collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: decoys ?????  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Aaron bosley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
decoys ?????
« on: April 01, 2009, 09:16:27 AM »
if you are calling turkeys do you half to have decoys out??????

Offline SpokaneSlayer

• Sourdough
Re: decoys ?????
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 09:20:11 AM »
No you don't.  I killed my first bird without a decoy.  The set happened to fast to set them out.  I called in a nice tom for a buddy without a decoy.  Shot it at 15 yds.  I shot my second bird using a single upright hen decoy.  I have 4 deke's in my arsenal: 2 hens, a jake, and a strutting tom.

"Let freedom ring with a shotgun blast!" - Machine Head

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:53:26 AM »
No...as Slayer said, you don't need decoys to hunt turkeys.  In fact unless you have been in multiple situations with birds over the years, as in your case, a new turkey hunter, you would probably put yourself at a disadvantage using one.

There is, in my opinion a real knack to successfully using turkey decoys.  You have to read the situation you're in and then decide to use one or not.  Then the placement is of paramount importance.  Put it in the wrong place and you'll either spook and incoming bird or hang him up.  Put it in the right place and dead bird.

That's not to say that turkey hunters have not just stuck out a decoy and have one come screaming in....it happens, but not the norm.  I rarely use one.....but there are those times when it will make a difference.  In fact I just bought a new one, because I liked the looks of it and also where I plan to hunt is on private lands that we have permission.  Still, I will use it or not use it depending on the situation.  I've enclosed a picture of it.  If you're going to get one ...get a good one.

Safety is another issue.  People stalk turkey noises and decoys.  Be sure if you decide to use one, you do it with safety in mind.  Have a clear view of at least 180 degrees plus so you can see anyone coming before they are within range of you, and have your back to a tree wide enough to shield you from incoming shot.

"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 01:55:06 PM »
Have to agree, as long as it is not too open behind you, you don't necessarily need one.  If it is open behind you and a bird can't see what is calling, they may hang up.  But if it sees one from a distance, it may stop and just say gobble gobble "you're supposed to come to me".  So like said above, it depends.  I've never tried a strutting tom decoy but am looking forward to trying it this year asthey seem to work well.

Offline Dekker

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 02:53:10 PM »
I had a little bad luck last year on the opener with a full strut decoy.  I got setup with a buddy and had three mature Toms fly down within 20 yards of our setup.  As soon as they saw the "b-mobile" decoy they turned their after burners on and took off running.  I was in such shock that neither I nor my buddy shot because they were running so fast.  I guess they probably got whipped a day or two before by the dominant bird.  Anyway, I switched over to a jake decoy with hens and it has worked much better.  Just my  :twocents:

Offline Aaron bosley

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 08:20:06 PM »
what do wild turkey tast like????

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 09:25:45 PM »
Like wild hickory nuts......no just kidding with ya.  Mostly dark meat, taste like turkey, somewhat drier if cook it like a regular turkey.  Not that big wide breast you are used to seeing on a turkey ready for the oven.  A big keel like breastbone with the meat sloping down and the outward at the sides.
Just imagine a regular turkey with a good portion of the breast not being there.....they're built for speed and survival ya know... :chuckle:
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 09:47:56 PM »
what do wild turkey tast like????

Chicken.. :chuckle:
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline BLKBEARKLR

• Frontiersman
  • Taxidermist
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 10:03:08 PM »
They taste exactly like a small ostrich
22 years 3 months and 4 days, happily retired from the U.S Army.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal