collapse
GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR GPS MAP See our Super Grade Outdoor Equipment!

Author Topic: magazine capacity  (Read 2701 times)

Offline kingmountain

• Off-Topics
  • Pilgrim
magazine capacity
« on: October 07, 2010, 07:12:10 PM »
What magazine capacity is legal to hunt with. Is it different for big game versus small game.  Regs are vague to say the least.

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
Re: magazine capacity
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 07:15:29 PM »
I want to say 5, but don't go out in the field on that one! give it a few minutes I'm sure one of these knowledgeable gents will let you know for sure  :hello:
Granted the ability to cause a A nuclear explosion that produces a rapid release of energy from a higher power resulting in the sudden and catastrophic demise of a thread.

Confucius say:
A crowded elevator smells different to a midget!
Man that go to bed with itchy butt wake up with stinky fingers!
Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.

Offline goosegetter79

• YAR Member
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 07:15:39 PM »
I think the only restriction is when you hunt bird's with a shotgun. Shotgun can only hold 3 shells. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Offline dontgetcrabs

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Team Maybe Next Time
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 07:28:38 PM »
I think the only restriction is when you hunt bird's with a shotgun. Shotgun can only hold 3 shells. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

For sure only 3 for birds.  No limit on varmint and I believe no limit on big game.   :dunno:
"A gun is like a parachute . . .
If you ever need one & don't have one . . .
You'll probably never need one again."

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 07:31:52 PM »
Capacity of three for upland birds and waterfowl.  No limit for everything else.

Remember it is capacity and not actual ammunition in the shotgun.  You can have an empty shotgun, but if is capable of holding more than three shells and you have it while you are bird hunting, you will be cited.
”Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." Ronald Reagan

Offline kingmountain

• Off-Topics
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 07:39:50 PM »
found this on another forum Join Date: Aug 2008

Trade Ratings: (0)

Jaybo's Icons   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have NOT missed anything. 4 years ago, the 5 round capacity limit was lifted. There is now no longer a limit on your semi-auto hunting rifle. I would not recommend anyone who needs more than 5 shots to even be out in the woods, however, it is legal to carry around a 30 round magazine in your 30-06 if you choose. Technically speaking, one can use a 30 round magazine in an SKS for Elk if they wanted to... not recommended by the Fish and Game Department or by me..

I have called the Washington State Fish and Game Enforcement Office to verify this.

.243 is still the smallest caliber to hunt large game with, however, coyote and cougar can both be hunted with a .22 centerfire round.  m.

Offline goosegetter79

• YAR Member
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 07:40:27 PM »
Capacity of three for upland birds and waterfowl.  No limit for everything else.

Remember it is capacity and not actual ammunition in the shotgun.  You can have an empty shotgun, but if is capable of holding more than three shells and you have it while you are bird hunting, you will be cited.

Forgot to put that part in.  My plug never comes out of the shotguns so I never think about that. Thanks for posting that bob.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
that is the way i have heard it. no restrictions on mag cap for varmit or big game.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND OUTFITTERS
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
FFL-Outfitter-Guide-Booking Agent
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 07:47:18 PM »
Here's a little twist to consider: some of the newer 12 gauge 3 1/2" chambered shotguns have a plug that allows only two 3 1/2" shells in the magazine, but will allow three 2 3/4" shells in the magazine.  That means it is capable of holding four 2 3/4" shells, which is illegal.

The way this is being enforced is up to the discretion of the officer, but the general guideline is this: if the hunter has only 3 1/2" shells in his possession he should not be cited.  However, if he is hunting with 2 3/4" shells he may well be cited.

That's a real gotcha: you buy a new Remington 870 12 gauge 3 1/2", put the plug in, and assume you're legal.  Well, maybe not....
”Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." Ronald Reagan

Offline goosegetter79

• YAR Member
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 08:05:25 PM »
My mossberg 935 is a couple years old but I don't have that issue. I can only get 2- 2 3/4" shells in it and still get 2 3 1/2" shells in it I mainly hunt with 3" tho.

Offline dontgetcrabs

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Team Maybe Next Time
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 08:06:35 PM »
My mossberg 935 is a couple years old but I don't have that issue. I can only get 2- 2 3/4" shells in it and still get 2 3 1/2" shells in it I mainly hunt with 3" tho.

Same with my 870 super mag.
"A gun is like a parachute . . .
If you ever need one & don't have one . . .
You'll probably never need one again."

Antlerking

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 08:11:40 PM »
my super black eagle is so close, the 3rd shell is about 1/8  from going in to the tube.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 08:21:25 PM »
 :o hope you have tried that with 2 3/4" shells. because that is what the wardens test with. i had a buddy that was shooting 3" shells, the 4th would not go in. he got checked and the 4th 2 3/4" shell made it in :bdid:

Antlerking

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 08:23:40 PM »
Ya  I was refering to 2 3/4 shells. It is close but no cigar :)

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 08:30:46 PM »
 :tup: just wanted to make sure you where o.k. a lot of guys shoot 3-3.5" and don't check the smaller shells.

Quick Links

* Random Photo New

2009 bear

Views: 721
Posted by: cougkilr
in: 2009 Bear Album

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal