collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Selecting a puppy from a litter  (Read 5642 times)

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Selecting a puppy from a litter
« on: February 07, 2018, 03:16:43 PM »
What do folks look for?  Things to stay away from or that would concern you?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:55:59 PM by lokidog »

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Selecting a pupply from a litter
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 03:26:39 PM »
I've only picked two from litters but their personalities carried over into adult traits.  First time we picked the female that ran across the yard to us while the other pups watched.  She was very much an alpha dog her whole life.  The second was a shy pup while most of the others were jumping on their back legs trying to get at us from the play pen.  She was sweet and shy as an adult.  Depends what you are looking for, but their traits with the litter are much more indicative than when you meet them alone. 

All I would stay away from would be sickly pups - thinner than the others, listless, duller eyes/coats, diarrhea.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 03:31:41 PM »
What do folks look for?  Things to stay away from or that would concern you?

Looking for a working dog or family dog? Like double said, depending on what you are looking for, there are hints you can find while watching them.

My last dog we watched the litter and also brought a bird wing to test their attention to it. My dog was first to it and that is all she cared about. Once it was gone, she was sweet and just wanted love so it was an easy choice and she has been an awesome dog .
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 03:32:16 PM »
I technically had second pick of the litter when I picked out my pup, but I knew I needed a dog with high drive and even some stubbornness and toughness. The family that had first pick of the litter was a Seattle family who wanted a couch pup. So the breeder separated the two males into a pen and let me come choose which one I wanted.

I brought a handful of pheasant tail feathers and set them down in between the two pups. The I ended up with immediately ran over to the feathers, picked them up and started running around the enclosure with them. The second one barely lifted his head up when I first entered the enclosure, and had fallen back asleep almost immediately.

Those traits have translated almost perfectly to the dogs as they've aged as well.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 03:52:10 PM »
The dog will be a hunting dog and family dog.

Offline Old Dog

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Old Dog
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 07:27:50 PM »
I thought this had some good info.

http://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-z5edn-7ee0e4
Hunt hard and shoot straight!

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 08:31:09 PM »
As a breeder, we have chosen which pup goes where based on what we know of the pup's personalities and the desires of each new owner.  It has worked really well so far for three litters. 

We've noticed puppies acting one way then a few days later they will be completely different.  I guess you can get lucky with just a few minutes of observation, but more would be better.  :twocents:

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 08:53:02 PM »
 :yeah: I agree Loki, I used to breed and sell hound puppies all over the US, breeding and raising pups helped me keep good young dogs coming up for my own needs and the sales of the other pups helped me raise my family. You can definitely judge with a pretty good degree of accuracy what pups will fit the buyer's need based on what they say they are looking for. However, at least with hounds, every pup is quite dependent on the quality of training that is provided by the new owner.

The dog will be a hunting dog and family dog.
I agree with what others have said about picking pups, given your two desires, if you have a choice, I would pick out the two or three pups which are the most outgoing adventuresome and aggressive with a training item, and then pick the puppy out of those that is the most people friendly and loveable. Confirm your thoughts with the breeder and that's your pup!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline jagermiester

• Longhunter
  • My family is my life
Re: Selecting a puppy from a litter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 06:16:11 AM »
I filled out a questionnaire and had multiple conversations with the Breeder telling him my plans and desires before driving to Boise to pick my last pup up. When I got there I was focused on another dog because he was better looking and playful. The breeder told me that dog was going to Jackson hole Wyoming to be a house dog for an old man that will probably never hunt him. That’s your dog he said, 8 months later he scored a perfect 112 in a NAVHDA test and I’m no dog trainer. He is a loving dog to the family and we all love him, because he’s our dog. He has no quit and hunts hard in cold weather and with tore up feet because of his prey drive. That’s something that is hard to see in 15 minutes.

Depends on what you want. But if you are getting a good dog from a good breeder that’s going to spend 2 months with all the puppies you may want to ask him/her what he thinks. Or more ideal find a breeder that places the dogs.
Lead em if they're running.

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 07:52:48 AM »
I'm on my second chocolate lab from the same line and the two dogs couldn't be more opposite.

This last time, I visited the pups 4-5 times before I picked my pooch and spent time watching them. I also took a GoPro and videotaped their interactions so I could see which dogs showed early signs of dominance, aggression, timidness, etc.  It was a valuable tool and greatly informed my pick.

I'm not experienced knowing what to look for in dogs so I read a bunch, talked to quite a few breeders, hunters and lab owners to help shape my own important traits. The video helped a bunch and now I look back at it and see some of the traits I saw then in Benelli today.

Good luck!

Offline bigdave

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 09:01:25 AM »
I do not pick the alpha pup......I usually choose the one right below the alpha best i can discover. Its worked out pretty good for me.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 09:11:16 AM »
I agree with breeder recommendations to an extent.  You are usually buying a pup based on the parents.  Meet the parents, interact with them.  You have no idea what the pup has been doing the past few hours before your visit.  Maybe one just woke up from a nap, maybe a different one just played for an hour straight. 
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline jagermiester

• Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 10:17:22 AM »
I agree with breeder recommendations to an extent.  You are usually buying a pup based on the parents.  Meet the parents, interact with them.  You have no idea what the pup has been doing the past few hours before your visit.  Maybe one just woke up from a nap, maybe a different one just played for an hour straight.

:yeah:

Probably the most important thing to consider. Good responsible breeding is the key.

FYI:
Speed Train Your Own Bird Dog
By: Larry Mueller
Awesome book and the beginning of it has some great tips for picking the pup out of the litter.
Lead em if they're running.

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 11:06:12 AM »
You pick the parents (litter) you want and then let the wife and/or kids pick the pup from the litter. 

I read this several times while I was researching how to pick pups out of a litter.  I pretty much subscribed to this for the 3 pups I have brought home and it has worked out pretty well. This works great if it is going to be a true family dog and helps get other members of the family involved.  And you can always sway their decision or narrow it down if their are pups you absolutely don't want for reasons stated above.       

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 11:21:27 AM »
You pick the parents (litter) you want and then let the wife and/or kids pick the pup from the litter. 

:yeah:
I didn't read any research about this...it just happened. The other dog was doing all those things people suggest (using it's nose, looking for the wing and playing with it) The one we chose, my wife picked up, it licked her face, snuggled up and basically fell asleep. I looked over at her and knew the decision was made. Told the breeder (Warren from I.F.) to just put the other one away  :chuckle: It was the best decision...couldn't ask for a better dog in the field and in the home. Basically our 3rd kid and the best thing is...when she has done something that makes the wife upset, I say...you picked her!!! She (both my wife and Cedar) are the best.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]