collapse
Advertise on Hunting-Washington Double U Hunting Supply

Author Topic: Ultimate Trophy Duck  (Read 17832 times)

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
Re: Ultimate Trophy Duck
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 07:28:16 PM »
I'd like to shoot one of these critters as well.  Fish eating little machine.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Intruder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 07:52:21 AM »
Mature drake:
Canvasback
Pintail

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 08:37:24 AM »
Mandarins will be wherever someone let one go or escaped.   I had three get away from me back when I did ducks. 

If it flies like a wild duck and looks like a wild duck, in my book, it's a wild duck......  I guess the eurasian widgeon I saw last fall in Willapa Bay was an escapee also.

Offline teal101

• Team Kramer Farms
  • Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 08:41:24 AM »
Mandarins will be wherever someone let one go or escaped.   I had three get away from me back when I did ducks.  

If it flies like a wild duck and looks like a wild duck, in my book, it's a wild duck......  I guess the eurasian widgeon I saw last fall in Willapa Bay was an escapee also.

Not to be an *censored*, but that comment is plain retarded.

Mandarins in the U.S. are 95% escapee.  They are a VERY commonly kept aviary bird and escape frequently due to the numbers in captivity.  There is a small released population supposedly in south central California that the DFW released down there.  The Mandarins native habitat is in central Europe, a wild bird making it over here, while not impossible, would be quite rare.

Eurasian wigeon are common vagrants from Russia into Alaska and all down the pacific coast.  It is suspected they are actually shifting migration patterns to include the pacific coast, hence the increase in spotted and shot Euros in the past few years.

Offline jordano

• Sourdough
  • Cupped and Comin'!
    • http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=593729282&sk=info
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 01:10:13 PM »
Big Bull Can, Sprig, or Drake Woody. All full plumage.  I finally got a couple bull sprigs this year but not great color....
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 01:52:29 PM by jordano »
Ozzie

Do what you like. Like what you do.

<><

Gettin' their feet on my face!

Offline andrew_12gauge

• Sourdough
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 01:47:29 PM »
Mandarins will be wherever someone let one go or escaped.   I had three get away from me back when I did ducks.  

If it flies like a wild duck and looks like a wild duck, in my book, it's a wild duck......  I guess the eurasian widgeon I saw last fall in Willapa Bay was an escapee also.

Mandarins in the U.S. are 95% escapee.  They are a VERY commonly kept aviary bird and escape frequently due to the numbers in captivity.  There is a small released population supposedly in south central California that the DFW released down there.  The Mandarins native habitat is in central Europe, a wild bird making it over here, while not impossible, would be quite rare.

Eurasian wigeon are common vagrants from Russia into Alaska and all down the pacific coast.  It is suspected they are actually shifting migration patterns to include the pacific coast, hence the increase in spotted and shot Euros in the past few years.

mandarins are native to asia(i.e. russia, japan, china) kinda like the eurasian wigeon so one could do the same as a eurasian wigeon and end up here i would assume, the populations in europe are there for the same reason as strays here from what i can tell

Offline Rowdy

• Hunter
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2010, 01:47:44 PM »
One with a big $$$ band on it  ;)

Grew up hunting ducks down in the Willapa and have got quite a few cool ducks but never did get a drake woody.  Pops got a couple on the old family farm but I never did get one.

Offline teal101

• Team Kramer Farms
  • Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 02:45:26 PM »

mandarins are native to asia(i.e. russia, japan, china) kinda like the eurasian wigeon so one could do the same as a eurasian wigeon and end up here i would assume, the populations in europe are there for the same reason as strays here from what i can tell

Ha I knew that too, serves me right for going off memory alone.

The main difference between the two is the type of duck they are.  A Mandarin is a close cousin to the Woodduck, both being perching ducks.  While it's not impossible, the probability of a Mandarin jumping continents is unlikely.  They are shallow, small water birds, not really suited for trans continental flight, but it can happen.

I assume the main reason for the increase in wigeon numbers is due to where they breed geographically.  They breed in the far north, compared to the mandarin which breeds mid range to my knowledge.  being far north allows them to spread across the north and thus a few stragglers make the journey across the Bering sea into North America.

The other factor I see is overall numbers in population.  Mandarins while common, still aren't nearly as numerous as Euro wigeon.

As we all know, birds are not confined by anything other than their own will to go somewhere and anything can happen.

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2010, 05:51:07 PM »

You called it yourself.....  What part of the name Mandarin is European??  They are native to China, Korea, Japan and eastern Siberia.  I wonder if eurASIAN widgeon might have made a wrong turn along with a Mandarin or two.  The exotic bird business is highly participated in in Lewis county as everyone knows so I guess there is no way it could be a "wild" bird.

Oh, just noticed the same response to your opinion from some others here, so who's looking retarded now?  Have a nice day!

Offline chester

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2010, 12:02:27 AM »

Grew up hunting ducks down in the Willapa and have got quite a few cool ducks but never did get a drake woody.  Pops got a couple on the old family farm but I never did get one.

