collapse
For a Day of FISHING & EXCITEMENT Experience World Class Salmon Fishing.

Author Topic: When the rivers are blown... go SQUIDDING  (Read 1537 times)

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
When the rivers are blown... go SQUIDDING
« on: November 26, 2017, 09:20:05 PM »
Finally got out for the first time in about ten years. Used to be go out in the middle of the night in the cold, wind and rain. Being so far away from the traditional squid areas, Steilicoom, Edmonds, the ferris wheel, to name a few, I haven't been motivated to head out.

This fall, I joined a Facebook page, Washington Squid Fishing, and have been drooling over the continued reports of masses amount of squid being caught at all hours of the day, even in daylight.  Say what??? 

Anyways, finally decided to head over this afternoon and give it a try.  A guy was going to meet me in Edmonds to sell me some jigs.  I get there at 2:30, no guy.  Finally, at three fifteen or so I ask someone if I may borrow one.  Sure, good to go.

By 5 I had caught 13 and called it quits.  Of course, the Asian fisherpeople were hauling them in left and right compared to me.  :chuckle:

Online Boss .300 winmag

• Best Biggie Blogger
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • DAN-O CAN'T TAKE BIGGIE PICS
Re: When the rivers are blown... go SQUIDDING
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 09:30:37 PM »
Nice job Lokidog. :tup:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.

Keep Calm And Duc On!

Online jrebel

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 12:07:56 AM »
 :drool: :drool: :drool:  Looks delicious!!  Remember doing this as a young boy with my dad and his friends.  Never been since but would love to give it a try one of these days.  Congrats on a nice haul of great eats. 

Online boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 04:58:32 AM »
That looks awesome

Offline jackmaster

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 06:42:39 AM »
I know a place right here in deskounes that sells the best squid jigs , if you want a few I can go get some and ship them to you? It's a real piss cutter when someone says they will be somewhere and then pulls a no show !!
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 07:13:35 AM »
I know a place right here in deskounes that sells the best squid jigs , if you want a few I can go get some and ship them to you? It's a real piss cutter when someone says they will be somewhere and then pulls a no show !!

Thanks.  He'll be shipping them this week. Do you know what they sell for? I'll keep your offer in mind.   :tup:

Offline jackmaster

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 08:30:57 AM »

Thanks.  He'll be shipping them this week. Do you know what they sell for? I'll keep your offer in mind.   :tup:
if I remember right they were about 2.50 each, I haven't bought any in a long time because you generally don't lose them when your squiding!! Let me know if they don't show, I can get them pretty much anytime, he is usually pretty well stocked up this time of year!!

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 08:38:08 AM »

if I remember right they were about 2.50 each, I haven't bought any in a long time because you generally don't lose them when your squiding!! Let me know if they don't show, I can get them pretty much anytime, he is usually pretty well stocked up this time of year!!

What/where is deskounes? Do you squid?

Online magnanimous_j

• Off-Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 08:41:56 AM »
Finally got out for the first time in about ten years. Used to be go out in the middle of the night in the cold, wind and rain. Being so far away from the traditional squid areas, Steilicoom, Edmonds, the ferris wheel, to name a few, I haven't been motivated to head out.

This fall, I joined a Facebook page, Washington Squid Fishing, and have been drooling over the continued reports of masses amount of squid being caught at all hours of the day, even in daylight.  Say what??? 

Anyways, finally decided to head over this afternoon and give it a try.  A guy was going to meet me in Edmonds to sell me some jigs.  I get there at 2:30, no guy.  Finally, at three fifteen or so I ask someone if I may borrow one.  Sure, good to go.

By 5 I had caught 13 and called it quits.  Of course, the Asian fisherpeople were hauling them in left and right compared to me.  :chuckle:

You caught all those during the DAY?

