collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Advantage inline?  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Lead ball 54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Advantage inline?
« on: January 01, 2018, 03:28:06 PM »
Hello I know it's a choice but do the inlines really have a true advantage over traditional cap locks or flint locks in actual hunting situations if the hunter who is using them is proficient with his firearm of choice

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
Re: Advantage inline?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 04:05:28 PM »
Modern inlines do have a more reliable ignition system (shorter and straight ignition path).

Having said that, once I got my Hawken dialed in, I was 100 percent confident hunting with it.   

I say:   if you like your sidelock, you can keep your sidelock!
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 05:40:23 PM »
Hello I know it's a choice but do the inlines really have a true advantage over traditional cap locks or flint locks in actual hunting situations if the hunter who is using them is proficient with his firearm of choice

I believe there is a huge advantage using a modern inline over a traditional ML in all the states in the US - EXCEPT - in the 3 Pacific Northwest States!!!

With the rules/regulations that are imposed by the Pacific Northwest States for muzzleloader hunting - there in reality, is very little difference.  Whatever I can do with this rifle:

I can do with this rifle:

This side hammer is even a closer match to the modern inline.

The old Renegade has a Green Mountain SS LRH barrel settled into the stock and this barrel even has a 1/28 bore twist - same as most inlines.

I really do not think the difference with the style of cap ignition plays a role in the abilities of the rifle - IF - you have the experiance to utilize either rifle.  For a newbie, I would say that you would often have an easier time getting ignition with an inline.

Even the different projectile requirements of the 3 States, with experiance do not create a dramatic difference.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 05:57:35 PM by Sabotloader »
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 11:34:05 PM »
Don't forget - better safety mechanism on most inlines than just half-cock

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 08:48:09 PM »
Those sidelocks are way better looking and feeling than any inline

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 07:45:27 AM »
Those sidelocks are way better looking and feeling than any inline

Well, you do really have a point there!!!

Offline Lead ball 54

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 09:00:44 AM »
Yes I agree ignition is faster and the faster twist of the inlines is better for the Sabot and the safety is better than half cock but dose that give the inline an advantage at normal hunting range even a 54 cal round ball shot within the proper range and put in the right spot for a round ball will put a deer on the ground and even an elk and a full bore conical will do even better at longer ranges so inlines have the advantage over round balls on paper and in the field to some degree but I still prfer traditional dont get me wrong I love them both and would hunt with a scoped inline during modern season before grabbing and center fire but that's just me

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 07:44:22 PM »
Also the fact that the breech plug on most inlines is easily removable, which equates to easy breech area cleaning. We all know that with smokepoles, cleanliness can mean all the difference between going home empty handed or not.

Offline GoexBlackhorn

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 08:14:53 AM »
Also the fact that the breech plug on most inlines is easily removable, which equates to easy breech area cleaning. We all know that with smokepoles, cleanliness can mean all the difference between going home empty handed or not.

Yep, better ignition - better waterproofing and the advantage to seeing the entire bore during cleanings. Nice fiber-optics and scope-mount ready availability make things easier too.

Offline floatinghat

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 11:11:26 AM »
I don't believe within the boundries established in the PNW (open sight, exposed cap) there is any advantage.  With my .50 cal T/C Renegade with a 1:48 twist prints 9 of 10 in a pie plate at 100 yd. I shoot about the same with either of my Knights.  I have peeps sights on all these guns and feel confident that I can ethically shoot out a to 135yd and hit my desired POI.

There are plenty of people who are much better shots with "traditional" ML that shoot better and much farther than I or most people shoot their inlines.  More game has been taken with traditional ML than will ever be take with inlines.   
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 02:30:29 PM by floatinghat »

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 12:12:49 PM »

I don't believe within the boundries established in the PNW (open sight, exposed cap) there is any advantage.  With my .50 cal T/C Renegade with a 1:48 twist prints 9 of 10 in a pie plate at 100 yd. I shoot about the same with either of my Knights.  I have peeps sights on all these guns and feel confident that I can ethically shoot out a to 135yd and his my desired POI.

There are plenty of people who are much better shots with "traditional" ML that shoot better and much farther than I or most people shoot their inlines.  More game has been taken with traditional ML than will ever be take with inlines.

Under the current PNW rules - I totally concur with your thoughts...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]