collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wolf poacher fined in Pend Oreille County  (Read 19795 times)

Offline seth30

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
Re: Wolf poacher fined in Pend Oreille County
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2018, 09:24:02 AM »
Best $8293 the guy ever spent..
so he gets charged that much and the guys down in southwest WA that poached over a hundred big game animals got a 500 dollar fine.  Our system is a little off kilter :bash:
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2018, 09:27:48 AM »
Curious to know if you guys who are supporting this guy would be ok illegally killing wolves yourself in Washington or if you're just all talk?
Honest answers now!!
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2018, 09:41:11 AM »
Curious to know if you guys who are supporting this guy would be ok illegally killing wolves yourself in Washington or if you're just all talk?
Honest answers now!!
Just like the illegal gun laws that get passed very little can be done unless there is a test case with legal standing.

Who wants to be the legal test case for a felony? Not me. Since it is no longer a felony to kill one in this state perhaps the bar is low enough for a legal challenge.

Unless you went out and shot a wolf and drug it to the Game warden and said charge me.... The likelyhood of a perfect test case is close to zero.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline seth30

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2018, 09:42:40 AM »
Honest answers now!!
I am for sound management practices, so far I have not seen any presented by WDFW or the voters of Washington.
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2018, 09:43:39 AM »
I've said it over and over folks, it's not worth it.

The wolves will multiply and make up for any losses this guy inflicted on the pack, the deer/elk he "saved" will still be eaten. 
His "management" of the local pack is short lived, but his record is not.

Fight tooth and nail to get wolves managed, but don't do it yourself, it harms everyone involved.
:yeah:

Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2018, 10:04:38 AM »
Honest answers now!!
Now of course no one would be honest because fish and game certainly watch our site, but I will say this much. I applaud the guys that do kill wolves, I don't see them as poachers.  I hate poachers as much as anyone, this state doesn't do enough to the guys that poach deer/elk, the penalties are a joke. I feel wdfw has anti hunters in there mix of employees, guys/gals that would love to end otc hunting.  We all know the anti's love wolves and we know why.  I just feel its a fight we will eventually lose and hunting in this state will come down to draw only for the next generation, wolves are the enemy besides other factors that we can't change. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2018, 10:19:23 AM »
I can't support this guy, he kept trophies, which tells me he's not killing them just to save deer, or elk, or livestock...he's keeping the hides and skulls. 

If he were killing them because they were getting into his livestock I could support that, if he were killing them because they were decimating the deer off his food plots I could be sympathetic, but he's keeping trophy's. 

So I won't be contributing to a go fund me to bail him out. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:42:15 AM by KFhunter »

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2018, 10:24:31 AM »
If they split the state we can probably legally hunt wolves in a few years in E WA. For now, to avoid trouble, a guy needs to go about 20 miles east of there and legally trap the same wolves!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2018, 10:40:01 AM »
I can't support this guy, he kept trophies, which tells me he's not killing them just to save deer, or elk, or livestock...he's keeping the hides and skulls. 

If he were killing them because they were getting into his livestock I could support that, if he were killing them because they were decimating the deer off his food plots I could be sympathetic and turn a blind eye, but he's keeping trophy's. 

So I won't be contributing to a go fund me to bail him out.
Keeping trophies in this situation is not smart at all, dumb decision for sure.  And like bearpaw said, if he wants trophies he should have just went to Idaho a short drive away. 

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2018, 11:11:06 AM »
Its probably easier to move the State line vs unlisting wolves in Wa.   :twocents:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2018, 12:04:23 PM »
Glad he was caught!  He's a scum bag poacher and his kind is not welcome in the hunting community.

I agree. As much as we don't need or want them here, him killing WA wolves literally does more harm than good... even to us as hunters, and it's yet another black eye for the hunting community.
Unless he some how uses it to make a court challenge....

I'd love to see a court challenge, the elk in the blues have been hit hard, one of our best quality areas is going down hill fast.  wolves are a big part of that problem, if the people who live there and care about the elk and deer herds take a few wolves out, good for them.  Just how I feel about it.

Whether or not I would kill a wolf if given the chance, I'm still happy that two of them were killed; and bummed he is getting punished for doing what WDFW should be highly encouraging us all to do. 

The way he went about it was stupid, but WDFW's predator management strategy is  even more stupid and harmful to hunters.  Is there a time where civil disobedience is excusable?  That's the real rub, and always has been.  Some people submitted to Hitler, and some resisted.  That's the way it will always be.   :twocents: :twocents:

Would dearly love to see a very talented lawyer take a case before a jury somewhere like Stevens or Pend Oreille County. 

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2018, 01:44:06 PM »
Go with bearpaw on this one and your chances of every tagging a wolf are small.  Trapping? if you are very talented and determined this is by far the way to go.  Still not easy or cheap.  Even if you collect all of the help $ offered your fuel bill is likely not recovered.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2018, 01:50:00 PM »
Glad he was caught!  He's a scum bag poacher and his kind is not welcome in the hunting community.

I agree. As much as we don't need or want them here, him killing WA wolves literally does more harm than good... even to us as hunters, and it's yet another black eye for the hunting community.
Unless he some how uses it to make a court challenge....

I'd love to see a court challenge, the elk in the blues have been hit hard, one of our best quality areas is going down hill fast.  wolves are a big part of that problem, if the people who live there and care about the elk and deer herds take a few wolves out, good for them.  Just how I feel about it.

Whether or not I would kill a wolf if given the chance, I'm still happy that two of them were killed; and bummed he is getting punished for doing what WDFW should be highly encouraging us all to do. 

The way he went about it was stupid, but WDFW's predator management strategy is  even more stupid and harmful to hunters.  Is there a time where civil disobedience is excusable?  That's the real rub, and always has been.  Some people submitted to Hitler, and some resisted.  That's the way it will always be.   :twocents: :twocents:

Would dearly love to see a very talented lawyer take a case before a jury somewhere like Stevens or Pend Oreille County.
:tup: Agree

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2018, 05:20:05 PM »
did you know him personally?

He shot an animal with no open season.  He is a poacher.  What more do you need? Want me to draw you a picture?

WDFW Police Capt. Dan Rahn said the department began investigating the case in late February of 2016, while following up on a wolf mortality near the LeClerc Creek Road in Pend Oreille County. Evidence at the scene led WDFW police to property owned by Fowler.
In March 2016, WDFW served search warrants on Fowler’s cabin in Pend Oreille County, and on his residence in Liberty Lake in Spokane County. Rahn said WDFW police found evidence of wolf trapping, wolf hair, tissue, scat, and two skulls.

Can someone define the underlined word for me.   :dunno:
If this link works it shows a picture of a leg trap
http://nwsportsmanmag.com/spokane-area-man-fined-8300-for-poaching-2-northeast-washington-wolves/

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2018, 05:27:36 PM »
He wasn't a complete newbie to trapping, I see he has stuffing under the pan. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]