Offline hunterrcc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« on: April 09, 2011, 10:18:55 PM »
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 11:43:56 PM by hunterrcc »

Offline DeerThug

• Longhunter
Excellent.  Dogs are just as bad a coyotes.

When I was a kid I was on the lower Yakima just messing around with my 22.  Bout February after the snow left.  At just a few feet a doe came running by.  In seconds was a dog, Shepard mix hot after the doe.  I shot him.  He was followed by several more, some were young pups, around a dozen or so.  Cant remember exactly how many I killed, but I emptied the gun and reloaded. so that was 30 shots with the first rounds and then the finishing off shots.  I wounded several that ran off.

Now here is the weird part of the story.  A couple of years later I ran into a farmer who I knew very well.  he was feeding his cattle not far from where this happened.  there was this dog in his truck with a messed up leg.  The dog started growling at me real vicious like.  He got after the dog and said that the dog never acted like that to anyone.  He said he found this dog when it was a pup in the barn and that some one had shot it.  It took me a while to piece it together, but later I figured out that that was a pup from the pack that was chasing that doe.  Never did go back and tell him the story.

Moral of the story, deer chasing dogs deserve no mercy.
Shoot straight Shoot often

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
PICS PICS PICS

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline MikeWalking

• Virtual Campfire
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
This is the reason I started packing in the first place.  After using my Mountain bike as a shield and whacking a couple dogs gone feral, on two rides... way up the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie. 

Offline Mike450r

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
I would have done the same but unless you are being attacked or they are chasing livestock it is not legal.  I doubt anyone on here will turn you in but the post is out there.

Offline kibber

• Pilgrim
Mike450r never heard of this being a problem. What law says you can't shoot a wild dog in the wild?

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
It sounded to me like they were growling at HIM.   :dunno: 

Offline Mike450r

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
Mike450r never heard of this being a problem. What law says you can't shoot a wild dog in the wild?

I will have to find it, will post when I do.  It basically says WDFW must be called and an agent needs to be the one to make the call whether to dispatch the dog(s) or not.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
I would have done the same but unless you are being attacked or they are chasing livestock it is not legal.  I doubt anyone on here will turn you in but the post is out there.
+1...i had a dog get shot ~250 yds behind my house.  Of course the kid said she was chasing a deer... the next day when she died from a .22 in the gut I decided that if I ever had another dog shot I would beat the living $hit out of whoever did it. 

Shooting dogs that are not 100% wild and clearly a danger is a bad idea.  It's illegal and it could be someones pet/hunting dog.  Mine was a very nice young red bone hound.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • Nice...............
Same thing happened to me near Ephrata. It was 5 pitbulls. I called the WDFW in Ephrata and they said it's not their problem.They told me to call the animal control people. I didn't because it's a waste of time.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 12:37:39 PM by CAMPMEAT »
I could care less about what anybody says..............

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
Good for you!! 

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
I think it is perfectly legal to shoot dogs harrassing animals, or feral animals for that matter (ie hogs).  Heck, 15 yrs ago my dad and I were watching a group of dogs surrounding a cow elk, when a sheriff pulled up, said go ahead and shoot em.  I had my video cam out, he took a couple shots at them with his rifle that he was packing.  He says they are a prob out there (yak valley).

Offline Mike450r

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
77.12.315. Dogs harassing deer and elk--Declaration of emergency--Taking dogs into custody or destroying--Immunity

If the director determines that a severe problem exists in an area of the state because deer and elk are being pursued, harassed, attacked or killed by dogs, the director may declare by emergency rule that an emergency exists and specify the area where it is lawful for fish and wildlife officers to take into custody or destroy the dogs if necessary. Fish and wildlife officers who take into custody or destroy a dog pursuant to this section are immune from civil or criminal liability arising from their actions.

Unless these conditions are met, the dogs would need to be an immediate threat or harassing livestock to be legally killed by a civilian, otherwise would need to be killed by an officer of the WDFW.  Typically an officer can make the decision acting in the interest of the director and make the decision on the spot.  I am not condemning what you did by any means,  just saying I wouldn't post about it.  You could probably get it dismissed by a judge with common sense but I myself do not have the time or money to test it. 

Offline dscubame

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
 :mgun:  then ask questions.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
Way to clean up!

When I lived in the lower valley I shot a LOT of dogs.  Many with collars, many that were thin/sick/injured etc.  You are right about the hispanic population turning the dogs loose when they go back to Mexico.  October was usually a big month.  I think the most I killed in a month was 17 and that was October.  I tried several different ways to fix the problem, at that time Yakima county didn't have a animal control officer.  The people I talked to wanted me to catch, hold, bring to them and then pay a fee for them to kill them.  Screw that. 

First time I've ever heard of it being illegal to shoot someone elses dog on your property but in my situation there were always livestock involved.

Those of you that may be interested may want to look at Neospora.  Most vets I've talked to say virtually every herd they have tested for in the Yakima Valley has tested positive.

Kill em all, (minus the neighbor dogs), they get a warning or two first.

Gringo
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline TeacherMan

• Virtual Campfire
  • Frontiersman
  • 189" 11x13 P&Y
What App did you get for your i phone??? I have one and I was looking. Not sure what to search?

thanks
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline TeacherMan

• Virtual Campfire
  • Frontiersman
  • 189" 11x13 P&Y
What App did you get for your i phone??? I have one and I was looking. Not sure what to search?

thanks

I googled it, had it text to me, bought it for $1.99. I have to say the coolest app I have on my phone! Thanks!!!!!!!!  :tup:

Its very clear, strong sound. I just need to find some good speakers now.
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline Buckslaya

• Hunter

I was waiting for the punchline, but it never came?? :dunno:
Expect nothing from anyone, except for the unexpected...

Offline jackmaster

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
congrats sir, thanks for lookn out for the animals that cant defend themselves, thats the last thing these animals need is some mexi pup turnin his dog loose so he dont have to take care of it and pow are animals that we pursue pay the ultimate price.......  I FOR ONE CONGRADULATE YOU, AND YES KILL'EM ALL, KEEP UP THE FIRE FELLA.. :hello:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Online boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Sounds like self defense to me.  FIRE AWAY!

Offline jager

• Sourdough

TUMTUM, Wash. – Wednesday KREM 2 News learned about a second brutal attack on farm animals in the town of Tumtum.
4 out of the last five days farm animals in Tumtum have been killed.  Sheriff’s deputies say they have set up extra patrols to catch them, but even so people in the area are taking matters into their own hands.  They say they’re on the lookout for a gang of vicious dogs attacking and killing animals.
“I think it’s going to keep escalating and keep going until they’re caught,” said Mariann a neighbor in the area.
Tuesday night there was an attack at a farm on Scott’s Valley Road.  That’s where a valuable pygmy goat was killed along with the goat’s two babies.  That attack happened about a mile from the first attack KREM 2 News reported Tuesday night. Dozens of rabbits, sheep and chickens were savagely killed there.
“It was pretty intense, it seems like they’re going between houses,” said a neighbor.
The dogs started killing Saturday April 2nd and Sunday April 3rd, since then they have come back twice.  In all 11 sheep, 25 goats, several chickens and geese have been killed or gone missing for a value of approximately $3,500 dollars.

Check the video -http://www.krem.com/news/local/Vicious-dogs-attack-and-kill-more-Tum-Tum-farm-animals-119378154.html

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
Shoot them all!
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Wake me when you need me.
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
I don't like the idea of shooting dogs. It pains me a great deal, mainly because MY dog is my best friend... I would rather we kick the $hit out of the owners for not being responcible. I feel sorry for WaCoyoteHunter for loosing his dog... I used to think it was bad to confine your dog too much. I know now that it MY duty as dog owner to do so... My last Chessy chaised a neighbors horse when i let him run  and wan't paying attention. Thankfully the man gave me a kindly warning so I didn't have to figure it out the hard way... I would never admit to stacking dogs up like you did, but realize that there is too much red tape to bring judgment to those who should be held responcible. Many people in E Wa let thier dogs run, or have the mind set that if they get shot runover etc the dog was too stupid to figure it out... I've got too much time and $$$ invested in my mutt to have that same mindset.  :twocents:
The Truth is like Poetry, and most people hate Poetry

Offline jackmaster

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
it isnt guys like you special t or guys that care for there dogs period. its people that dont want there dogs and turn there back on them so they have to fend for themselves, which leads to us having to take matters into our own hands i know i dont want to shoot a dog there is no thrill in that hunt, but i care for are farm animals and deer and elk than i do a dog that has reverted back to the wild  :twocents:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
it isnt guys like you special t or guys that care for there dogs period. its people that dont want there dogs and turn there back on them so they have to fend for themselves, which leads to us having to take matters into our own hands i know i dont want to shoot a dog there is no thrill in that hunt, but i care for are farm animals and deer and elk than i do a dog that has reverted back to the wild  :twocents:
:yeah:
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.