collapse
Double U Hunting Supply See our Super Grade Outdoor Equipment!

Author Topic: Walmart and Cabelas  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Curly

• Explorer
Walmart and Cabelas
« on: March 08, 2008, 10:05:50 PM »
Some people HATE Wal-Mart and would not be caught dead there.  I assume it is because they are perceived as making the smaller "mom & pop" type of stores go out of business.  Isn't Wal-Mart and Cabelas similar in that they hurt the little guy?
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
Re: Walmart and Cabelas
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 10:11:58 PM »
I don't hate either store, but I do hate that much of what they sell is made in China.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/PolarBearBaitCo
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 10:12:06 PM »
I dont like either but not enough to say that I hate them.  Cabela's is good for camo clothing and some ammo but not much else IMO.  I prefer Sportsman's *censored*house.  Wal-Mart, I avoid it when possible.  I think that I have too many teeth to hang out there on a regular basis.
P&Y bucks & bulls, predators and any game fish that swims!!
Life is too short to settle for dinks!
polarbearbaitco@yahoo.com

Offline shanevg

• Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 11:36:38 PM »
"Sportmans *censored*house?  LOL.

Offline bowhuntin

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 12:40:01 AM »
I like Cabelas, but don't buy much besides camo from them. I can get better deals at the Sportsmans Warehouse on anything else I need. I hate Walmart, don't ever buy something there unless I absolutely can't find it anywhere else.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 09:57:40 AM »
 I like both. Anymore, the last thing I need to do with my 5.7L engine is to drive all over the county gathering materials and supplies. Wallmart to save cash on stuff, Cabelas to save gas on stuff. Even if Cabelas is a few bucks over someone else, they always have my size, and the quality is good. I could have saved 40 bucks on my shotgun if I drove to Vancouver (nobody else had one...), and spent 60$ gas doing so. Both stores get my thumbs up.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline KillBilly

• Al Stover, Region 6 WFW President
  • Frontiersman
  • Semper Fi
    • http://www.facebook.com/
  • Groups: WFW, WWA, WWC, WSTA, WWPHA, SCI, USSA, SAF, CCRKBA
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 09:59:55 AM »
Your choices don't match my thinking. First of all, I HATE crowds. I will go to WalMart when they have something I need and at a price lower than anywhere else. Pretty much the same for Cabelas. I have been to Cabelas 3 times for things I couldn't get at other local stores. One of three was a bad experience (crowd) so I can't really complain. I usually go to Sportman's Warehouse unless I am looking for clothes.
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem.
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 10:03:39 AM »
Good point. I shop Wallyworld late, after 9pm. Living nearby cabelas, I go after 7pm, most of the "out-of-towners" are headed home, no crowds then either. Maybe that is why I have had good customer service there too?  :dunno: (I hate crowds too!)
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Red Dawg

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 10:09:26 AM »
i am not fond of either. but cabela's is the only outfit that sells my camo pattern at an affordable price. I will never set foot in a walmart.

Offline Snowman

• Longhunter
  • If only it was easy, than it wouldn't be a journey
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 11:27:25 AM »
 I look at the price of gas and way the options. Who ever is closer and has what I need that's were I go.
Hunting and Fishing is not what I do. But who I am...

Offline MikeWalking

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 07:02:40 AM »
I remembered something about Wall Mart on the way home last night.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/310355_walmart05.html

I can't find the story I was looking for but a former Wall Mart employee has sued claiming intercepted cell phone/ text msgs led to her firing.  A reporter had asked Wall Mart for permission to talk to their employees, while at work, about Union activity. Wall Mart consented to phone interviews only if management could listen in, they did.

Days later this woman was fired. She claims she was fired for making critical comments to a reporter. The problem? She says she made them via Text msg on her way home.

Wall Mart admitted that employees were intercepting cell phone and text msg traffic but "without permission" using their own equipment at work.

