collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: St Helens permit holders  (Read 7072 times)

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: St Helens permit holders
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2017, 09:27:46 PM »
Article doesn't say how many elk but it does say "state wildlife managers say it’s “likely” they will also cull the most severely affected animals."

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/editors-blog/wdfw-plans-begin-killing-worst-elk-sw-wa/

One thing is for sure, everyone has a theory about the severe decrease of elk in the SW area.
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

“Patrick Mahomes is what Seahawks fans think Russell Wilson is.”

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2017, 01:08:33 PM »
I remember when that was being discussed.  No questions there.

But airlifting 1400 dead elk, gonna need a little bit more verification on that part...
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2017, 02:51:47 PM »
I remember when that was being discussed.  No questions there.

But airlifting 1400 dead elk, gonna need a little bit more verification on that part...

Yeah, no doubt. Like I said, a lot of rumors are floating around and everyone has an opinion, kinda like that old telephone game. Only thing I know for sure is, there isn't even close to the number of elk there used to be in the St.Helens tree farm. Not seeing elk is one thing but seeing very limited elk sign is very alarming.
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2017, 02:56:03 PM »
Rumors, .. fact is,  between hoof rot, predators and lack of forage, the numbers are down.
Combine that with increased antlerless and opening of Margaret to general...
WDFW is now in the tree growing business..
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2017, 04:00:29 PM »
"RUMORS" run rampant when hunters stop seeing elk.  I just think most rumors start when the road hunters aren't hitting the elk or deer with the truck and need a reason to tell their wife why they get to spend all the time away from the family and spend huge sums of money to never get an animal. HAhaha .  The herd was well over objectives and then they offered huge amounts of antlerless to reduce herd size coupled with Hoofrot and you will definitely be seeing way less animals.  But I still love and hope its true that the timber industry is the cause behind Hoofrot.  That however is more of personal vindictive feeling then backed by anything factual or scientific.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00771/sthelens_01.pdf

Offline BA Mongor

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2017, 07:02:45 PM »
Elk Chaser,

I'm in my mid 50's, and was born and raised on the border of the Weyerhaeuser woods. I've spent my entire life up there, and still spend well over 200 days a year up there. As far as the area being well over the objectives, this was specific to a small area of the St. Helens herd. Mainly the animals concentrating around the mudflow The fact that the state handed out thousands of cow permits, while the herd was decreasing at a dramatic rate, was ridiculous.

Couple that with we now have more big cats than I have ever seen, hoof rot, and you have herds that are decimated, and at their lowest point ever. It's exactly what Weyerhaeuser wanted. How they continue to call the Toutle a Quality Tag, is beyond me. Is it better than the surrounding units, yes, but not by much.

Bottom line is, the herds should be allowed to rebuild, and they won't due that until we reduce the permits, kill more predators, and hopefully find a cure for hoof rot.

BA

Offline ph-10 bow

• Tracker
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2017, 08:49:51 PM »
there is another twist guys and I know a lot of you have noticed the herbacides are killing everything for 3 plus years. No food for the animals! the federal government is responsible for approving and policing  private timber companies. So guess what there doing what they want $$ grow trees as fast as they can.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2017, 02:07:44 AM »
Elk Chaser,

I'm in my mid 50's, and was born and raised on the border of the Weyerhaeuser woods. I've spent my entire life up there, and still spend well over 200 days a year up there. As far as the area being well over the objectives, this was specific to a small area of the St. Helens herd. Mainly the animals concentrating around the mudflow The fact that the state handed out thousands of cow permits, while the herd was decreasing at a dramatic rate, was ridiculous.

Couple that with we now have more big cats than I have ever seen, hoof rot, and you have herds that are decimated, and at their lowest point ever. It's exactly what Weyerhaeuser wanted. How they continue to call the Toutle a Quality Tag, is beyond me. Is it better than the surrounding units, yes, but not by much.

Bottom line is, the herds should be allowed to rebuild, and they won't due that until we reduce the permits, kill more predators, and hopefully find a cure for hoof rot.

BA

From my experience in the area, this sounds like the closet to the truth that I've heard.
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2017, 07:21:26 AM »
Elk Chaser,

BA

From my experience in the area, this sounds like the closet to the truth that I've heard.

:yeah:
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:04:10 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]