collapse
Double U Hunting Supply Advertise on Hunting-Washington

Author Topic: Pheasant populations  (Read 11971 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Pheasant populations
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2007, 06:48:05 AM »
Its amazing how things just disappear out in the Wenas.....no paperwork, no problem. DAMN coyotes must be eating everything. ;)

Shadow Cat

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2007, 11:38:33 AM »
I like coyotes... they eat EVRYTHING!!!

sisu

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2007, 01:49:05 PM »
For you guys in Eastern Washington:  how do you think the pheasant population is going to be for hunting season this year?  Are you seeing more pheasants than last year? 
I've seen a lot of birds where new town, Spokane and I believe the only way to possibly hunt them with land owner permission is by bow and arrow. I spoke with a fella who's land I wish to hunt and he told me the populations don't look promising...he might be saying that just ot get me off his wish list though. That particular area is do south of me and not in an area that would limit shotgunning.

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2007, 08:28:54 AM »
eastern wa pheasant hunting on public dirt is always tough, the private land hunts are hit and miss. we are losing a ton of land to the rich lease *censored*s that find it better to line a pocket then ask for permission.....oh well it was good while it lasted.

I have a piece of land that I have hunted for 17 years, I am good friends with the land owner and we visit all year. last year he, for the first time ever, leased his land to a hunt club. I asked for permission and he told me he had leased it, but would ask the manger for an exception...nope. for 2 grand sure. I tell you what, when a local guy can't hunt local land it kills me. I asked if I could simply walk 1/2 mil through his place to access a landlocked section of state land and same deal......nope.

he appologized and said the $$ they offered was too much to resist. the truly sad part is the hunting was so-so but it was only 10 minutes from home. now some wealthy microsoft schmuck drives all day to hunt in my back yard for 40 grand a year, he could have hunted for just the effort of asking.

sisu

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2007, 11:14:08 AM »
I just had a friend call me to tell me of 1000 acres for sale asking price was 480,000 dollars. Some friends of mine and I have been toying with the idea of a limited access community. We are all former Alaskans that are tired of neighbors close as hand, etc. We are all outdoors people with a passion to be alone on a piece of land that offers 4 seasons. If it's in the right location a fella could raise some brood stock for hunting.

Offline scottr

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2007, 10:18:10 PM »
I think the farming practices are a big contributor. They no longer keep cover or edge rows, and they are using more pesticides (less bugs). Yes there are a lot of family farms but more and more the farms are being bought by big corporate farms. It's happening to the orchards near my folks place in Orondo (that and all the rich people are buying up property).

But on the other hand farmers also have a lot of land in CRP and this is very good for all types wildlife. The new push for bio-fuels may put CRP at risk as it may be better for these farms to grow corn and other crops that can be used to make ethanol etc. 

Also there needs to be more predator control done to deal with raccoons, yotes, etc. I want to get a .17 just to put a few of these varmints down to help the birds.

* Recent Topics

Salmon fishing/Not likley by fishngamereaper
[Today at 05:42:27 AM]

Backcountry with kiddos by Skyvalhunter
[Today at 05:21:55 AM]

Can anyone help me identify what animal makes this sound? by Skyvalhunter
[Today at 05:19:30 AM]

Body of missing woman found mauled by mountain lion, coroner says by Skyvalhunter
[Today at 05:19:14 AM]

Marten by Skyvalhunter
[Today at 05:16:10 AM]

Bullwinkle by Skyvalhunter
[Today at 05:14:34 AM]

Skyline Kicker by boneaddict
[Today at 05:00:51 AM]

beagles by buck n rut
[Today at 04:55:28 AM]

Old wounds by b.roberts
[Today at 04:38:58 AM]

MT CWD Hunt Discussion by andrew_in_idaho