collapse
LockNLoad Outfitting  Central Alberta Outfitter GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR GPS MAP

Author Topic: looking?  (Read 5215 times)

Offline chester

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: How long after the shot do you go looking?
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 05:45:31 AM »
Rifle hunting 90% of the time it drops, go over quickly, cut the mountain oysters off, remove the leg glands, cut and drain immediately and open it up so it can begin to cool.  Sit down and begin to wonder how I'm going to get this thing out of here. 

Gut/rump shot :bash: Sit for at least a half hour then start on the trail.  Dress out immediately.

yea pretty much sums it up. I also scramble to the nearest high point once i find the animal praying for cell service.  :chuckle:
Dilligaf

Offline coachcw

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 06:37:29 AM »
From a bowhunters perspective . I'll get right on the blood if its raining hard so not to loose the trail . In other situations I'll wait 5-10 min if I know its a lung shot  and if its not good or a little back I'll wait three hours . one other point is I always try to stat quiet after a shot on a elk I'll cow call and try to calm the animal down thats worked many times once I had a bull stop and bugle back at me after a poor liver shot , he then just turned and walked slowly away and I was able to watch him bed up . I havn't hit any animal through both lungs that went more than 100 yards .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline WSU

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 07:59:14 AM »
With a bow unless I see or hear it crash Ill give it an hour.  I typically hunt in places where there isn't much if any hunting pressure so I know my animal isn't gonna get taken by someone else.

In 2003 I shot a cow elk with my muzzle loader.  She went down got back up and ran off.  In my excitement I ran over to where I shot her and found blood and hair   So figuring she must be dead and couldn't be too far off I immediately went in after her.  I found two of her beds with blood in them.  I never found her until 2 days later all bloated up.  It was gut wrenching and I vowed that would never happen again.  I learned from that mistake and so far (knock on wood) I havnt done that since. 

Exactly how I learned the lesson, although it was a muley buck in my case.  Good blood, but jumped him out of his bed and went along way.  It then started raining and I lost the trail and the deer.  Had I given him time he would have died very close to where he was originally hit.

* Recent Topics

Streak is over! by Milkman
[Today at 06:35:46 PM]

Washington State Mule Deer Hunting Future (poll) by Jpmiller
[Today at 06:32:27 PM]

the coming storm??? by Magnum_Willys
[Today at 06:31:49 PM]

Son's first buck and unique shooting style by runningboard
[Today at 06:29:20 PM]

2017 Deer, post them here (photos & stats) by benhuntin
[Today at 06:29:08 PM]

Bobcat down by Whitenuckles
[Today at 06:28:02 PM]

Cats(Nature's Way Taxidermy) by Whitenuckles
[Today at 06:20:13 PM]

Jolly mtn fire, Teanaway GMU 335 by teanawayslayer
[Today at 06:19:29 PM]

Blacktail Rut? by Whitenuckles
[Today at 06:16:02 PM]

Great Idaho Bucks by Whitenuckles
[Today at 06:04:09 PM]

Last day muzzy spike by runningboard
[Today at 06:02:34 PM]

2017 Youth First time kills by YoungFowler
[Today at 05:41:32 PM]

5th Annual Hunting Washington Waterfowl contest by carpsniperg2
[Today at 05:35:42 PM]

WTB- Youth .243 or 7MM-08 by Rem14
[Today at 05:33:50 PM]

Buck Down by Turner89
[Today at 05:31:35 PM]

Should 209 primers be legal? by bobcat
[Today at 05:24:14 PM]

Rtspring and "E" have done it again! Buck down!!! Pics and story added.. by elkoholic1
[Today at 04:53:58 PM]

Goose Prairie Bull Elk Hunt by Naches Sportsman
[Today at 04:53:58 PM]

What gun for bear, for wife? by n_mathews13
[Today at 04:51:34 PM]

For Sale: Outdoorsmans Optics Hunter Pack by Northwestwenz
[Today at 04:37:09 PM]