Ducks with bands in the bay are a myth...I know one friend who got one in menlo...in 20yrs thats all Ive heard on ducks.
Dilligaf

Offline teal101

• Team Kramer Farms
  • Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2010, 09:04:14 AM »

You called it yourself.....  What part of the name Mandarin is European??  They are native to China, Korea, Japan and eastern Siberia.  I wonder if eurASIAN widgeon might have made a wrong turn along with a Mandarin or two.  The exotic bird business is highly participated in in Lewis county as everyone knows so I guess there is no way it could be a "wild" bird.

Oh, just noticed the same response to your opinion from some others here, so who's looking retarded now?  Have a nice day!

See my post above this one you just posted.  They are very different species of birds.  I can guarantee 95% or more of the Mandarins shot in the U.S. are aviary escaped birds.  Never said it couldn't be a wild bird, chances are very low that the Mandarin is.  Shooting a wild Euro is much more likely.

With how common Mandarins are to get for aviarys I don't even know if I'd call them an exotic anymore.

Offline Rowdy

• Hunter
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2010, 09:24:10 AM »

Ducks with bands in the bay are a myth...I know one friend who got one in menlo...in 20yrs thats all Ive heard on ducks.

I shot a banded Drake Mallard in the early 90's just outside of Tokeland about a mile inland from the bay on my uncles cattle farm.  The farm had a nice slough running through it and when the weather got bad ducks would start piling in there.  Some of the best shoots I've ever had.  If the weather was nice we'd be lucky to bag a couple.  After lunch we'd catch some monster sea-runs in there also.  Sorry for getting side tracked.

Jake

Offline teal101

• Team Kramer Farms
  • Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2010, 01:23:03 PM »
Or a Smew, always liked the looks of those.

Offline Blacktail135

• Virtual Campfire
  • Scout
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
 In no particular order my next year's target's are:

Bull Canvasback drake.
 Mature Harlequin drake.
 Old Squaw drake.
 Redhead drake.

Bonus bird's would be: European Widgeon (had 2 on my property most of the last 2 month's of the season, out of many American Widgeon. A buddy got one of them on an adjoining property. Now there's been one hanging out there! Kudo's to him! A Cinnamon Teal, Blue-winged Teal and a "red" Ruddy would be cool but I have to agree that the ultimate would be a King Eider. 

Offline seaduckhunter

• Hunter
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2010, 01:53:30 PM »
Eiders and a nice dreke  Cinnamon TEAL for sure.  I shoot Harlis and old squaw every year.  Woodducks if you know where to hunt them are easy too.  I love this State because we have  such a variety.  Harlis are very easy it is good there is a limit of one because the decoy so well.

Offline seaduckhunter

• Hunter
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2010, 01:59:05 PM »

I Believe you can shoot Mandarins year around because they are unclassified wildlife that arent native.

See my post above this one you just posted.  They are very different species of birds.  I can guarantee 95% or more of the Mandarins shot in the U.S. are aviary escaped birds.  Never said it couldn't be a wild bird, chances are very low that the Mandarin is.  Shooting a wild Euro is much more likely.

With how common Mandarins are to get for aviarys I don't even know if I'd call them an exotic anymore.

Offline RileyTDF

• Tracker
  • TeamDeadFowl
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2010, 02:41:20 PM »
Eurasian Wigeon and Harli's seem to be at the top of somes list.  I wouldn't mind taking a king Eider.

AGREED going up the Island x and shooting a King Eider is on the top of the list.
~~!!TeamDeadFowl Makes It Rain!!~~

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Old Salt
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2010, 02:54:50 PM »
Riley??  Are you alive??  I just went to your funeral... :dunno:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline RileyTDF

• Tracker
  • TeamDeadFowl
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2010, 04:38:36 PM »
Riley??  Are you alive??  I just went to your funeral... :dunno:

HAHa yeah mark im still around...kinda avoided the site for a while..considering all the grief people kept giving me for "public" hunting spots lol.
~~!!TeamDeadFowl Makes It Rain!!~~

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2010, 09:38:08 PM »
Some info from the Seattle Audobon Society.

The Baikal Teal breeds on tundra and taiga in central and eastern Siberia, winters in southern and eastern China and southern Japan, and is a casual vagrant to Alaska and down the coast to California. This highly decorative duck has long been popular in waterfowl collections, which complicates the question of birds found in the wild. In the past most records were assumed to be escaped birds. Such was the case of a male Baikal Teal shot from a flock of Green-winged Teal at Dungeness (Clallam County) in January 1920. A more recent record of a long-staying visitor near Kent (King County) in winter 20042005 has been accepted by the Washington Bird Records Committee. Oregon and British Columbia each have one record as well.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline seaduckhunter

• Hunter
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2010, 10:07:35 PM »
Just got a picture of my Euro widgeon off my phone it is almost ready

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer