Do you wear hunter orange?

Yes
109 (55.6%)
Yes, but wouldn't if it weren't required by the regulations
72 (36.7%)
No
15 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author Topic: Hunter Orange  (Read 17033 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Hunter Orange
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2017, 11:58:25 AM »
If it were really a safety issue, wouldn't EVERY user group be required to wear it?  :dunno:

No. It's required for modern and not the others because of the extreme distances modern firearms can take an animal and how hard it is to identify your target at those distances. Hunting incidents with ML or archery are extremely rare, although they do happen.

I was referring to ANYONE in the woods. Hikers, brush pickers, walking your dog, checking cows... It's not like hunters are the only group in the woods at any given time.

Regardless, it's far easier to correctly identify your target at 100 yards or under than it is at 400. When I'm out picking in the Fall, I always wear hunter orange, no matter the season.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2017, 12:00:10 PM »
Some could argue that being conditioned that all hunters are wearing hunter orange may cause more accidents.  Case in point the gal in the blue coat.   If she was wearing hunter orange, she may not have been shot.  She wasnt hunting though.  The kid probably should have known his target. 

Devils advocate, I can do my own study.  Ive been shot at more while wearing orange than I have without.  :chuckle:

But were you shot at on purpose or on accident because of the orange, I believe orange definitely cuts down on the accidental shootings.

LOL
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2017, 12:07:58 PM »
If it were really a safety issue, wouldn't EVERY user group be required to wear it?  :dunno:

No. It's required for modern and not the others because of the extreme distances modern firearms can take an animal and how hard it is to identify your target at those distances. Hunting incidents with ML or archery are extremely rare, although they do happen.

I was referring to ANYONE in the woods. Hikers, brush pickers, walking your dog, checking cows... It's not like hunters are the only group in the woods at any given time.

Regardless, it's far easier to correctly identify your target at 100 yards or under than it is at 400. When I'm out picking in the Fall, I always wear hunter orange, no matter the season.
True, but it's also tougher to hear some rustling and then see some dark movement in the bushes at 400 than 100 or even 20 than 100.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2017, 12:10:43 PM »
Look at the statistics for hunting incidents and let me know what you find.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2017, 12:15:53 PM »
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2017, 12:17:08 PM »
Hats off to the hunters ed teachers out there.  Per this report Number one reason why hunting accidents are on the decline......

Hunter Education classes have generally been required under U.S. State law in order to hold hunters to the obligation to receive training in the various points required for gun safety and the responsible use of firearms before they can be given legal certification to engage in hunting activities in that State. This measure against the occurrence of hunting accidents may not be required for people born before this law has fully come into effect. According to hunter certification departments, the frequency of hunting accidents has been greatly reduced by the availability and unavoidability of these safety measures.

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2017, 12:17:24 PM »
I just wear it so I don't get fined.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2017, 12:18:59 PM »
My well being is more important than getting my undies in a bunch about the gov telling me what i have to do.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2017, 12:20:06 PM »
Thank you Boneaddict for using the word "accident" instead of "incident."   :tup:

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2017, 12:21:51 PM »
Well I am not going to say I wear it all the time. Most times its nice to be way away from the roads and not have it on. It varies from state to state on the requirement.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2017, 12:24:26 PM »
Thank you Boneaddict for using the word "accident" instead of "incident."   :tup:

Nice dig, BC. The word incident is purposely used in Hunter Education. Accidents are for the most part considered unavoidable. "Accidental" shootings, on the other hand, are completely avoidable if you always follow safety rules for firearm handling.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2017, 12:26:53 PM »
My well being is more important than getting my undies in a bunch about the gov telling me what i have to do.

If you were full commando, you wouldn’t have to worry about either.  :)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2017, 12:28:21 PM »

:yeah: Bingo.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2017, 12:39:50 PM »
Tons of great information here at this link.

http://www.atsko.com/hunter-orange-proving-the-obvious/

For those that don't want to sift through it all here is a quote from the link that really brings it home.

" Prior to mandating hunter orange statewide, the state of Maine did a landmark five-year trial in one heavily hunted county. Maine required hunters in York County to wear hunter orange starting in 1967. Looking at only those injuries that could be directly affected by hunter orange, Maine found that York County had 41 percent of the state’s visibilityrelated incidents during the five years before the one-county orange requirement, but only 23 percent in the five years after. Even if some of the Maine hunters outside York County got the safety message and wore orange, the County where virtually all hunters wore it is where the big injury reduction occurred."
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2017, 12:56:07 PM »
 :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]