collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Do you support this bill?

Yes
No

Author Topic: HB 2859 Would Break-Up WDFW Into Two Agencies  (Read 3402 times)

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
HB 2859 Would Break-Up WDFW Into Two Agencies
« on: January 18, 2018, 08:18:28 AM »
Background: In 1994 WDFW was created after a voter initiative was passed that merged the Dept. of Fisheries with the Dept. of Wildlife.

HB 2859 sponsored by Rep. Walsh (R) would essentially take us back the early 1990s and split WDFW into the Department of Fisheries, and the Department of Wildlife. You will essentially have one agency managing wildlife, and another managing fisheries.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=2859&Year=2017

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: HB 2859 Would Break-Up WDFW Into Two Agencies
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 08:35:33 AM »
I would love to hear your thoughts on this Bigtex.

For me it just seems like it would be more to have two departments and there already isn't enough money.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 08:38:38 AM »
BT is against this bill.

I want to see WDFW broke up, I don't see where things have gotten better since 1994

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 08:39:05 AM »
What are the pro’s and con’s?
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 08:41:42 AM »
Unless there is a change in how these agencies are funded, then all I see happening here is creating more government bureaucracy.   
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 08:45:12 AM »
Unless there is a change in how these agencies are funded, then all I see happening here is creating more government bureaucracy.   

and it all leads back to our beloved governor inslee

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 08:47:40 AM »
If there is going to be any split up I want to see a department of sport fish and game. We need a government agency that manages Sportsman and the game that we pursue. I want my license dollars to fuel the machine that drives us all NOT the general fund.  Let the bunny huggers fund blue bird boxes and the like.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 08:49:33 AM »
Fish is easy, game is harder - so they tend to focus on the cash cow of fish and ignore game.  With a break up the game side couldn't just ignore game and focus on shellfish.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 08:52:28 AM »
If there is going to be any split up I want to see a department of sport fish and game. We need a government agency that manages Sportsman and the game that we pursue. I want my license dollars to fuel the machine that drives us all NOT the general fund.  Let the bunny huggers fund blue bird boxes and the like.

WDFW focuses on all animals, not just ones we hunt.  A dept of Game would focus on game, while a dept of fish would focus on sport fish, historically anyways. 

Nothing to say that it will go back to that, we could end up with a dept of wildlife...err wait 

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 08:53:00 AM »

For me it just seems like it would be more to have two departments and there already isn't enough money.
There's a reason why most states now have a combined Fish & Wildlife agency, in fact many are now moving towards a merger with F&W with Parks. It comes down to streamlining.

If you split DOW and DOF you would essentially need two of everything, two directors, regional offices for fisheries and regional offices for wildlife, licensing staff for fisheries and licensing staff for wildlife, an enforcement program for wildlife and an enforcement program for fisheries. That's how it was handled before the creation of WDFW, and looking at the legislation that's how it would be moving forward. Right now those things are combined.

Then lets look at money/funding. Historically, Fisheries was full of $ and Wildlife was poor. The reason being Wildlife was funded solely by license fees and Fisheries by tax dollars. The bill doesn't really go into what the funding would look like. We will have to wait a little while until the "fiscal note" comes out which will essentially lay out the cost of the bill.

I think many on here will vote in favor of this bill because they don't like the current management of wildlife, well what guarantees do we have that it will change if the agency splits?

Realistically, this bill is dead on arrival. With just one sponsor, especially just one R in a democrat controlled House.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 09:19:57 AM »

WDFW focuses on all animals, not just ones we hunt.  A dept of Game would focus on game, while a dept of fish would focus on sport fish, historically anyways. 

Nothing to say that it will go back to that, we could end up with a dept of wildlife...err wait
that's my whole point. We won't end up with a Department of Game, we will have a Department of Wildlife. It literally changes nothing except we will have to add additional infrastructure to cater to the two different departments.

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 09:27:27 AM »
I know its just a name thing, (and a little off topic), for several states but I think their policies relate. These states combine game and fish with DNR, and they are treated as public resources, rightly so.  The agency manages other wildlife but focuses on game/fish and sportsmen.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 09:46:08 AM »

There's a reason why most states now have a combined Fish & Wildlife agency, in fact many are now moving towards a merger with F&W with Parks. It comes down to streamlining.

If you split DOW and DOF you would essentially need two of everything, two directors, regional offices for fisheries and regional offices for wildlife, licensing staff for fisheries and licensing staff for wildlife, an enforcement program for wildlife and an enforcement program for fisheries. That's how it was handled before the creation of WDFW, and looking at the legislation that's how it would be moving forward. Right now those things are combined.

Then lets look at money/funding. Historically, Fisheries was full of $ and Wildlife was poor. The reason being Wildlife was funded solely by license fees and Fisheries by tax dollars. The bill doesn't really go into what the funding would look like. We will have to wait a little while until the "fiscal note" comes out which will essentially lay out the cost of the bill.

I think many on here will vote in favor of this bill because they don't like the current management of wildlife, well what guarantees do we have that it will change if the agency splits?

Realistically, this bill is dead on arrival. With just one sponsor, especially just one R in a democrat controlled House.
Sounds like we are on the same page.  I am frustrated as well but don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face kind of thing.  Money is already thin, two of everything just costs more money, not to mention all the rebranding.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 10:05:05 AM »
Instead of one screwed up agency we could have two!

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 10:31:34 AM »
Game Agencies all across American have always been very envious of the Missouri Department of Conservation.  Many years ago they passed a conservation sales tax.   The conservation sales tax more than pays for itself. The 1/8 of 1 percent sales tax returns almost five times the dollars in state and local taxes alone.  The MDC is one of the best funded Departments in the US....or at least they used to be.  Might be something to consider for this state and it's funding for Fish and Game.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]