collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First coyote 2018...  (Read 3938 times)

Offline OutdoorDude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
First coyote 2018...
« on: February 01, 2018, 11:25:20 PM »
New to this forum so this is my intro post. I've not predator hunted for a very long long long time. As a kid I grew up on a ranch in Wyoming so I did a lot of coyote hunting with my brother and father, but until a couple of years ago I hadn't coyote hunted in 35 years (what the heck was I thinking).

Luckily a couple years ago visited my dad over Thanksgiving with the family and took my son coyote hunting. My brother lent us a couple of guns (.204 and .223) along with his FoxPro call. My son and I had a blast ;) , we called our first coyote in on our first set in 5 minutes. Sadly we missed it.

Our next set we call in another coyote, my son whispered from the otherside of the scrub "dad there's a coyote". Note, we were sitting inside a ground cedar which obscured my vision to how close the coyote was. By the time I saw it, it was 10' in front of me jumping over my FoxPro e-caller. I tried to scope the coyote but had the scope set on 6X which made it impossible to site the coyote so close. So I did a guesstimated shot and it didn't find home.

A few more years have blown by, but this year I've really start to seriously hunt coyotes again. I'm an avid fisherman so during the winter months I'm always looking for steelhead, but now I've started coyote hunting when the rivers are blown out.

This last Saturday the rivers we're blown out, so I head East. After getting to where I wanted to call for the day, I positioned myself above my FoxPro about 12 yards. I positioned my caller in a small clearing. After calling ~8 minutes a coyote came charging in. I let the coyote get into the center of the clearing before I bore-down with some buckshot #00. Made a quick dispatch of the hungry coyote then flipped over to the 'wounded pup' call but nothing came in. Note the #00 the coyote stopped moving before it hit the ground.

Did 3 more sets with no takers, I think possibly, I was to high up in the snow zone or the 10-15 mph wind gusts limited my chance at another coyote, but who knows.

If any of you are located around Vancouver WA and want a hunting partner let me know.
Things that make life awesome: duck, spring bear, coyote hunting, tuna, salmon and steelhead fishing.

Offline redi

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Sourdough
Re: First coyote 2018...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 12:07:53 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the coyote and good first post. akeep it up.

Offline DropShotDarrin

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 02:58:17 PM »
Congrats!. Still looking for my first Coyote. I went East as well last week around the south end of Banks lake. How ever Saturdays weather was low visibility and 12mph gust. My Dad and I did 6 sets and nothing came in but did see some fresh prints in the snow that morning. Sundays weather was better and we seen 5 coyotes that morning in fields but we couldn't bring them.

Offline ELKBURGER

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 05:27:44 PM »
Welcome to the group. Looks like your trip east was worth the drive! Where did you end up hunting?
I have been dealing with some family troubles but hope to get over there soon. Getting cabin fever!

Offline OutdoorDude

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 10:06:06 PM »
I used onX app and looked over in central Oregon for some BLM/US Forest land and headed East. Had to modify my exact location a bit due to a locked gate, but went to the next road and was able to access the targeted area. The depth of the snow was a big surprise. Wunderground weather app said possible 1-2", but ended up being 6-8". I was going to hunt two days, but my hiking boots got soaked and I didn't bring a second pair.

Looking forward to Feb 16th-21st, I'll be back at my family's ranch in Wyoming and hope to post a bunch of coyote picts.  :)

Things that make life awesome: duck, spring bear, coyote hunting, tuna, salmon and steelhead fishing.

Offline ELKBURGER

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 08:04:27 PM »
How was your trip to Wyoming?

Offline OutdoorDude

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 10:26:05 PM »
Cold and snowy but did manage to get a few.

Offline OutdoorDude

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 10:30:39 PM »
Full moon had the coyote's hungry today, got a "hat trick". Dang near got ran over again by an incoming "yearling" coyote today, if I hadn't seen it out of the corner of my eye and whacked it before it could run me over.

I keep trying to post photo's what's the trick?

« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 10:52:27 AM by OutdoorDude »

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 06:32:59 AM »
Use the Preview button before you post.  There is a box that appears below your text box that says-

+ Attachments and other options   Click on it.

A box appears that says Choose File  Click on it and choose your attachment

There is a clickable (more attachments) below that is you'd like to string several photos on your post.

Offline OutdoorDude

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 08:52:09 AM »
Yesterday photo

Offline ELKBURGER

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 08:49:50 AM »
Great Day!!! Are you whacking these out of town or locally? What rifle are you shooting with??

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 01:56:03 PM »
3 is a great day for sure!! Well done!

Offline OutdoorDude

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 10:07:25 PM »
Steve (FYI I responded to your PM), I drive for a couple hours to where I like to hunt. 5 out of my 6 coyote this fall have been with my 12 gauge with 00 buckshot. This was the first time I've ever done a double with my shotgun at one set. I always have my shotgun in my hands when I call and my .223 next to me.

Offline ELKBURGER

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2018, 04:59:06 AM »
Sounds like a pretty good set up. A double with a shotgun is a great feat in my book!

Offline OutdoorDude

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 10:08:28 PM »
Over the holidays my son and I got "hat trick". He got to try out his new new 12 gauge and I learn I have to think about shot placement. My Mojo critter took a few pellets  :( and my Shockwave as well. Have the new parts for the Mojo on the way and Foxpro said they'd fix it during my off season for predators. Both work, but look a little haggard  :o

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal