collapse
Advertise on Hunting-Washington Advertise on Hunting-Washington

Author Topic: 2002 silverado - starting issues  (Read 2943 times)

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
    • Flickr
2002 silverado - starting issues
« on: August 12, 2011, 09:07:56 AM »
Alright, kind of an odd issue I have going on, hoping maybe someone can provide some insight.

My truck has been having a hard time starting on the first try, very randomly for the past 3 or 4 weeks. First, I thought maybe it's my battery as I knew it needed to be replaced, so I replaced it.

The problem continued, so I thought maybe it was the starter. Replaced the starter Monday night and nope, the problem is still happening. By the way, this was a PITA!

It has no pattern to when it happens, but it does seem to happen more frequently when my wife starts it. It sounds like an electrical type noise and it always starts fine and try #2. My plugs and wires were replaced less than a year ago, and the fuel pump was replaced almost exactly 2 years ago.

The noise is kind of a click, click, click noise. I know that says a lot. Anyone else have an idea what I can check out? Maybe it's my ignition? Never had ignition issues with a vehicle so I have no idea what that would be like.

thanks!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Groups: WSB RMGA NRA RMEF BHA
Re: 2002 silverado - starting issues
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 09:10:38 AM »
So it doesn't turn over?

Single click?
Several clicks?
Do you have a test light?

Where did you get the starter?
" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline swanny

• Sourdough
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 09:19:35 AM »
It does turn over, just takes a second try is all. It' will click until you stop trying to turn it over. Test light, no. Starter came from O'Reillys

Offline Camp David

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:36:25 AM »
It's a fairly simple circuit. Ignition switch make contact (when you turn the key), A light current  goes to the solenoid (you replaced the solenoid with the starter I hope) and the solenoid closes sending full battery current/voltage to the starter. If your battery cables  to starter are good, no corrosion and good contact than I would replace the ignition switch. Are any other things not working or working intermittent? The ignition switch controls a lot of things and the contacts may be warn out.
Don't spend your last day on earth saying "I wish I would have"

Offline swanny

• Sourdough
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 09:48:51 AM »
Yep, solenoid and starter were one unit so both were replaced. All cables are in good condition.

Is it pretty straight forward to do an ignition or are special tools required?

Offline Woodchuck

• YAR Commodore
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 09:51:47 AM »
Will come with Pass lock and need programmed for your security system. Ignition switch in that truck for that reason is not very common. Think voltage drop.
BMM, elk blood in, elk blood out

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 10:25:29 AM »
Will come with Pass lock and need programmed for your security system. Ignition switch in that truck for that reason is not very common. Think voltage drop.

It doesn't sound like a pass-lock issue ignition switch to me. It's been a while since I worked in the Chevy world so I'm rusty.  You need a meter or a test light and see how much power is getting to the starter.

When it does crank over and start, does it crank at a normal speed?
Multiple clicks is usually a sign of a bad battery. You need the right tools to properly diagnose it, otherwise you're throwing parts at it which gets expensive.
" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 10:26:14 AM »
Did the new battery change the way it doesn't start at all?
The way it clicks or sounds or anything?

Offline Woodchuck

• YAR Commodore
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 10:33:14 AM »

It doesn't sound like a pass-lock issue ignition switch to me. It's been a while since I worked in the Chevy world so I'm rusty.  You need a meter or a test light and see how much power is getting to the starter.

When it does crank over and start, does it crank at a normal speed?
Multiple clicks is usually a sign of a bad battery. You need the right tools to properly diagnose it, otherwise you're throwing parts at it which gets expensive.
No I don't think that's the issue, I just know that my 02 switch is pass lock and was just saying it isn't as easy as just swapping a part. I agree with you 110%. Lack of voltage for one reason or another.  :twocents:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 10:42:36 AM »
Maybe the positive battery cable bolt is too long and is bottoming out not tightening down on the cable?
Sounds far fetched maybe but it happens on them.  Grab the positive cable and try to move it. If it moves at all the bolt is too long and bottoming out. I used to take and spin a 3/8 nut onto it, then hit it on the grinder to shave a little off of it.  There might even be a TSB.
I know this may sound crazy but try it.

