collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Joshua Cup III Big Game Contest  (Read 81090 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Joshua Cup III Big Game Contest
« on: June 22, 2010, 06:33:40 AM »
I really want to keep this contest alive.   Its a way to give back and have a little fun doing it.  
I believe Actionshooter just recieved the travelling plaque.  BTKR posted a story of a kid in need of funds to go to the world championships for archery.  His profile is a little different than what we have supported in the past.   After several inquiries, I think he is the perfect candidate for this charity.  I can't think of a better young man for a site dedicated to the men and woman of the outdoors to support. Meet the recipient of this years Joshua Cup.....
Sean Elza

Local archer Sean Elza qualified for the World Team Archery Championships in Hungary next month, after winning the National Archery Association Field Nationals and taking first place in the World Team Trials.

He needed to raise four thousand dollars to travel overseas to compete for Team USA, and has already raised more than half of that.

Details of the contest:

Here's the contest......$20 to enter for ALL of your Non-resident/out of state hunts(one fee covers all hunts).  Send the money via paypal to massivemuleys@fairpoint.net which is our Huntwa account and I'll keep track of the funds to make a bulk payment to our sponsored soul, or contact me via pm and I'll give you my address and you can mail me a check. Some funds will be lost to fees if paypal is used, not much but some.   I will collect the funds and about once a week or so, I will send the money to our sponsored soul .   Those that enter will be listed in this sticky thread .   Currently there is no prize for winning the contest, but we are working on something.  Right now its just to help someone, and some bragging rights. THERE IS A TRAVELLING TROPHY, and if actionshooter is so kind, he can get a closeup of it maybe and I'll add it tothis thread.  

-The contest will begin with the up and coming seasons 2009 license year.  The contest will end midnite Dec 31st.  Some seasons will not have run yet or may still be open, but the contest is over at this time.
-Any animal recognized and measured by Pope and Young or Boone and Crocket will be eligible.
-The animals scores will be compared to the world record of each animal for each method of collection and for each category nontyp/typical etc.  The score will be turned into a ratio and the one closest to the New world record, or the one that beats the new world record by the largest score.  WINS
-Anyone that is hunting a Non-resident hunt is eligible.   That means if you are from Montana and hunting Idaho, you are eligible.  If you are from Texas and hunting Colorado, you are eligible.  If you are from Washington, the animal must be from out of state.   Washington state hunters that are interested in donating but are not going out of state can "enter" the contest just for the posterity of it.
Entrys will be judged on the honor system by the Boone and Crockett club or Popes, scoring system.  These MUST be fairchase hunts as outlined by those scoring systems.  
Similiar to the Washington contest, I would like a committee of judges to be formed.   These judges are eligible for the contest.   They reserve the right to reject a trophy if an issue arrives or have it measured by another party.  (Where's the lawyer, this is a pain to write)  If one of the committee members  trophies is in the top three, then they will be replaced with another member to take their spot on the committee.    The committee will reserve the right to reques tthe top three entries to be officially measured if it is necessary.  Sometimes a clear victor rules out the necessity of this step.  The officail score sheets will need to be posted prior to the first of March.
The committee reserves the right to adjust or add rules during the contest if needed.
I was going to put a deadline on when your funds needed to be in for the contest, but since this is an honor system, at this time I would like to keep the contest open for more applicants if possible as this is a fund raiser.  Funds must be entered prior to the hunt or it will not count.  PLEASE have your funds in prior to hunting.  You must have your application in before harvesting in order tfor the animal to be eligible for entry into the contest.  

Currently, myself, and Robodad will be committee members.  If our sponsored soul becomes a Millionaire and is no longer in need of funds, then the committe will reserve the right to help out someone else in misfortune.

If you send me a check, please make sure you note your online name somewhere so I can track it down.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 04:25:13 PM by boneaddict »

Offline Todd_ID

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
Re: Joshua Cup III Big Game Contest
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 09:25:35 AM »
I'm in again this year since it's a good cause.  I never kill anything, so I'm no threat of getting a trophy.
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline MuleySniper

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 09:27:52 AM »
Cool! This year I might have a chance!! :)
MS
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 09:41:33 AM »
My stupid cursor was driving me nuts so I had to move my entries to this spot.  If there is a date after your name it means you've paid.  Remember to mention who you are when you pay so its wasier for me to match it up.
THANK YOU ALL FOR PARICIPATING

Boneaddict...............6/29..............Nevada
WDFWSUX...............       .............Wyoming
Ray........................6/30 ...............Montana
r benn.....................7/7    .............Montana
Wackmaser...............7/6  .............Wyoming
MuleySniper.............. 6/30 ..............Oregon
PacificNWHunter........ 7/6   ..............Idaho          
Actionshooter........... 6/30...............Support
Killbilly......................6/30...............Support
Doublelung................ 7/7     ................Wyoming
Jameslong................  7/12  ................            
JJ hunter................. 8/1       ..............Wy and CO
Gutpile....................7/12 ..............Wyoming
Robodad................. 7/13   ...............Support
Crowns..................7/5...................Wyoming
Bigshooter..............7/11.................Oregon and Idaho
Todd ID.................7/11..................Idaho
Cohoho.................. 7/21 ..................AK and Wyoming
NWWABOWHNTR......7/12..................Support

MtnMuley...............11/1...................Montana
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 08:50:28 AM by boneaddict »

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 09:52:13 AM »
I contacted Sean's mother via e-mail.  What a delightful lady.  Here is a portion of the communication.  I hope they become members of the site and feel free to become active (if not already).  I'd love to follow how he is doing.  For now It will be up to us as members to limit how much we want to sponsor Sean in his endeavors.   I hope he would also like to be part of the HUNTWA team as well as supporting TEAM USA!

My name is Sharmell Elza, I am Sean's mom. Thank you for taking your time to inquire about Sean and his fundraiser!

Wow! How exciting to hear that Sean's story is reaching others! He is an amazing, humble young man, always willing to help others and I believe this is why people have been so willing to help him! We just reached the goal amount stated by USA Archery.Although we are finding that there are a few above and beyond things that we were not told about.   I am confident that I will be able to ask frined s and family to help pull the rest together that is necessary to get there and return!  .

Thank you, again, for looking in to Sean's situation! Sean has been shooting really well but this came as a complete surprise, especially when he won and we were told he had a little over 3 weeks to come up with the money to be able to attend. Another archer, Mr. Timm Hines put up the initial $600 to secure his position or he would not have had the chance at all!

The past 18 months have been a huge struggle for our family, as it has for many! For us, it has been the biggest financial struggle of our lives. (It is coming around though!) We use to fund a few of Sean's tournament trips but for the past 2 years, Sean saves and works odd jobs to be able to attend the various competitions that have enabled him to get his name out there. He has worked so hard and we are hoping that a company or individual will see his hard work and accomplishments and would like to be his permanent sponsor.

Regarding the charity work you all do, please let us know if there is anything we can do to help! Sean stated he would love to help in any way he can. He is an excellent teacher and loves to help others learn the technique and to help them have fun. Please let us know if we can help in some way!

If you would like to talk to him, give him a call. He will return your call in between classes, work and practice!  I promise! He is getting so excited and feels great about this tournament!

He said he would LOVE to have 5000 extra fans to cheer him on!

I'm not sure if you would like a couple pictures but I will attach them just incase.

Your site is wonderful! The photography is amazing! (I love to take pictures of our beautiful state and our family hunting and fishing!)  The whole site is super user friendly and full of useful information! And...YES, Sean loves hunting! He shoots target and field tournaments and has numerous awards. He shot a few times when he was a boy scout (I was the archery range master) but didn't actually pick up a bow again until he was 15. That's when he started shooting local tournaments and winning. Let me know if you would be interested in hearing a little more about his adventures.
 He received his USA Team uniform today! WOW!! I have attached a couple pics and one from NAA National's in Spokane where he won the #1 position to attend the World Championships.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us!

GO Team USA! Go Sean Elza!   

With much gratitude,

Sharmell Elza
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 04:16:57 PM by boneaddict »

Offline buckhorn2

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 10:06:49 AM »
Let me know when it;s set up and you can count me in.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 10:15:18 AM »
Hopefully all the info you need is in the top post.  If you have any questions, fire them off in this thread and or pm me.  Let me know if you send funds becasue I am not always monitoring it. THANKS!

I'll be the first to enter my name in the hat.   NEVADA here I come.

Hungary, here comes Sean Elza

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 04:28:45 PM by boneaddict »

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 10:17:33 AM »
x

;)
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 10:41:47 AM »
I'm in. I'll shoot a doe. Don't worry about me winning.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 10:43:59 AM »
SWEET!   

Offline rb2506

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 10:45:46 AM »
I'm in,   Montana
tagged out and going to town

Offline MuleySniper

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 10:57:11 AM »
Its official... Oregon for me ;)
MS
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline PacificNWhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 11:13:59 AM »
In as always!

Offline wackmaster

• Longhunter