rounded the corner as I was walking up it, and they kept coming! I just stayed in the middle of the skid road shaking my head, until they finally figured it out that I wasn't going to move. They backed down. That'll teach me to park off to the side, and leave just enough room for someone to get by, in case they did really need to get up there. It used to be that people got the hint.

I also agree with the other post when individuals are already at a gated spot. If it's a big area, and they're still there, talk to them. It's just common courtesy. :twocents:

Offline runamuk

• And then it happened I found my Precious
  • Explorer
  • Mine
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 06:39:52 PM »
Is hunting season over yet, this old argument is just as old and tired in 2017 as it was in 2009.

Either go to places without roads or get over yourself and realize roads are for driving.  This is truly your problem not an ethical dilemma. It was also my problem when it used to annoy me.  I simply changed how I hunt and how I respond to others.
benchleg

Offline Stein

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 06:51:49 PM »
Happens all the time, I was passed by four wheelers in a closed area, saw a guy set up a huge camp blocking road access (foot only) into an area.  The best we can do is do our best and teach what we feel are proper ethics to those we have influence over.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 06:56:38 PM »
Take into consideration some of these people may be handicap hunting.

Offline hunter399

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 07:19:58 PM »
Trying to keep my post respectful,not every road Hunter is all they do a lot times ,i will hike behind gates in the mourning,then maybe finish the day driving in the evening or the other way around,road hunt mourning ,gate hunt evenings.Public land is for everybody!,I find it very rude and disrespectful to block roads,stand in the middle of the road and make people backup,or to think you own the last 300 feet of a road cause it dead ends.I feel ya about the amount of people out ,roads are there for everybody to use,I have a few stands that are close to public road and I get a little disappointed every time someone comes down the road.But you have to deal with it ,or hunt elsewhere.

Offline pygmy1985

• Tracker
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 07:23:07 PM »
Ok I'm not going too get all riled again  but I just want to know why some hunters or so called hunters think its a good idea to drive around another hunters vehicle after he just watched them get out of the vehicle and walk into another area? (Too clarify the area was only 300yrds long that went too a dead end )I'm not sure about everyone else but I was always taught to be respectful and would never think twice about going into an area that I knew someone else was in.
Yes, I can your  frustration with the situation. However, it may not be apparent that the road only went for another 300 yards, especially if it's dark. Also, a dead end road can be used by other hunters to get into an area, not necessarily the patch that you want to hunt.  Now, if they were sat right next to you at a small clearcut, that'd be plain disrespectful and weird.  But public land is public land.

Offline Milkman

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 07:29:19 PM »
Let me start off my by saying this is MY opinion.... and opinions are like ....eceryone has one

Oooook..... If I know the road ends...BLOCK THE MFN ROAD. I mean.... Not to be a D. But either it ends 300 yards up or where u parked. Either way dude is gonna have to turn around right?!
I've had a guy park at a Y (to the left side) I went right (road needed over a mile up on the R) he was on the right with a ground blind....in the road. I left me crystal ball at home. 
Is what it is guys.
Maybe leave a note on your rig?  I know it sucks at times... it is public land. Don't be a *censored*
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 07:33:34 PM by h20hunter »

Offline hunter399

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 07:38:00 PM »
I do have one question ,is the turn around at the end of the road,alot of roads dead end , then there's a spot at the end where everybody turn around.

Offline Milkman

• Hunter
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 07:41:09 PM »
I do have one question ,is the turn around at the end of the road,alot of roads dead end , then there's a spot at the end where everybody turn around.

Where I go.... they End. No, zero circle or cul de sac if you will. I drive a jeep and need to do a 8 point turn around haha

Offline SCRUBS

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 08:02:00 PM »
Is hunting season over yet, this old argument is just as old and tired in 2017 as it was in 2009.

Either go to places without roads or get over yourself and realize roads are for driving.  This is truly your problem not an ethical dilemma. It was also my problem when it used to annoy me.  I simply changed how I hunt and how I respond to others.

:yeah: :yeah:

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Virtual Campfire
  • Hunter
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2017, 08:31:31 PM »
 My son was at the end of the road and i was just down about 100yrds glassing the same cut, then this guy came roaring in and parked in between my boy and I, mine you we where both visible from main road so he knew exactly what he was doing... he was just pissedw pulled in to that area before he did.    I agree with the whole PUBLIC RD issue ok and I have nothing against road hunters, I road hunt myself after a morning of hiking in somewhere, I get it.  My ole man taught me when you see someone parked in an area let them have it and go find somewhere else.. maybe you'll just have to get up A little earlier next time.  It's not rocket science is actually easy,  again its common sense, respect for a fellow hunter . Go and find another area get over yourself and enjoy the outdoors with friends and family .

Offline runamuk

• And then it happened I found my Precious
  • Explorer
  • Mine
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 09:40:20 PM »
Let me start off my by saying this is MY opinion.... and opinions are like ....eceryone has one

Oooook..... If I know the road ends...BLOCK THE MFN ROAD. I mean.... Not to be a D. But either it ends 300 yards up or where u parked. Either way dude is gonna have to turn around right?!
I've had a guy park at a Y (to the left side) I went right (road needed over a mile up on the R) he was on the right with a ground blind....in the road. I left me crystal ball at home. 
Is what it is guys.
Maybe leave a note on your rig?  I know it sucks at times... it is public land. Don't be a *censored*

If you block a road you deserve to get towed or have your truck screwed with.  Just saying if you are that D bag you get what's coming  (in a perfect world anyway). 

Why can't people just frigging share.
It's stiff like this that makes me hesitant to hunt because gawd knows who I am pissing off just trying to find somewhere to hunt. 

I used to be able to go away from people now life makes it really hard for me to even get to a place to hunt.  I just try to do my thing and stay out of everyone's way.

There are more rude people out there than you can count, just find a way to do you and let them do them.
benchleg

Offline jnordwell

• Pilgrim
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 09:48:13 PM »
Hell a few years ago was bow hunting elk over by mt Adams parked at a trail head was waiting for it to get lighter. Had a rig park and 3guys damn near bent my mirrors back walking in. It was a good 30 mins before any light to shoot from.. made a lot of sense I thought.. now I tell my kids people are *censored*...thatís the only reason I can come with.. when I was kid if there was a rig where you wanted to go you found a different spot and got there earlier the next day.. not now have seen 12 rigs a gate this year.. craziness
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 07:58:02 AM by KFhunter »

Offline colersu22

• Virtual Campfire
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2017, 09:48:38 PM »
When something like the OP mentioned on a road you can legally drive on I just brush it off.  What pisses me off is when you hike 2-3 miles into a DNR walk in access area to have people drive by you and when you question them they act like you speak a foreign language.

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2017, 09:49:32 PM »
Roads are for driving, not walking and hunting from.  Wipe it.

* Recent Topics

Sonís montana buck by tmike
[Today at 03:59:41 AM]

Big Blacktails on this thread? by scottfrick
[Today at 03:54:44 AM]

Filled my multi season tag by scottfrick
[Today at 03:45:44 AM]

2017 Deer, post them here (photos & stats) by 280win
[Today at 03:07:58 AM]

Walther P22 review???? by b23
[Today at 01:56:49 AM]

coming soon by wheels
[Today at 01:10:49 AM]

Anybody breeding meat rabbit? by HighlandLofts
[Yesterday at 11:59:06 PM]

Mica Peak Moose question by steeleywhopper
[Yesterday at 11:37:11 PM]

2017 Elk, post them here (photos & stats) by Pete112288
[Yesterday at 11:36:44 PM]

Late Swakane rifle tags by Magnum_Willys
[Yesterday at 11:17:37 PM]

GMU 448 Stillaguamish (Skykomish) Late Buck? by stickbuck
[Yesterday at 11:10:00 PM]

Elk area 4601 / beginning elk hunting advice by Dan-o
[Yesterday at 11:03:51 PM]

Kayaks, Who hunts with them? Let's see your set up. by lokidog
[Yesterday at 11:00:09 PM]

Trump Administration Lifts Ban on Imports of Elephant Hunting Trophies by lokidog
[Yesterday at 10:55:56 PM]

My crockpot cooking by Widgeondeke
[Yesterday at 10:53:23 PM]

Bear Hunter 2017/2018 Trapping Season by bear hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:19 PM]

Kori (Hancock) traps by bear hunter
[Yesterday at 10:30:27 PM]

Wifeís Montana buck by Hot Lunch
[Yesterday at 10:21:54 PM]

Spokane/cda area butcher shop for a deer? by outdooraddict
[Yesterday at 10:18:36 PM]

Rogue's Gallery of bucks in my backyard by JWEBB