collapse
Double U Hunting Supply See our Super Grade Outdoor Equipment!

Author Topic: Rock Collecting  (Read 9967 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Rock Collecting
« on: April 28, 2007, 07:16:18 PM »
Does anyone have any great ideas of where to take a couple small kids rock hounding.  If anyonw wants to give me some pointers I would love it and keep it a secret if need be, you can shoot me a pm.  I've taken them around E-burg to look for agates, but that wasn't super productive.  Today we stumbled into a bunch of petrified wood while out on a shed hunt.  We didn't find any antlers, but came homw with a handful of gorgeous rocks.  It can be from Oregon to Montana to the ocean.  I've heard there are some great streams to find carnelian agates over on the westside, and even some good beaches to look at.  I would really appreciate any help.  Thanks!

Offline Otto1

• Scout
Re: Rock Collecting
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 09:28:46 PM »
here is a typical haul for my beach agate expeditions. For me it makes it alot easier if the sun is out and down lower in the sky.

If you can get on some less traveled beaches (minimal public access) after a storm with the sun out, your in business! (try Point Roberts)

I have found two really cool blue swirl agates over the years. One I have polished and one I have left natural.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 08:01:33 AM »
Cool finds.  Thanks for the pointers.  I'll get some pics on here of the girls and their finds.  They were cute.  We had gone to a rock and mineral show thislast week, well they set up their own displays with lights etc.  Funny.  Daddy loved every second of it.  I have to get out my reference books and figure ou what the difference is between opalized wood, petrified wood, flint, chert, agate, etc.  We were walking down the road and my daughter holds up a piece and asks me if if this a rock or a piece of glass.  Then we started finding it.  SAD thing to admit is that I have driven by here countless times and walked by here 4 times in the last month and didn't notice a thing.  Mr. Observant I guess.  I usually end up bringing home more rocks than antlers though.

Offline brush hunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 09:13:34 AM »
Old river beds work well, also I've found some great rocks in the neighbors rock garden when there not home.
That's my one shot.

Offline Otto1

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 05:52:12 PM »
here is a are the two blue agate,,, the pictures dont do them justice, they are transparent but ya cant see it in the photo...The one on the left is the polished one, it was pretty drab like the one on the right untill after the polish. I am tempted to polish the other one but I like using it as a reference.

Offline Otto1

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 06:30:32 PM »
here are a few more. My second favorite is red agates and this one is a great example. The other one I am not sure what it is, it looks as if it has some agate in it, but I think that it may be some fossilized clams or something.

Hopefully I can find one of my favorite finds. I call it the tooth agate, but the wife seemed to have misplaced it somewhere.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 07:25:25 PM »
but the wife seemed to have misplaced it somewhere.
check the driveway, thats where mine end up. ;)

Those are AWESOME.  I've never seen a blue one like that.  I would be very tempted to polish the other as well.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 08:06:48 PM »
here are some of their finds

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 08:07:27 PM »

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 08:18:38 PM »

Offline Otto1

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 09:30:23 PM »
very nice! looks as if ya got a couple of geologists in the making. if you ever make it over to the whatcom county area I can point you in the direction of some pretty good beaches and some with limited access, but ya swear ya cant find any of my blues........... :)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 07:16:48 AM »
Thank you very much.

Offline Fletch

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 11:45:33 AM »
My parents told my of a place near republic that you can hunt fossils...not exactly the type of stones you are looking for but if you have amateur paleantologists like I do It might be up their alley!

those blue stones are cool!

Offline Idabooner

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 04:14:25 PM »
Nice rocks and a couple cute Granddaughters

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 05:30:45 PM »
The girls and I went back after work.  the gate was open so we drove to the buried rock. It turns out it was basically a petrified tree.  When they bult the road, they must ave hit the top of it and thats why the rocks were scattered from there.  I dug a big ole hole and kept trying to get under the wood.  Its very fragile and I broke alot of it, but got some nice pieces.  I've never seen anything like it.   I'll try to get some good pics.  I got some arrowhead making material.  I cut the heck out of my hands.  That stuff is unreal sharp.  I'd cut my hands and not even feel it, sharper than a surgical instrument.

Offline Otto1

• Scout
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 11:42:39 AM »
Well the round one that I thought was petrified clams is actually fossilized corral from a glacial movement.

Here is the one I call my dinasaur or shark tooth or native point that the wife had hidden from me.. but most likely its just a funny formed agate

Offline Krusty

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 03:12:37 PM »
Boneaddict,

I'd suggest you look in a Washignton or Oregon Atlas & Gazetteer. In it, there is a list of rockhounding areas open to the public.
I'd also suggest you check with the Washington State Mineral Council, they have some really good sites too.

Here's some of my favorties though;
The Lyre River, on the Straight of J.D.F. is a great choice. In the river and down onto the beach, are agate, jasper, and petrified wood. While you are there, it is a top notch sea-run cutt fishery, and not a bad place to "surf" fish.

Gold Mountain, outside of Darrington, the Mineral Council has a collection site where you can find honey colored travertine.
And all of the creeks and rivers in the area are good places to pan for gold.

The Ginko Petrified Forest, in Vantage. The interpretive center is a great place to start a rockhounding trip, and a destination all by itself.
A good place to find petrified wood, quartz, and amethyst. It can get very windy and/or very hot here, so timing is everything.

Icicle Creek, Leavenworth. At the Johnny Creek Campground, right next to the road, is a sandstone wall, embedded with garnets, some up to the size of a pea. The loose dirt in the ditch itself, is worth panning down, garnets will hang up in a pan pretty well.
And the creek itself (Icicle) is a great place to pan for gold.

Red Top Mountain, in the Teanaway. A trail leads you up to the Red Top Lookout, worth the trip in itself, and on to one of the best public digs anywhere. Specimens include, quartz crystals, agate, and thunder egg geodes.

Ingalls Creek, Blewett Pass, one of this State's most celebrated gold rushes.
There's over 18 miles of river (much of it inside the Wilderness and "unclaimed") , it's a great place for panning, or even for exploring.
There are several stories of "lost mines" and even a story of a group of prospectors who stashed fifteen pounds of gold nuggets, when they camped for the night, only to be killed by indians. Nobody ever found that gold. A little historical research could give the grandkids a sense of "purpose", and a reason to explore.

Third Beach, La Push, a great beach and hike, has agates and jasper, and some of the best skippin' rocks on the planet.

There is another site, for thunder eggs, I want to say near the John Day Fossil Beds, in Oregon. It is supposed to be one of the best places to find geodes bigger than your head! (I tried to google up some more specific info, but I'm having trouble with my ISP).
I know it is north of the town of Madras, and south of The Dalles, somewhere around Antelope, if that's any help.
I first saw a story on the place, on the Oregon Field Guide show on PBS. Contacting them might be a way to narrow it down?

If I think of any other places I'll post again.

Krusty
Sarcasm; just one of the many services I offer.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 04:11:42 PM »
Thank you so much for the information Krusty.  I'm itching to hit the trail.  I appreciate it, and if the girls and I find something from your hints, I'll be sure to let you know.

Quick Links

* Random Photo New

2 pt

Views: 273
Posted by: Wea300mag
in: Raffle Hunt Pics

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal