collapse

Author Topic: Utah's Big 5  (Read 295 times)

Offline fishngamereaper

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Utah's Big 5
« on: January 27, 2018, 07:38:49 AM »
The family and I are doing Utahs southern NP's in June. We are in Zion for 3-4 days. I really want to hike the Subway and Wallstreet. Any one here done them before. I think the Subway is permit only. Just looking for real world experience as some of the other web info I have found is sketchy.

Thnx.

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Utah's Big 5
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 08:22:51 AM »
My wife and I have done it.  Zion narrows hike is so much fun. Hiking the canyon in the stream is a blast.  Be prepared to get wet.  I brought some wadding shoes to grip the rocks.  CRAZY amount of fun. 

Arches is fun as well. I hope are not afraid of heights.  There is a trail that takes you way back spend the day and bring the camera. 

Bryce Canyon is pretty cool.  I think you need a reservation.  We took a tour as we wanted to learn about geology.

Petroglyphs in Capitol Reef are pretty cool. 

Canyonlands is fun.  There is a road called the Moki Dugway or something like that.  We say a dude drive up it in a semi with a 40 foot trailer.  There are signs that say no Semi's.   That cat was a heck of a driver.  If you like to drive windy roads you have to give that a go.  FUN!!! 

Keep an eye on the weather.  If you have a nice camera you need to make sure you can put it in a water proof bag.  We experienced two huge monsoons but my camera was dry.  Others were not so foresighted.

We spent two weeks experiencing the five parks. 
275 down 2

Offline fishngamereaper

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 11:15:03 AM »
My wife and I have done it.  Zion narrows hike is so much fun. Hiking the canyon in the stream is a blast.  Be prepared to get wet.  I brought some wadding shoes to grip the rocks.  CRAZY amount of fun. 

Arches is fun as well. I hope are not afraid of heights.  There is a trail that takes you way back spend the day and bring the camera. 

Bryce Canyon is pretty cool.  I think you need a reservation.  We took a tour as we wanted to learn about geology.

Petroglyphs in Capitol Reef are pretty cool. 

Canyonlands is fun.  There is a road called the Moki Dugway or something like that.  We say a dude drive up it in a semi with a 40 foot trailer.  There are signs that say no Semi's.   That cat was a heck of a driver.  If you like to drive windy roads you have to give that a go.  FUN!!! 

Keep an eye on the weather.  If you have a nice camera you need to make sure you can put it in a water proof bag.  We experienced two huge monsoons but my camera was dry.  Others were not so foresighted.

We spent two weeks experiencing the five parks.

:tup: Thnx for the info. We've done Bryce before but are going to do it again more in depth. The kid is old enough now to pack his own gear. I have some climbing experience but the wife and kid not so much so we are limited to a day in the Narrows but it will be fun. I hear the Subway is just as cool.

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 12:30:10 PM »
Dont miss out on Angel's Landing, it's pretty fun, especially if everyone is okay with heights. If heights aren't enjoyable for your wife and kid, the opposite side of the valley has a cool hike, Clouds Rest if I recall, that gets up higher but doesn't have the vertical factor. When my wife and I went, we really enjoyed taking the tram in Zion up canyon at night, just to hear and talk with the operator. We'd jump on the last one for the night.

Offline hollymaster

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 01:05:46 PM »
Arches definitely had the most wow factor for me with lots of short hikes.

Offline timberghost72

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 04:09:18 PM »
We did the Big 5 in 2013. Spent 10 days in southern Utah and it was not enough time and way too hot in late June/early July. Our daughter was 4 at the time so we didn't hike too much. A few more years and we''ll be back and do more hiking and exploring around. Maybe in April/May. We also skipped the day trip to Capitol Reef and went to the Grand Canyon North Rim instead. It was well worth it and freakin amazing. I want to do Angels Landing but my wife would never go up that.

* Recent Topics

New to WA by zwickeyman
[Today at 06:12:55 AM]

6.5 Grendel to 1050 yards by zwickeyman
[Today at 05:51:01 AM]

Keegan wilder benefit 3d shoot. by Skyvalhunter
[Today at 05:04:33 AM]

Hunting Douglas GMU 108- Is it a lot of Private Land? by optic2
[Today at 04:29:27 AM]

Atlantic Salmon by fish vacuum
[Today at 12:53:50 AM]

Let's see your custom handguns! by PolarBear