Offline kramman

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 09:31:20 AM »
I dislike both stores hurt mom and pops pay very little to their employees and have poor sevice.I shop at f. meyer they pay a living wage to their employees,also enjoy sportco in fife over cabelas imo.i do understand shopping at wallyworld if live in rural areas of E.wa. one stop shopping and you probably drove some distance to get there.but for myself with all the choices i have there is no way u would ever see me at walmart

Offline Bofire

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 06:14:40 PM »
Wal-Mart sells K-Mart junk cheap. Cabelas has some good stuff, and sells high.
??
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

sisu

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 07:17:10 PM »
I hate Walmart I make my wife to there to get what ever I need. If I am forced to go I'll try K-mart first, then Walmart if all else fails. Normally I can go into K-mart get what I want have no wait in lines to purchase the item, usually Castrol Oil for the truck, and van and I am on my merry way. If I have to go to Walmart it's ALWAYS a wait in a friggin' line and the store is backed with hacking people.

Cabelas has better quality soft goods, fishing reels, poles, etc. than K-mart or Walmart. I only wish that there were small mom and pop companies that made sfot goods for hunting and fishing. The small companies that turn out soft goods usually charge more but the quality and workmanship is fall better than the big guy
That being said, I'll go to the White Elephant and buy guns, gun accessories, reloading components etc. before I go to Cabelas. Also for fly tying supplies I'll to the Swede's Fly Shop on N. Ash before I'll drive to Post Falls or to the Valley (Sportsmen's Warehouse, Joes), plus the owner is not half bad to BS with.
So far I only go to Cabelas if there is a need to get something that can't be bought locally for less travel expense.

Offline edmondshunter

• Scout
  • work to hunt, hunt to eat, eat to hunt more
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 08:21:30 AM »
I don't like either store to be honest.  A friend of mine has been trying to start a hunting/fishing specific store in the Edmond's area for two years.  He has been haggling with suppliers to sell to him at a decent price so he can compete with Wal-Mart, now Cabela's, and Joes. 
These Mega-Mart stores pay employees low wages with inferior benefits,  They give you just enough to keep you working, but not enough to really live.

I have to admit that I bought my .270win Mod.700 @ Wal-Mart, $250, couldn't beat that even used.  Looking back at that, now Ill pay a buck or two more to buy my rounds at the local gun dealer.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 08:57:42 AM by edmondshunter »
A pat on the back is just shy of a kick in the ass..

Offline TONTO

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 08:49:59 PM »
Bob's

Offline robodad

• Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 09:39:15 PM »
I have to admit, that have to like Walmart since my kids eat food and wear clothing bought at walmart with the nearly $20.00/hr my wife gets for working there. I know that big business is big business but at least walmart gives back to the community, I can't tell you how much money we raised at her store alone for the Children's Miracle Network and the Relay for Life which donates money to cancer research. Her store donated several thousand dollars to a local christian preschool that my kids attend, and they almost always have a drive of some kind gathering food for the food bank or clothes for the foster kids or what ever.

The items at walmart are no better or worse then I can find elseware in town but they have better prices and better selection usually. On things that matter like tools I still go to the specialty store so I don't have to go back all the time to return broken stuff but most things I get at Walmart, And it pays the bills !! Can't complain bout that !!
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline Bookworms Wife

• Pilgrim
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 05:15:22 PM »
It's the nature of the beast.   You shop at Walmart when you have too and time it for early in the morning or later in the evening.  Where else do you shop in the Centralia/Chehalis area?  K-Mart doesn't have much anymore and why go to multiples places.  Get what you need and get out.  :IBCOOL:

Now, Cabelas.  Won't ever go back.   We do our business at SW.

Offline muledude

• Tracker
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 09:28:46 AM »
I went to Cabelas a few weeks Back and was not Impressed at all. They have a awesome looking store and displays, But the crowds were abslutely horrible and I was not impressed at all with there selection,,Alot of stuff that has very little to do with hunting and fishing.. More like a amusment Park. Wallmart NO WAY....Sportsmans Warehouse Is my preferance, Less People, Better selection,,And they dont have a half dozen restraunts and all that other BS>>> :twocents:

Quick Links

* Random Photo New

RAINBOW

Views: 211
Posted by: STEVEA
in: Fishing Photo Album

* Recent Topics

IRS Audit tomorrow :( by Band
[Today at 07:21:22 AM]

Kid Isn't His, but Man Must Pay $30K in Child Support by Special T
[Today at 07:20:12 AM]

cougars sighting. what would you do? by Soady