collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pheasant release sites  (Read 2496 times)

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
Pheasant release sites
« on: December 28, 2017, 03:31:32 PM »
I'm considering hunting the west side Pheasant release sites this year with My two boys 16 and 14. Please fill Me in as I have no experience with this type of hunting.
The good the Bad?
Suggestions?
I think I will try for the Kosmos site as I know the area and hear is is less crowded. I also have a rookie dog that I would be bringing with.
Any info would be helpful. Thanks
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Online Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Pheasant release sites
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 03:57:06 PM »
I believe the Westside Pheasant Realease season is over on Nov 30th. You can still hunt the sites but they stop releasing birds after Nov 30th. Also you need the Westside Pheasant Endorsement for these sites, no Reas n the buy it if they aren't releasing anymore birds.  :twocents:
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 04:00:05 PM »
It's over for this year. Most of the sites closed Nov. 30. Some stay open until Dec. 15. Last plants are on Thanksgiving weekend, so any remaining time after that is for "clean-up".

East-side is open for pheas until Jan. 15.

For future considerations:

Good:
you get to hunt pheasants
my dog likes it
it can be productive

Bad:
can be crowded at 8:00am when birds have been planted
sometimes all of the birds are planted in a very small area
birds can be very dumb

Advice:
Just like anything else there is a learning curve. It's a different kind of game- and not for everyone.
You have to check it out. Some areas are more crowded. Skookumchuck seemed really busy this year. Right at 8:00 when hunting starts is the worst- I really try to avoid being in the middle of "the orange army". If you have a decent dog- hunt late mornings or afternoons. You'll work harder for birds, but it's never crowded.

Areas farther from population centers tend to be less crowded. Seems like quite a haul from Maple Valley to Kosmos to shoot a couple planted birds, but it's an option. :twocents:

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 04:14:35 PM by Bullkllr »
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 04:30:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure the OP didn't actually mean he was wanting to hunt "this year," since there are only 3 days left. I assume "this year" meant 2018. So anyway, already some good advice given. I used to hunt Scatter Creek a lot since I live about 1/2 mile from it. I don't recommend going at 8:00. There's just no fun in that, especially when you have two new hunters along. I used to like going in the afternoons, about 2:30 to 3:00. You can only hunt until 4:00 so it's not a lot of time, but often I'd see birds crossing the road about that time going back onto the release site. So you get to hunt birds that really may have never been hunted. I always did pretty good hunting the late afternoon. Also, work the edges of the safety zones and the boundaries of the release site to catch those birds that just crossed back into the legal hunting area.

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 09:17:23 PM »
2018 when it reopens.
As far as the long drive to get there.
I don’t Mind a two hour drive for a quality experience. Kind of My hunting style in a nut shell. I tend to take the long way and go where everyone else is not. If possible.
I’m going to go hit up cook canyon first and see how I like the game farm/ planted birds.
Then go from there. Thanks to all that provided info.
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 11:35:07 AM »
I have hunted many release sites over the years, and as long as you remember what you are hunting (A RELEASE SITE) you can have a great time. As mentioned avoid the first 2 plus hours, taking new dog and younger hunters noon would be a good time to start, that gives you plenty of time to work the dog and the boys  :chuckle:. There are other people there some will get that it is a release site, others treat it like it is their own property and you will learn quick to avoid those folks. All in all a great opportunity for introducing hunters and dogs, close to home, plenty of scent, an occasional bird to keep everyone motivated, and the consistence for the dog is huge!!!

I have also hunted Cooke Canyon, Doug and Alison are great people very friendly. You can stop and see them next month at the Sportsman Show. Sometimes they run a special membership that allows a couple extra free months ( I think the membership year is April to March or similar). Again, a good opportunity for young hunters and dogs, they are released birds as well, but generally still fly plenty fast to surprise a newer bird hunter. Talk it through, take a camera man(or woman) to capture the hunt and dress for the conditions. One time we were there in teen degree weather and stiff Ellensburg WIND!!!!
       Just get the dog and kids out there and have a blast!!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]