collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Some Tri Cities advice please  (Read 7348 times)

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Some Tri Cities advice please
« on: November 24, 2017, 06:31:56 PM »
I have 2 grandsons who moved to the Tri Cities area. They were never real outgoing except when I took them out. Now they are home schooled, and sit around playing video games. Once in a while they walk down to the river. I'm not much of a fisherman. Does anyone know of anywhere I can take them winter-spring when we visit to "get out in the woods" so to speak. They don't hunt, and probably won't ever but I have taken them shooting. Maybe a quarry or something around we can go shoot? Not looking for honey holes or whatever, just be nice to go shoot or hike or see some animals with them instead of watching them play PS4. Thanks. (anywhere within like an hour or so would help.)

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
Re: Some Tri Cities advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 06:36:09 PM »
Plenty, when your trips get closer post this again. Walking/hiking, look up mcnary wildlife refuge and the surrounding units, you'll find links with maps on the mnlcnary website. Rattlesnake mountain range to shoot guns in a controlled environment. Badger mountain trails for a get out and hike excercise environment.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 07:04:20 PM »
Plenty, when your trips get closer post this again. Walking/hiking, look up mcnary wildlife refuge and the surrounding units, you'll find links with maps on the mnlcnary website. Rattlesnake mountain range to shoot guns in a controlled environment. Badger mountain trails for a get out and hike excercise environment.
I appreciate it. I'll hit you up in spring. I was going to head out there around Christmas but my wife just said different. I've got to get them off the couch. Thanks.

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 07:47:30 PM »
Juniper Dunes Wilderness just outside Pasco is awesome to explore. The Far East side of the area is walk in only. Hike until you’re content , bring water.

Quite a few HMU’s along the Snake and Columbia that is decent bird hunting, fun to explore.

Out on the Big Flat HMU along the Snake, there is a shallow clay bar that extends quite far into the river. Can wade through out it and drop a jig in the deep pockets for small mouth and the occasional Catfish, it’s a fun and different afternoon.

Just tend your own and live.

Offline WaHeadhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 09:15:06 PM »
In and hour and 20 minutes if you head for Dayton, you're in God's country, the Blue Mts and Tucannon!

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 10:33:09 PM »
Juniper Dunes Wilderness just outside Pasco is awesome to explore. The Far East side of the area is walk in only. Hike until you’re content , bring water.

Quite a few HMU’s along the Snake and Columbia that is decent bird hunting, fun to explore.

Out on the Big Flat HMU along the Snake, there is a shallow clay bar that extends quite far into the river. Can wade through out it and drop a jig in the deep pockets for small mouth and the occasional Catfish, it’s a fun and different afternoon.

Thanks. Haven't fished since I was a kid. That would be fun. I knew about Jupiter Dunes but wasn't sure about access.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 10:34:45 PM »
In and hour and 20 minutes if you head for Dayton, you're in God's country, the Blue Mts and Tucannon!
Probably sounds dumb but I didn't even realize how close that was. That would make a good overnight. Thanks.

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 07:10:24 AM »

Thanks. Haven't fished since I was a kid. That would be fun. I knew about Jupiter Dunes but wasn't sure about access.

Access is still there. PK Hwy to Pederson rd.

Feel free to PM me for detailed access directions to the back.
Just tend your own and live.

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 07:55:38 AM »
A simple walk I like to take(no shooting allowed) and I've also ridden my mountain bike through numerous times is the Chamna preserve right along the Yakima river in Richland. Lots of birds in the trees, ducks in the river. If your quiet you might see a deer. In fact the last time I was out there a few weeks ago I saw a pair of turkeys run up the trail ahead of me.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 08:16:56 AM »

Access is still there. PK Hwy to Pederson rd.

Feel free to PM me for detailed access directions to the back.
Thanks.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 08:18:16 AM »
A simple walk I like to take(no shooting allowed) and I've also ridden my mountain bike through numerous times is the Chamna preserve right along the Yakima river in Richland. Lots of birds in the trees, ducks in the river. If your quiet you might see a deer. In fact the last time I was out there a few weeks ago I saw a pair of turkeys run up the trail ahead of me.
Thanks. Sounds like there is a lot more to see than I thought.

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 02:36:37 PM »
There are some cool trails in the W.E. Johnson Park off Hall Road in Richland as well as an archery range. I've seen mule deer, coyote, ringneck pheasants and lots of other birds around there.

There are a couple of shooting areas near Benton City (PM for info), but we generally go to the Rattlesnake range. The range officers do a good job to keep things moving safely and efficiently.

I've been meaning to get out to the Hanford Reach Monument and the Columbia National Wildlife Rescue as well. Lots of people kayak and do standing paddleboards in the warmer seasons.

There's also Red Mountain Trails for short horseback trail rides. http://www.redmountaintrails.com/

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 04:29:07 PM »
If it is hot in the basin run up Mill creek in Walla Walla county and walk the watershed trail, 10-20 degrees cooler

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 10:07:54 PM »
There are some cool trails in the W.E. Johnson Park off Hall Road in Richland as well as an archery range. I've seen mule deer, coyote, ringneck pheasants and lots of other birds around there.

There are a couple of shooting areas near Benton City (PM for info), but we generally go to the Rattlesnake range. The range officers do a good job to keep things moving safely and efficiently.

I've been meaning to get out to the Hanford Reach Monument and the Columbia National Wildlife Rescue as well. Lots of people kayak and do standing paddleboards in the warmer seasons.

There's also Red Mountain Trails for short horseback trail rides. http://www.redmountaintrails.com/
Thanks. I'll send u a msg closer to spring. For the rattlesnake range is that a yearly membership or can u just pay for a day pass? Thank u for the park information too.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 10:08:54 PM »
If it is hot in the basin run up Mill creek in Walla Walla county and walk the watershed trail, 10-20 degrees cooler
Good to know thanks. Last summer when they moved over there it was too hot to get them out of the house haha

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]