Do you wear hunter orange?

Yes
99 (55%)
Yes, but wouldn't if it weren't required by the regulations
67 (37.2%)
No
14 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 180

Author Topic: Hunter Orange  (Read 3717 times)

Offline Elk329

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Hunter Orange
« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2017, 05:22:26 AM »

Years   Fatal Incidents   Self-Inflicted Fatal Incidents
1937-1946   75                       24
1947-1956   102                       24
1957-1966   62                       16
1967-1976   56                        N/A
1977-1986   37                        N/A
1987-1996   20                        5
1997-2006   8                        2
2007-2009   5                        2
2010                   2   

Hunter Orange Has Been Required Since 9-1-1991
Hunter Education Started in WA 1957
 These are some numbers I've taken from Incident reports that I use in Hunter Ed Class. Have a couple of Charts that I couldn't get to post but these are the numbers                       

Are these only WA numbers ? Just curious .
Yes these are just Washington Numbers
Muzzle Control
Always Identify Your Target and what lies Beyond
Treat "EVERY" Firearm as if it were Loaded

Offline mazama

• Virtual Campfire
  • Scout
« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2017, 11:08:26 AM »
Prior to hunter orange during an either sex hunt,a friend almost shot a doe that turned out to be a hunter with a brown carhart coat and white rope hanging from his backside.

Offline Bofire

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2017, 11:40:39 AM »
I follow the law, but that argument about "if it works just once"  "if it saved just one life" I hate. If this were true you would have to get rid of your bathtub "cuz it might save one life"
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline baker5150

• Site Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2017, 12:42:14 PM »
I follow the law, but that argument about "if it works just once"  "if it saved just one life" I hate. If this were true you would have to get rid of your bathtub "cuz it might save one life"
Carl

If it worked just once for you, would feel the same way?  Heck, it may have worked for you, and you didn't even know it.

Offline White Pass Outfitters

• White Pass Outfitters
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2017, 01:59:49 PM »
Whats next you have to wear a hard hat in the woods in case a tree limb falls. I dont want other people to see me or see where I have been. And I dont see how anyone can call it an accident when one hunter shoots another, prosecute to the max when a shooting accrues. When your hunting 3 pt or spike only areas how the hell can someone mistake you for an elk or deer. I think its more when hunters get scared or drink to much the night before. Guns and Alcohol are not friends. 
White Pass Outfitters

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2017, 02:32:54 PM »
Whats next you have to wear a hard hat in the woods in case a tree limb falls. I dont want other people to see me or see where I have been. And I dont see how anyone can call it an accident when one hunter shoots another, prosecute to the max when a shooting accrues. When your hunting 3 pt or spike only areas how the hell can someone mistake you for an elk or deer. I think its more when hunters get scared or drink to much the night before. Guns and Alcohol are not friends.
It's inexplicable, but it happens and I prefer to minimize the chances of it happening to me.

http://www.wta.org/news/signpost/hiker-killed-by-hunter-on-sauk-mountain

According to media reports, including this AP story in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, the hiker was Pamela Almli, a resident of Oso, a small town near Arlington. Almli, who was on a day hike up the popular trail in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, had bent down to put something into her pack when she was mistaken for a bear by the young shooter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/03/nyregion/hunter-charged-shooting.html

A hunter accused of fatally shooting his neighbor after mistaking her for a deer was arraigned on a charge of second-degree manslaughter on Thursday in a western New York court.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00993/wdfw00993.pdf

The shooter thought the noise was either a large buck rubbing its antlers or a bear stripping and eating bark from a tree. As he crawled to within 40 yards of the noise, he could also see trees moving. The shooter convinced himself that the dark form he saw was a bear, and he fired. Upon hearing screams, the shooter raced back to his car. After reading in the local newspaper that an unknown shooter had shot a brush picker, the victim contacted investigating officers the next day and explained the shooting incident from his perspective.

http://www.wrfalp.com/sherman-woman-fatally-shot-after-being-mistaken-for-deer-by-hunter/

According to Jadlowski, he believed he saw a deer in a field when he fired a single shot pistol. Jadlowski reported hearing a scream and he immediately responded to the area approximately 200 yards away where he discovered Billquist. Jadlowski called 911 and applied pressure to Billquist’s wound until EMS arrived.

Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Wake me when you need me.
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2017, 02:37:50 PM »
It looks like the statics have proven it reduces accidental shootings. I would say that since sportsmen make up a small percentage of folks explaining to others out in the woods the benefits of bright colors would go along way.

How many of you have run across mushroom/brush pickers that are wearing Brown, black, green rain gear during modern seasons? I have and asked them what were they thinking?

The lady on Sauk Mt near me in Black during bear season. The brush picker down south.... I got it but perhaps some awareness campaigns by sportsmen. To remind folks whom are not required by law...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The Truth is like Poetry, and most people hate Poetry

Offline 724wd

• Frontiersman
« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2017, 06:31:15 PM »
but if it's so good, why aren't ALL people in the woods required to wear it?  :dunno: a friend and I both had our rifles on what turned out to be a man in a black coat pushing brush for his son we didn't know was there.  :yike: but because we both wanted to fully identify our target, we didn't just "shoot the black"

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2017, 06:36:44 PM »
but if it's so good, why aren't ALL people in the woods required to wear it?  :dunno: a friend and I both had our rifles on what turned out to be a man in a black coat pushing brush for his son we didn't know was there.  :yike: but because we both wanted to fully identify our target, we didn't just "shoot the black"
Do you want a law mandating that everyone wear orange during hunting seasons?  What type of message does that send about hunters?

Offline Katmai Guy

• IBEW, Local 46
  • Longhunter
« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2017, 06:38:01 PM »

:yeah: require it of all people using state and federal land open to hunting.  Incidents will go to zero.  See how fast the pinecone eaters spout up about that.
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline Katmai Guy

• IBEW, Local 46
  • Longhunter
« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2017, 06:39:04 PM »
Do you want a law mandating that everyone wear orange during hunting seasons?  What type of message does that send about hunters?

That we are safety consious.
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline aaronoto

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2017, 08:51:01 PM »
In my opinion the blaze orange requirement for upland birds needs to go.  I always wear it when bird hunting, but I'm not always wearing 400 square inches of it...

I won't wear it during bear season (unless season overlap requires me to), but if I hunted deer or elk I would wear it whether it was required or not.

Offline dscubame

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2017, 09:05:59 PM »
Blaze orange bird hunting law, that always makes my head shake.

Like getting a seatbelt ticket from a motorcycle cop.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline 724wd

• Frontiersman
« Reply #113 on: December 24, 2017, 09:55:47 AM »

but you're ok with being the ONLY group required to wear it? I think it should be your choice what wardrobe you want to hunt in. what's a hunter orange ticket run these days?

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
« Reply #114 on: December 24, 2017, 10:38:50 AM »
 It would be interesting to know how many people are accidentally shot because someone was using their scope to identify movement rather than bino's.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Dan-o

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #115 on: December 24, 2017, 11:01:38 AM »
It would be interesting to know how many people are accidentally shot because someone was using their scope to identify movement rather than bino's.

I have had this happen at least once.

Man, I was pissed!!!!!   :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

Had my bino's on a guy pointing his rifle right at me.     
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Wake me when you need me.
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #116 on: December 25, 2017, 07:02:19 AM »
It would appear that the same logical justification can be used for civilians as hunters. If only one life is saved doesn't that make hunters look better? I don't see how a brush picker or hiker dressed in blacknor Brown getting clipped helps hunters image any...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The Truth is like Poetry, and most people hate Poetry

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #117 on: December 25, 2017, 07:39:47 AM »
It would save more lives to close hunting seasons altogether during times when hikers are active. And since hunters can't tell the difference between a bear and. hiker unless everyone is required to wear orange, and since 97% of our population doesn't  hunt, that would be their preferred approach.

Offline jjaba

• Global Moderator
  • Scout
« Reply #118 on: December 25, 2017, 09:45:39 AM »
I will wear Orange during Modern Seasons along with vest attached to my pack.   Pheasant hunting YES... hunting wet side on release sights seen stupid even in orange but hey it helps the ones paying attention.  During non required times I still wear a hat that's orange.  The only time I don't worry about it is when hunting coyotes at night.
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. -Albert Pike

Offline GurrCentral

• Scout
« Reply #119 on: December 25, 2017, 10:33:10 AM »
I wear hunter orange even on hunts that it is not required. When it is not required I usually wear an orange hat and have a panel for my pack at all times. And yes, I wear it over my vias...lol

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2017, 03:20:56 PM »
I do a lot of upland hunting and have been shot by my hunting buddy when a bird flew between us, no hunter orange.   I've many times pulled off a bird when orange has appeared in my peripheral vision.

Big game hunting isn't much of a deal in this state, not very many hunters, but when you get to states like WI and MN with 500,000 hunters out on opening day.  In those two states I hunted when just red or red plaid was required(red looks dark for quite awhile in the morning).  When the change to orange was required it was amazing how well you could see other hunters.  for me it is a no brainer.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline MightyWhite

• Hunter
« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2018, 05:29:04 PM »
I wear a vest and sometimes a cap .  Animals come by me every year as long as I have a background and break up my outline and don't move around..too many Yahoo!'s around...I've always wore a red wool shirt or cap when it used to not be required...my daughter on the other hand seems to worry more about looks than function...I new a wheat farmer who carried his rifle on his tractor and swore not by John Deere green but caterpillar yelled!!! Ha,!

Offline TommyGun496

• Hunter
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2018, 02:14:08 PM »
I wear it during modern seasons with no regrets or concerns. I can't think of a downside.

Downside is people looking at you through their scope

At least they won’t mistake you for a game animal from 400yrds and pull the trigger???

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2018, 04:19:50 AM »
i have no problem wearing orange, but don't like the 400 square inch requirement.  to me, it seems like it's just another thing for a warden having a bad day can use to ruin yours.  i've got a few nice secondhand bird vests that i'm reluctant to wear because they may or may not meet the requirement.
life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun!

Offline Alpine Mojo

• Virtual Campfire
  • Longhunter
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2018, 06:33:24 PM »

Sounds like you need to make a decision, Bob.  Are you concerned about hurting people's feelings?  Or are you truly worried about everyone being seen?

Personally I couldn't care less about any message it sends to anyone.  Anti-hunters aren't going to change their mind just like hunters aren't going to change theirs.  Your sensitive feelings aren't going to convince anyone.
Friend: "Are you free tonight?"
Me:  (Gazing into the distance as a bald eagle screeches)  "I'm always free"

* Recent Topics

Thats a wrap! by shootem
[Today at 12:34:30 AM]

Let the skunk harvest begin by Humptulips
[Today at 12:02:28 AM]

2017 season in SE Alaska by W_Ellison2011
[Yesterday at 11:15:01 PM]

Have you been ripped off by Shane Barbour? by jackelope
[Yesterday at 11:04:00 PM]

Input on Browning x-bolt hells canyon by Biggerhammer
[Yesterday at 11:03:45 PM]

Blacktail food plot by warthog
[Yesterday at 10:47:25 PM]

Flex Seal, anyone use it? by follow maggie
[Yesterday at 10:44:56 PM]

Trapperguy22 and Bigshooter's 2017-18 season by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 10:42:49 PM]

FS / FT: Savage Lady Hunter .243 w/ leupold 3-9 scope by jrebel
[Yesterday at 10:40:29 PM]

wtb, USED CEDAR FENCE BOARDS by JTB
[Yesterday at 10:35:12 PM]

Shot out my 243 by Biggerhammer
[Yesterday at 10:34:09 PM]

Marine mammals now taking more salmon than sport and commercial fishing combined by Jake Dogfish
[Yesterday at 10:33:25 PM]

Asotin County Coyotes by SnoValleyBowHunter
[Yesterday at 10:21:18 PM]

Multi dog ecollars by Happy Gilmore
[Yesterday at 10:16:27 PM]

Training/Field Collar Recommendations by Happy Gilmore
[Yesterday at 10:11:57 PM]

Next year pack decisions. by dscubame
[Yesterday at 10:08:00 PM]

Recurve tips by n_mathews13
[Yesterday at 10:02:10 PM]

The Importance of Good Breeding.... by Happy Gilmore