collapse

Author Topic: No more Discover Pass?  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Wake me when you need me.
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: No more Discover Pass?
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2017, 02:27:35 PM »
Curly hit the issues squarely. This is about funding parks. The passes were an attempt to get Peter to pay for Paul's use of parks. The legislature just needs to make some hard choices on general fund spending and which parks are more valuable.

I heard on the Radio Oregon is going to a scaled camping fee system to 1 raise more $ & to get folks to try out underutilized parks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The Truth is like Poetry, and most people hate Poetry

Offline jmscon

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 02:49:16 PM »
Not sure where the shortfall in funds came from originally ($30 car tabs?) but the state was hoping to make $60 some million a year on the Discover Pass and has come way short. According to an article, over a year ago in the Harold, the state hasnít made half of what they projected (big surprise). By 2016 numbers, a $10 increase in tabs for state parks would generate ~$75 million annually!
The only thing that I like about the discover pass is that the user pays more to play than the non users.
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2017, 05:55:34 PM »
Not sure where the shortfall in funds came from originally ($30 car tabs?) but the state was hoping to make $60 some million a year on the Discover Pass and has come way short. According to an article, over a year ago in the Harold, the state hasnít made half of what they projected (big surprise). By 2016 numbers, a $10 increase in tabs for state parks would generate ~$75 million annually!
The only thing that I like about the discover pass is that the user pays more to play than the non users.

Harold who? :chuckle: Too funny to pass up. :hello:
Bruce Vandervort

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Site Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 06:47:53 PM »
What surprised me a bit was something I was told by the park ranger at Pacific Beach SP earlier this month.  When you pay to camp at SP's you don't need a Discover Pass.  Your camping permit is sufficient. 

I don't believe there is anyway we are going to get fees reduced by this state, period.  It will only get worse.  And I don't believe that people who never use SP's or state land should be required to pay in any way.  The state needs to manage the SP money better.  But, it's run by imbiciles, so that will never happen.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

So many free days, so few fish....

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• Best Biggie Blogger
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • DAN-O CAN'T TAKE BIGGIE PICS
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 07:10:40 PM »
What surprised me a bit was something I was told by the park ranger at Pacific Beach SP earlier this month.  When you pay to camp at SP's you don't need a Discover Pass.  Your camping permit is sufficient. 

I don't believe there is anyway we are going to get fees reduced by this state, period.  It will only get worse.  And I don't believe that people who never use SP's or state land should be required to pay in any way.  The state needs to manage the SP money better.  But, it's run by imbiciles, so that will never happen.

Ah pacific beach, I stay at the Navy lodge there.  :tup:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.

Keep Calm And Duc On!

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Site Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2017, 07:50:38 PM »
Hah, we ate there a couple times.  Food is just OK, but it was about the only gig in town.  I had driven past there a number of times and never knew it was owned by the base.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

So many free days, so few fish....

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Nice...............
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2017, 08:05:09 PM »
I feel for you guys after moving to Arizona. The only PERMIT you need to buy is an Arizona State Lands Permit, IF you don't hunt. Your hunting license is your permit, otherwise it's $20 for a family pass, $15 single per year. You can also ride your ORVs anyplace as long as they are street legal.
I could care less about what anybody says..............

* Recent Topics