collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New pistol advice  (Read 16380 times)

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Re: New pistol advice
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2018, 11:28:28 AM »
I guess I might look at it a little different. The idea of “carry “ pistol is for something that is threatening your life potentially. For a little more weight why wouldn’t you go with a 45 over a 9. A lot more energy for the little extra weight. I think some people carry just to say they do because they can.

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2018, 11:31:29 AM »
For Every Day Carry (EDC) don't discount revolvers, I really like them.   

I really like a button hammer revolver in .357, a snub nose airweight is great for EDC and you can run .38s in it too, even if I wanted to just shoot the .38 I'd get the .357 for resale.

It's harder to peel it from your grip, won't go out of battery if you shove it someones guts and start yanking on the trigger fast as you can, and it won't tangle in clothing and stop the slide. 

When to use it is another discussion.
\

I used to carry a Lou Horton Special about 30 years ago when KF was a little pup. It was a 3 inch, 44 mag wheel gun. Shooting it was a dream too..  :chuckle:  Go big or go home as they say.

I use to carry S&W .41 mag, 3in, with hammer shaved, was just a peach to shoot, LOL
 :rolleyes:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2018, 12:34:36 PM »
Why not just buy a 22LR pistol. It will kill you just as dead as a 9mm, 10mm, 44 mag, 38, 357 etc.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2018, 12:37:51 PM »
Why not just buy a 22LR pistol. It will kill you just as dead as a 9mm, 10mm, 44 mag, 38, 357 etc.

I sometimes carry my .22 mag ruger lcr.  Super light weight and crazy accurate.  I wouldn't want to get shot with it.....

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2018, 12:45:21 PM »

I sometimes carry my .22 mag ruger lcr.  Super light weight and crazy accurate.  I wouldn't want to get shot with it.....

I had to double check on the LCR 22mag. I thought it was a pistol, my bad if the other post got out there.

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2018, 01:06:49 PM »
I guess I might look at it a little different. The idea of “carry “ pistol is for something that is threatening your life potentially. For a little more weight why wouldn’t you go with a 45 over a 9. A lot more energy for the little extra weight. I think some people carry just to say they do because they can.

Is a 9mm really too small? I've never been shot but I can't imagine a close range pistol hit to be something to shrug off.

I don't know I'm truly asking; is there really anything to the bigger is better claim other than it's better to be over prepared?

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2018, 01:14:10 PM »

Is a 9mm really too small? I've never been shot but I can't imagine a close range pistol hit to be something to shrug off.

I don't know I'm truly asking; is there really anything to the bigger is better claim other than it's better to be over prepared?

The 9mm is plenty! They are accurate usually lighter than a .45 with the same magazine capacity. Some find the 9mm easier to control and get back on target others can control both just fine. While I like the 9mm, I find myself carrying a .45 more often. Especially in the colder months of the year when heavier clothes conceal a 1911 frame much better than a t-shirt and shorts.

My thought process is. A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure isn't going to shrink!

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2018, 01:24:36 PM »

i guess when it comes to life or death and you may only get off a few shots why not 45. I would not want to get shot with a 9mm either or a 22 for that matter.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2018, 01:31:56 PM »
I forget the name but there was a revolver made that you could shoot all manner of 9mm ish rounds out of. 380,all 9mm, all 38 and 357 rounds. It was a snub nosed revolver with a special kind of cylinder to grab the different kinds of cartridge lips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2018, 04:34:30 PM »
I'm looking through some other threads and reading through some reviews and articles and am finding lots of comments about swapping out parts like sights and springs to improve on some of the models. Is that something that guys do because they like tinkering with and customizing their guns or is that a red flag to stay away from a model with a known defect?

Thanks again for all the help and input its truly appreciated.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2018, 05:50:50 PM »
yes and no

Glock guys running 10 mm like to beef up their guns so they can shoot ammunition that is heavier than what the factory tuned the gun for. 
Some added parts to beef up the gun is warranted when shooting the big stuff, and improve accuracy for the heavier bullets and better support for the brass with all that pressure.  This is probably what you see most in a hunting forum, beefing up 10mm guns to shoot big powerful rounds for charging bears.

Other guys want to mess around with different conversions, I put that in the tinkering category, it's fun and easy to do.

Other guys like adding bling, customize grips or change sights for personal preference. 

A modded gun can shoot circles around a factory one, or it can jam and be worthless.  Just depends on the person doing it and combination of parts used. 

Offline Romulus1297

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2018, 06:39:14 PM »
Why not just get the hk factory nickel p7m13 if that's to big try to get a hk nickel p7m8 or the p7m10 and if you don't like those try hk pk3 or a plain p7. :dunno:

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2018, 07:28:05 PM »
I have a Glock 20 (10mm) that I LOVE to shoot.
I got a stouter spring, since I have some heavy loads for Griz country.
But it's too big to conceal carry.

I have a Ruger LC9S in 9 mm, and it is a fun little pistol.

There's no need to change sights/springs/grips/bling......... unless you want to.

I encourage you to seriously consider size for a carry pistol.    My Ruger is so much more carry-able.
And as always, the best self defense pistol is the one you'll actually wear.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2018, 08:29:23 PM »
I'm looking through some other threads and reading through some reviews and articles and am finding lots of comments about swapping out parts like sights and springs to improve on some of the models. Is that something that guys do because they like tinkering with and customizing their guns or is that a red flag to stay away from a model with a known defect?

Thanks again for all the help and input its truly appreciated.

Actually, each mfgr spends hundreds of thousands of dollars to make a specific a caliber work with each weapon. The ammo has changed so much with technology, you really don't need to change anything unless you're Biggerhammer. Just buy a gun and buy the store bought ammo and you're good to go.

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2018, 08:41:20 PM »
38/357 are slightly bigger, .357, 9mm is. 355. I use .355 bullets out if a 38 for plinking ammo. Don't think I'd do it the other way around though

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]