collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Grizzly Bear Hunt  (Read 7040 times)

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Grizzly Bear Hunt
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 01:20:28 PM »
RB - got another pm heading your way when you weed out your inbox  :tup:

Fixed it, wow did not realize it was full thanks!
IAFF #3728

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 01:20:58 PM »
IAFF #3728

Offline JWBINX

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: LIFE NRA, RMEF
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2017, 08:09:15 AM »
I've shot 2 mountain Grizzly's in British Columbia back in the 90's ,1 in the spring and 1 in the fall, yes most people shoot this type of trophy for
 the hides only, However I don't kill anything that I don't consume! I made North country sausage and had a couple of the hams
smoked at Mt. View meats. The sausage was great and hams were good. If you were to see worms in the meat of course you should not eat it.
It's tough to kill something, skin it and leave the meat even though it does not get wasted. Good luck on your draw! Nice to have relatives in AK.

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2017, 10:19:34 AM »
I've shot 2 mountain Grizzly's in British Columbia back in the 90's ,1 in the spring and 1 in the fall, yes most people shoot this type of trophy for
 the hides only, However I don't kill anything that I don't consume! I made North country sausage and had a couple of the hams
smoked at Mt. View meats. The sausage was great and hams were good. If you were to see worms in the meat of course you should not eat it.
It's tough to kill something, skin it and leave the meat even though it does not get wasted. Good luck on your draw! Nice to have relatives in AK.

This is the kinda reply I was hoping for thank you. Just submitted last night for the draw and will find out in February if drawn. Crazy easy to apply and fairly inexpensive $185 to buy a hunting license and apply for two draw hunts ( I put in for really long shot Moose hunt as well) if drawn the Bear tag is $1000 though.
IAFF #3728

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 07:51:25 AM »

This is the kinda reply I was hoping for thank you. Just submitted last night for the draw and will find out in February if drawn. Crazy easy to apply and fairly inexpensive $185 to buy a hunting license and apply for two draw hunts ( I put in for really long shot Moose hunt as well) if drawn the Bear tag is $1000 though.

Goodluck, but the real expense comes when you have to hire the guide after being drawn.  They know they have a captive audience
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 08:54:22 AM »

Goodluck, but the real expense comes when you have to hire the guide after being drawn.  They know they have a captive audience

I cannot hire a guide if drawn this is only good for second degree of kindred it states it on the application. The Moose I could hire a guide if need be, but I might have a better chance at winning the powerball than drawing that tag, but you can't win if you don't play!
IAFF #3728

Offline wideleft

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 09:12:53 AM »
I'm sure the other bears, wolves, magpies and scavengers will appreciate your effort and success.  Those winters are brutal, and to have a protein packed meal just sitting there is good for the ecosystem.  Good luck and enjoy the hunt if you get drawn.

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2017, 12:02:08 PM »
If fish and game doesn't require you to take the meat there is a reason  :chuckle: I've tried it several times and it has never been good. Awesome hunt! Put aside an additional 3k for your rug  :tup:
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2017, 12:49:59 PM »
If fish and game doesn't require you to take the meat there is a reason  :chuckle: I've tried it several times and it has never been good. Awesome hunt! Put aside an additional 3k for your rug  :tup:

Thank you for the reply was hoping those that have had it would chime in, and yes the rug will not be cheap  :)

Really impressed how easy it was to apply and how many times a guy can apply for the same hunt.
IAFF #3728

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2017, 01:08:14 PM »

Thank you for the reply was hoping those that have had it would chime in, and yes the rug will not be cheap  :)

Really impressed how easy it was to apply and how many times a guy can apply for the same hunt.

6x the fun 6x the money thats how AK works lol... If you put in for a SE tag start making your plans now  :tup:
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2017, 01:22:45 PM »

6x the fun 6x the money thats how AK works lol... If you put in for a SE tag start making your plans now  :tup:

Except Bull Moose can only put in 3x
IAFF #3728

Offline mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2017, 08:31:26 PM »
Hunted out of Sitka a few years back. You will have a blast! The "Shiras" brownie's grow Big and Dark👍
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2017, 09:15:14 PM »
I lived in Sitka a number of years and killed two of my own brown bears and was on a few other hunts, before and after the kill. I ate parts of at least 5 different bears killed in both spring and fall on fish streams. None that I ate was worse than some rutty bucks I have eaten, and some was downright good. I have had the same experience with black bears up there. I think the turned up noses to bear meat stems from mainly here say (so-an-so says bear meat is bad so it must be) and a general dislike of the idea of wild omnivore and carnivore meat by most people.

Save the meat unless there is a good reason not to.

To clarify, spring brown bear is recommended to be saved and you have to retain spring black bear in most areas. Only fall bears are exempted from salvage.

I like that AK lays out in the regs what is mandatory to be salvaged.  It really kind of disappointed me about the ambiguity of what needs salvaged in WA and that in ID only the main muscles needed salvaged.

Can’t remember about the AK squirrels and marmot regs, but you can shoot cormorants and crows as long as you keep some feathers.

Offline mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2017, 11:44:49 PM »
I lived in Sitka a number of years and killed two of my own brown bears and was on a few other hunts, before and after the kill. I ate parts of at least 5 different bears killed in both spring and fall on fish streams. None that I ate was worse than some rutty bucks I have eaten, and some was downright good. I have had the same experience with black bears up there. I think the turned up noses to bear meat stems from mainly here say (so-an-so says bear meat is bad so it must be) and a general dislike of the idea of wild omnivore and carnivore meat by most people.

Save the meat unless there is a good reason not to.

To clarify, spring brown bear is recommended to be saved and you have to retain spring black bear in most areas. Only fall bears are exempted from salvage.

I like that AK lays out in the regs what is mandatory to be salvaged.  It really kind of disappointed me about the ambiguity of what needs salvaged in WA and that in ID only the main muscles needed salvaged.

Can’t remember about the AK squirrels and marmot regs, but you can shoot cormorants and crows as long as you keep some feathers.
did you know Scott Elmer with the fire dept.? We hunted off Halleck Island, stay I g at Allen Point..
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2017, 09:34:59 PM »
I knew Scott by name only.

I hunted Nakwasina, Halley Is, and stayed at Allen Point more than a few times!  Great area up there!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]