collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Roll Call - Who's boot hunting Cougar this winter 2017/18?  (Read 10360 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Roll Call - Who's boot hunting Cougar this winter 2017/18?
« on: December 17, 2017, 02:46:22 PM »
 :hello:

We're getting snow, late archery is done, and I pretty much have the woods to myself now  :IBCOOL:   I'm itching to get out there, looking for #5 cat called in.  Boooya!
Here I'll toss up some pics, and cross my fingers..... a big dead cat.  This is all public land, CNF and some timber ground. 

I'm using a couple rainshadow calls and some sounds I hijacked off youtube. One in particular sounds very promising.  I'm also using some predator calls, and yotes too  ;)  for calling cats.

So if you're boot hunting the lions this year post up some logs, youtube some vids, share some setups and let's put some cats down  :tup:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 06:54:58 PM by KFhunter »

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
Re: A Roll Call - Who's boot hunting Cougar this winter 2017/18?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 02:59:31 PM »
I’ve heard all of the quotas have been met in the SE. That only leaves a couple weeks for my areas. Going to try and get out at least once. Hoping for some snow.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 03:07:13 PM »
I'll be putting on the miles this week with the fresh snow expected to fall. Hopefully on skis if we get enough snow. I followed a cougar track for 7 miles last week. Didn't need snowshoes. I have a couple areas in the 346 where cats hang out when there's a foot or more of snow on the ground.

I think at least one area will close on the 31st around here.

Online Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 04:02:32 PM »
I always give it a try but haven't been successful yet.
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline Brushcrawler

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 05:07:52 PM »
I’m planning a try or two this year, but frankly don’t know what kind of ground to focus on. Seems like the consensus is areas with decent deer or elk herds, and just put boots to ground (or snow) then call when you are in an area with good tracks or walk them down in more open country. Anybody have advice they would be willing to share with someone unafraid to put in some solid miles on foot? I don’t have an ATV or snowmobile.
There is not enough wilderness left in the world, or in the hearts of men.

Online zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 05:43:18 PM »
I am for the first time. Cant kill Wolves so need to help the Deer some how. So one less cat is the ticket :tup:
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 05:44:18 PM »
:hello:

We're getting snow, late archery is done, and I pretty much have the woods to myself now  :IBCOOL:   I'm itching to get out there, looking for #5 cat called in.  Boooya!
Here I'll toss up some pics, and cross my fingers..... a big dead cat.  This is all public land, CNF and some timber ground. 

I'm using a couple rainshadow calls and some sounds I hijacked off youtube. One in particular sounds very promising.  I'm also using some predator calls, and yotes too  ;)  for calling cats.

So if you're boot hunting the lions this year post up some logs, youtube some vids, share some setups and let's put some cats down  :tup:

You might not be alone. Just like last year it will have reached the quota before Jan.1  I keep hearing about "Grumpy "OL" men with guns" .

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 06:31:07 PM »
I’ve got 2 places that seem promising for cougars. Both have had livestock attacked so hopefully one of them feel like a free meal will be easier! Gotta get after it though, the month is going by quick!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline Southpole

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 06:55:49 PM »
I'm all in. East side and west side. Any advise will not be invasive. Let's do it  :llam:
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 07:25:23 PM »
I’m planning a try or two this year, but frankly don’t know what kind of ground to focus on. Seems like the consensus is areas with decent deer or elk herds, and just put boots to ground (or snow) then call when you are in an area with good tracks or walk them down in more open country. Anybody have advice they would be willing to share with someone unafraid to put in some solid miles on foot? I don’t have an ATV or snowmobile.

I'm all in. East side and west side. Any advise will not be invasive. Let's do it  :llam:

I like to hunt above cattle operations, there's always deer around cows and behind them there's usually a cat up in the hillsides, talk to the ranchers they'll normally be glad to have a hunter get after a cat even though they'd tell you to get lost if you asked to hunt deer...and if you happen to get a cat be sure to show them, maybe offer them a loin or something but they'll probably decline.. they might invite you back for deer too  :tup:

Concentrate hunting around 3000-4000 feet as they'll move down in the winter months just above the deer at 3000 on down but you can find them on the flats lower, I've even tracked them across the river ice. If you can find a rock ridge line that runs a ways with big outcroppings you're on the right track.  Cats will knock down a deer about once a week or 6-7 days on average unless it's a female with kits/subs.  I think big toms can be a little sooner too.  If they're on a fresh kill they won't come too far unless you get close with vocals of another cat,  but if you find them at that 5th or 6th day they're more game to come a ways to a predator call, then suck em in with vocals.

Speaking of vocals, a good E caller I think is a must.  For cold calling (no sign or evidence of a cat nearby) I like to open up with a deer distress, loud bleating and obnoxious, it really wakes up everyone in the woods and they focus on your location.  I let everything sit for a while quiet then I'll whistle, normally with a whistle I'll know if a cat is coming in.  It sure is fun to hear a cat whistle back then you can track their progress as they move in.  That'll get you excited  :chuckle:

If I'm on a fresh cat track I'll do vocals, chirps mostly.  I don't want them to sneak in but saunter up like their going to greet another cat.  This is if I know I'm pretty close, tracking while the snow is falling or spot a kill.

what not to do:
don't move.  Cats spot movement way more than deer or coyotes, any flicker of movement and they've got you.  They'll study you for a long time and unless you see em you're essentially busted, they'll slink off when you stand up or call the stand done.  I had one climb a little knob and watch me for over an hour, all I could see was a dark blob that was it's face and I talked myself out of it being a cat  :bash:   don't talk yourself out of seeing a cat, memorize your surroundings and look for something where nothing was then glass it )without moving  :chuckle: )  Positioning yourself where you can see the approach of a cat is the hardest part of cat hunting, call a few in and not being able to shoot them and you'll see what I mean.

Don't put a decoy out in the open where a cat can see it.  They won't come in like a coyote, they'll sit and watch most times.  It's better to hide your call in a hole, or steep crease where you can see a cat putting the sneak on from a different angle.  They'll normally come down to a call.  For coyotes you want your call out and visible, but for cats you want to hide it so they have to sneak in closer to see it. 

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 07:38:58 PM by KFhunter »

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 07:46:46 PM »
Been out a few times already ,with no luck.Cut tracks a few times durring deer season but nothing lately ,also been coyote hunting few times,did a call set ,30min,walking back to truck ,me and coyote see each other same time,try to get the crosshairs on him at a dead run through trees but no luck,will try to get out soon again. :tup:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 07:47:53 PM »
 :tup:

Offline greenhead_killer

• Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 08:05:13 PM »
Where do you see what areas have quotas filled? This might be a great feb time killer, just don’t tell my wife. Haha

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 08:12:16 PM »
Where do you see what areas have quotas filled? This might be a great feb time killer, just don’t tell my wife. Haha

Some of the areas with a ton of cats and a tiny ridiculous quota have historically had their quotas filled by Jan 1, so they don't get the late season opener that starts Jan1.

After Jan 1 (late season) you have to check with WDFW daily to see if the late season is still open, but all the units are guaranteed to stay open until the end of Dec for the early season.

This is where you check
http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/cougar/

Offline greenhead_killer

• Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 08:16:13 PM »
Thanks!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]