collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wild Pigs in Gifford Pinchot NF  (Read 9518 times)

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Wild Pigs in Gifford Pinchot NF
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 10:07:45 AM »
The $6.5 billion was taken from the Economic Impact Study that was completed in January 2017, and is the total value of all crops and livestock in WA State that would be at-risk if Feral Swine were to become established here. I agree, not a great comparison by the author.
That is true, but there are some who would like to see that change.
Exactly the problem, sounds like a great way/reason for them to leverage things and start selling tags to soak hunters for more $, inflate the number because WA always has to be #1 in everything.

What needs to happen is educate everyone on the problem, declare them open season without licensing(maaaaaaybe just need license at the very most, but no tag like Coyotes) and eradicate them with extreme prejudice before they can take root.  Feral swine is a very significant threat to the agriculture industry in this state if they are allowed to establish themselves.  I have friends in TX and other southern states and Hogs are a serious problem, and so prevalent that they are often able to bag on on the way to/from work each day without going out of their way.  Habitat is bad enough for our resident game, last thing we need is pigs tearing up and consuming the limited resources.
That’s not the change I was implying. There are some who are afraid people will start introducing pigs in order to have a huntable population. Therefore, those same thinkers would like to make pig hunting illegal today.

I agree with your statement on education, because there are hunters who want to see pigs here, and I don’t think they understand the magnitude of the problem we would be faced with.

Offline Antlershed

• Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 10:12:02 AM »
The $6.5 billion was taken from the Economic Impact Study that was completed in January 2017, and is the total value of all crops and livestock in WA State that would be at-risk if Feral Swine were to become established here. The article says “could cause”. Could have provided more details for what they were trying to convey.

I believe it was a typo and meant to be $6.5M.
Not a typo, it came from here, but this puts some more context around it.

https://invasivespecies.wa.gov/council_projects/economic_impact/Invasive%20Species%20Economic%20Impacts%20Report%20Jan2017.pdf

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 10:15:23 AM »
I think you get my point. If damage was $1.5B nationwide, the potential damage in WA is nowhere near that, never mind 5 times as much. It would be devastating, I get it. Let's get the alarm bells going.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Antlershed

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 10:17:58 AM »
I think you get my point. If damage was $1.5B nationwide, the potential damage in WA is nowhere near that, never mind 5 times as much. It would be devastating, I get it. Let's get the alarm bells going.
I do. It was poor writing on behalf of the Chronicle author. Obviously nobody thinks that Feral Swine would wipe out 100% of our states crops.

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 11:34:29 AM »
They’ve been up there for a while, know guys that have killed em.a buddy killed several up above butts road raintree nursery in the little Rockies about 15 years ago.  Guess they were planted
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 11:53:20 AM »
Earlier this year, I was told by some folks who are "in the know", who also may or may not have been there when it happened, that there were 2 pigs killed by WSP troopers on I-90 in North Bend. Those same folks said that WDFW biologist was called to the scene. They went on to say that the people who were there in the know said that they thought they looked a lot like wild pigs. Said there were trails in the woods that the pigs had made. I can't confirm or deny any of this, but the people I heard it from that may have seen it actually all go down would know what they were talking about.

https://patch.com/washington/sammamish/pigs-along-i-90-may-cause-morning-delays
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 12:40:20 PM »
I like Bacon  :P
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2017, 01:31:24 PM »
Wild hogs do over a billion dollars a year in crop damage in Oklahoma alone.
Hunting alone can not keep them in control. You have to takeout 70% every year to stay even. You definitely do not want them in Washington. Though the rate they are spreading it won’t take long before you have them whether you want them or not.

http://m.newson6.com/story.aspx?story=31988137&catId=112042
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2017, 01:33:24 PM »
Wild hogs do over a billion dollars a year in crop damage in Oklahoma alone.
Hunting alone can not keep them in control. You have to takeout 70% every year to stay even. You definitely do not want them in Washington. Though the rate they are spreading it won’t take long before you have them whether you want them or not.

http://m.newson6.com/story.aspx?story=31988137&catId=112042

Anyone who says they "want" pigs here needs to do their homework before they continue flapping their gums.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2017, 01:35:34 PM »
 :yeah: Although, once the ungulates are gone, we might need another species to hunt.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2017, 01:38:46 PM »
:yeah: Although, once the ungulates are gone, we might need another species to hunt.

We don't need pigs.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 01:40:22 PM »
Tongue-in-cheek, my friend. We don't need wolves, either, and they'll probably end up costing us as much as pigs do in other states. That doesn't seem to matter.

Offline ipkus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2017, 02:02:29 PM »
Based on WDFW’s track record the best thing they could do is declare wild pigs a salmon or a game animal and start managing them as such.  The pigs would disappear in no time!

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 07:39:48 PM »
Earlier this year, I was told by some folks who are "in the know", who also may or may not have been there when it happened, that there were 2 pigs killed by WSP troopers on I-90 in North Bend. Those same folks said that WDFW biologist was called to the scene. They went on to say that the people who were there in the know said that they thought they looked a lot like wild pigs. Said there were trails in the woods that the pigs had made. I can't confirm or deny any of this, but the people I heard it from that may have seen it actually all go down would know what they were talking about.

https://patch.com/washington/sammamish/pigs-along-i-90-may-cause-morning-delays

First of all, the photo in that article of the pigs in the median was clearly doctored with. 
Secondly, anyone who ever spent time in North Bend knows the "trails" are all made by the huge homeless population around the town. 

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 08:03:56 PM »
I'm just hoping if there are pigs on the loose, then they are either Berkshires or Mangalistas.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]