collapse
GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR GPS MAP Bearpaw Outfitters, Quality Hunts for over 30 Years

Author Topic: A Bumping goat down!  (Read 8361 times)

Offline MuleySniper

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • ridin dirty
Re: A Bumping goat down!
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 04:59:41 PM »
Thats cool. Id like to draw goat second priority to drawing sheep. Maybe by the time I turn 50.
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline Mtn Hunter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2007, 05:49:28 PM »
Hello, first of all, I have to say thanks to Todd for helping me with this hunt. He was heading home the morning we spotted the goats up on the hill. After a few minutes to think about it he cancelled his Sunday plans and hunted one more day with me. After hunting with me for 3 days of snow and rain and not one goat sighting we were both excited to watch a large billy (9"+ horns) and long white coat, scale a cliff about 1/2 mile from us. We had hunted very hard the preceding days, including a hike on top of Nelson Ridge in a blizzard, but we spotted these goats from the road. About 6 nannies high on the hill and the billy 200 yards below them. We hiked up about 1,500' and came down from above them. First we ran into a group of three goats which included a small billy and two nannies, but we were after the the big one, so kept going. Working our way along the cliff face looking for the Billy. After an hour of searching we realized he had moved on. I was starting to think maybe I should have taken the smaller Billy when I had a chance. We continued working our way down the ridge and ran into 3 more goats. A different bunch than before, but also a smaller Billy. Being that this was the fourth day of the hunt and the last day I would have help getting a goat of the mountain I told Todd I would take this one. I knew Todd wanted to be there when I did harvest one after climbing so many mountains with me. I worked my way down a rock chute while Todd watched from above. When I got within 40 yards the Nanny winded me and ran taking the kid with her to my right. The Billy just watched them started to slowly walk over that way. I waited for a couple minutes for him to pass just below me and then shot. I did not realize how steep the slope was until I watched the goat roll out of sight. A few hundred yards later I found it stopped next to an uprooted tree. The horns were a little scuffed up, but the meats seems to have not suffered any damage. We were excited to finally have our goat down! However on closer inspection it did prove to be a Nanny. Even though my tag is either sex, I planned to not shoot Nanny to benefit the herd. The horns sweep back more like a Billies and when you are 40 yards away with 10 power binos they look huge! They measured just over 8".
Anyway it was a great hunt! If anyone ever draws the tag, I am happy to tell you some good areas. We did see a number of goats while scouting. Being familiar with both areas, I would recomend the Goat Rocks over this unit. But any tag is better than no tag!                        Good hunting to you, Jared

Offline GOcougsHunter

• Hunter
    • HuntWashingtonState.com
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2007, 08:03:14 PM »
Congrats Jared!  Bumping's been my Choice 1 for the past 14 years.  Can't wait to get drawn.  Good looking goat...  you definitely earned it.
Introduce someone new to hunting this year.

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 05:07:47 PM »
I wouldn't exactly count out blazed ridge either, its a lot harder access, but i was up there a few times this last year and saw a lot of goats, but indeed i put in for goat rocks as choice 1.

* Recent Topics

BBD. Norway pass by redi
[Today at 12:22:00 AM]

Wet optics while BT/Roosie hunting! by fishnfur
[Today at 12:07:36 AM]

2017 Deer, post them here (photos & stats) by cooltimber
[Today at 12:00:12 AM]

Notched My Multi-Season Tag This Mornin' by Seahawk12
[Yesterday at 11:35:54 PM]

Lost Wallet-Nile by Seahawk12
[Yesterday at 11:31:26 PM]

Butchering video by quadrafire
[Yesterday at 11:10:30 PM]

Mt. Spokane North Moose Tag by benhuntin
[Yesterday at 10:10:01 PM]

First bear ever! Alpine by PastorJoel
[Yesterday at 10:02:44 PM]

30"? by muleracks
[Yesterday at 09:57:57 PM]

Grayland surf perch by sled
[Yesterday at 09:52:23 PM]

Hotels in Republic, reccomendations. For modern deer. by RB
[Yesterday at 09:51:09 PM]

Found**** hunting rifle by huntnphool
[Yesterday at 09:50:17 PM]

Trapping Oppurtunity, Purdy Gig Harbor area. by Humptulips
[Yesterday at 09:50:03 PM]

212 ELDX .300rum anyone? by Lightning_Rider
[Yesterday at 09:49:20 PM]

The Rich Outdoors (Blacktail podcast) by fish vacuum
[Yesterday at 09:35:20 PM]

Montana Bound - Archery Mule Deer & Antelope by jackelope
[Yesterday at 09:30:09 PM]

Call to action: Your chance to advocate for WA Wild Sheep by Romulus1297
[Yesterday at 09:20:37 PM]

Blacktail Rut? by fishnfur
[Yesterday at 09:18:03 PM]

Does anyone actually rinse their deer with a hose after it has been skinned?WHY? by j_h_nimrod
[Yesterday at 09:14:45 PM]

Washington State Mule Deer Hunting Future (poll) by NOCK NOCK
[Yesterday at 09:13:55 PM]