collapse

Author Topic: Backcountry with kiddos  (Read 1385 times)

Offline AJ Howard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • Albert Jess Howard Jr
Re: Backcountry with kiddos
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 03:59:08 PM »
It has been awesome seeing all of the different pieces of advice to offer! I have an 18 month old right now. We did two overnight backpack trips but one thing we are struggling with is their sleeping situation. My wife nor I have a big wnough bag to accommodate one of us and the baby (toddler now). So I am wondering what others have done. Because if it is backpacking, weight doesn't sound enjoyable. But is it just one of those things to do? But is it safe for them to have their own sleeping bag? Just curious what everyone else has done..

Offline Moe the Sleaze

• Tracker
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 04:17:15 PM »
I had a pair of fleece pants.  Those smaller kids fit right in one of the legs.  Tie a knot where you need it.

Offline Moe the Sleaze

• Tracker
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 04:27:42 PM »
Second Beach out at La Push is a great place to camp with kids.  The "backpack" down to the beach can be a challenge because there are some stairs, but it's less than a mile.  Build sand castles, fly a kite, watch for Bald Eagles, explore the tidepools, have a nice beach fire.  My kids loved it every time we went.  Supplies are not that far away if you run out of something.

Offline thom9719

• Virtual Campfire
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2018, 01:45:00 PM »
It has been awesome seeing all of the different pieces of advice to offer! I have an 18 month old right now. We did two overnight backpack trips but one thing we are struggling with is their sleeping situation. My wife nor I have a big wnough bag to accommodate one of us and the baby (toddler now). So I am wondering what others have done. Because if it is backpacking, weight doesn't sound enjoyable. But is it just one of those things to do? But is it safe for them to have their own sleeping bag? Just curious what everyone else has done..

My wife found a pair of heavy duty sleeping footy pajamas that don't require a sleeping bag. My son was 18 mo at the time and slept between us (with each of us in our own sleeping bag). He was plenty warm at night and so tired from the day's adventures that he passed out immediately!

We now have 2 kids 1 and almost 3, and are looking to try backpacking with both of them. Fingers crossed we can make it work. They both seem to love the outdoors!

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
  • Nice...............
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 01:58:12 PM »
Something to suck on so their mouths won't dry out while hiking. I learned that from hiking into the Goat Rocks years ago.
I could care less about what anybody says..............

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2018, 09:25:21 AM »
My wife and I had the kid sleep in between us on our trips last summer. Except one warmer trip where he slept on his own at our heads on a foam mat with has blanket. We also had good luck with those synthetic puffy and/or fleece suits that Columbia makes for kids.  We use an EXPED SynMat HL Duo mat with a 2-person quilt in our tent to fit all 3 of us on.

* Recent Topics

Wtb Remington 700 sa stock by jackelope
[Today at 03:44:34 PM]

F/S - Vortex Crossfire 1 - 4 rifle scope by cohocrazy
[Today at 03:39:54 PM]

Any feed back on leupold vx-3i lrp 8.5-25x50mm? by Antlershed
[Today at 03:35:09 PM]

Bakflip mx4 by Antlershed
[Today at 03:28:44 PM]

F/S: Tires 285/70-17 by Zuus
[Today at 03:28:28 PM]

Anybody hunt pork in Hawaii? by Shaqdiesel