Offline jackmaster

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 08:54:09 AM »

What/where is deskounes? Do you squid?
sorry, I have no idea how auto correct came up with that, it's in Des Moines !! I do squid , but I go just to catch halibut bait !! I haven't squided during the day though !! I usually take my generator and light and go down to Ruston way and join the mess of non English speakers that love to get elbow to elbow  :chuckle:

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 09:01:28 AM »
I figured it was Des Moines.   :chuckle:

I was thinking about saving some for lingcod bait if I got enough.

Offline jackmaster

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 09:04:13 AM »
I figured it was Des Moines.   :chuckle:

I was thinking about saving some for lingcod bait if I got enough.
definetly do, I think it's the next best thing next to kelp greenling!! It's great for halibut to because you don't have to worry about it coming off after you send it down 600 plus feet  :chuckle:

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 05:41:00 PM »
Don't want to hijack this thread... but has anyone done any squidding down along ruston way and pt defiance? If so was it any good? I haven't done any squid jigging for quite a few years but might go again this year.

Offline jackmaster

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 05:46:11 PM »
Don't want to hijack this thread... but has anyone done any squidding down along ruston way and pt defiance? If so was it any good? I haven't done any squid jigging for quite a few years but might go again this year.
its hit and miss , somenights it's crazy othernifhts your doing good if you come home with 5

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 06:09:22 PM »

You caught all those during the DAY?

Missed this... to my surprise, heck yeah!

Offline Stein

• Frontiersman
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 08:00:23 PM »
Nice, I'm really tempted to hit Edmonds during the break.  I have several jigs I bought when I used to work next to the ferry dock and never made it out.  The only thing keeping me back is the crowds, but then I remember I shrimp in 8-2.

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 08:15:52 PM »
Nice, I'm really tempted to hit Edmonds during the break.  I have several jigs I bought when I used to work next to the ferry dock and never made it out.  The only thing keeping me back is the crowds, but then I remember I shrimp in 8-2.

When I was there last Sunday, there was a small group near the end of the pier when I got there at 2:30.  This group did not increase much in size to when I left. The area near the bend increased quite a bit, but there was still room for new people.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Site Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 08:22:03 PM »
Gross :0.
Darton Archery Maverick II
"Sir, left side Sir!" "Are you sure Private Pyle?"
Elknut Field Staff

Offline Stein

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 01:32:06 PM »

When I was there last Sunday, there was a small group near the end of the pier when I got there at 2:30.  This group did not increase much in size to when I left. The area near the bend increased quite a bit, but there was still room for new people.

Thanks  :tup:

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 01:35:26 PM »
Nice haul. 

Offline Schmalzfam

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 05:07:36 PM »
Awesome job!!

Offline asmith

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 06:09:42 PM »
Man would i love to go after some fresh calimari.  I love squid!  Nice job
Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 09:49:37 PM »

Haven't been back out, but it seems the season is winding down.  Some people are still catching though.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Hunter
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 04:07:57 PM »

Haven't been back out, but it seems the season is winding down.  Some people are still catching though.
Season is pretty much over. Fewer squid and smaller size coming up now. I did get out a couple times. Got 16 my first time out running solo and then went out to dash point with the wife and a buddy and caught a dozen myself and the wife got 1 lol. She is hooked though for sure! Next year I will be more prepared! Thanks for posting this thread Loki! It reminded me that just because deer season is over doesn't mean I can't put more meat in the freezer! I don't know if you have Facebook but there is a Washington Squid jigging group on there that has a lot of great people on it! Check it out!

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 06:40:36 PM »

Season is pretty much over. Fewer squid and smaller size coming up now. I did get out a couple times. Got 16 my first time out running solo and then went out to dash point with the wife and a buddy and caught a dozen myself and the wife got 1 lol. She is hooked though for sure! Next year I will be more prepared! Thanks for posting this thread Loki! It reminded me that just because deer season is over doesn't mean I can't put more meat in the freezer! I don't know if you have Facebook but there is a Washington Squid jigging group on there that has a lot of great people on it! Check it out!

You are welcome.  It is something that is a nice diversion.  I really like that they can be caught during the day, who knew? 

* Recent Topics