Offline Woodchuck

• YAR Commodore
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 10:45:09 AM »
Good advice right there.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 10:45:41 AM »
Bulletin No.: 02-06-04-015A

Date: March 07, 2006

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Intermittent No Crank, No Start (Clean Battery Side Terminal Stripped Threads, Replace Battery Cable Bolt)

Models:
2001-2007 GM Passenger Cars and Light-Duty Trucks (Including Saturn)
2003-2007 HUMMER H2
2006-2007 HUMMER H3
2005-2007 Saab 9-7X

with Side-Mounted Battery Terminals

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to update the models and provide a new labor operation number for this repair. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Numbers 02-06-04-015 and 03-06-03-006A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on an intermittent no crank, no start condition.

Cause

This condition may be due to poor battery cable connections. Cross-threaded/stripped battery cable bolts inside the battery side post terminals may cause poor battery cable connections.

Correction

To avoid replacing the battery , do the following steps:

^ Clean the threads in the battery side post terminals using a 3/8" (# 16) NC bottom tap.

^ Replace the battery cable bolt.

The battery cable bolt is serviced separately from the cable and is available from your Parts Department. Be sure to use the correct bolt.

Offline bloodhound

• Site Ad Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 10:54:20 AM »
i would start checking and cleaning all the cables and clean grounds to the frame. temporarily add another ground and see if it turns over right away. easy way to check if its not grounding right. otherwise it seems you have replaced most of the parts and it is possible that you could have got a bad part. being battery/starter. if you check the cables and do the extra ground test and it does nothing you might think about taking the battery back to shucks and having them do a load test to check if the cranking amps are still good. i have had battery's that were new that just crapped out after a week. and if its a rebuilt stater they sometimes have problems and i have had to exchange them for another.

it may also be something completely different like your having a issue with something stealing power while its sitting and that is why it doesnt want to start as easy the first time but once you have started it and drove it for a little while then the battery gets recharged and it starts fine. in this case i would drive it to radio shack buy a cheap multi meter maybe ten bucks. drive home and shut the truck off and check your battery voltage. write it down and then wait over night and check it again in the morning and if its less you might have short some where or something that is not turning off. if you have an after market stereo with amplifiers they lead to this problem a lot.

i worked for Chevrolet for 2 years and been in the dealership world for much longer.
they call me the bloodhound cause i can track a wounded animal in the rain for 2 days when all it has is a splinter.. sniff sniff awooo

Offline bloodhound

• Site Ad Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 10:58:38 AM »
and check what antelope said!
they call me the bloodhound cause i can track a wounded animal in the rain for 2 days when all it has is a splinter.. sniff sniff awooo

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 11:01:04 AM »
and check what antelope said!

Who the hell is antelope?

:chuckle:

Offline bloodhound

• Site Ad Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 11:03:46 AM »
sorry jackalope :dunno:

Offline swanny

• Sourdough
    • Flickr
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 01:28:30 PM »
Did the new battery change the way it doesn't start at all?
The way it clicks or sounds or anything?

The new battery helped for about a week and a half. And when it does crank over, it's just normal like it always has been.

I'll check that bulletin that you posted too, thanks for finding that.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 02:24:03 PM »
That bolt will be your problem.
I'd betcha a quarter.

Offline 724wd

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 02:44:51 PM »
That bolt will be your problem.
I'd betcha a quarter.

A WHOLE QUARTER?  GEE WILIKERS, MISTER, THAT THERE'S SOME BIG MONEY!   :chuckle:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 02:46:46 PM »
I'm not a gambling man.

Offline Woodchuck

• YAR Commodore
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 02:56:23 PM »
Shoot that guy is loaded, he meant a quater million  ;)

Offline predatorpro

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 03:28:53 PM »
It's a fairly simple circuit. Ignition switch make contact (when you turn the key), A light current  goes to the solenoid (you replaced the solenoid with the starter I hope) and the solenoid closes sending full battery current/voltage to the starter. If your battery cables  to starter are good, no corrosion and good contact than I would replace the ignition switch. Are any other things not working or working intermittent? The ignition switch controls a lot of things and the contacts may be warn out.
:yeah:
 if your hearing a click your solenoid is probly working right? or just get one they only like 10 or 15$

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 03:53:50 PM »
:yeah:
 if your hearing a click your solenoid is probly working right? or just get one they only like 10 or 15$

When he got a new starter, he got a new solenoid.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 04:23:17 PM »
Hey, all you Chevy guys.... you want me to start a "Problems with my CHEVY" board or something?  :chuckle:
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Woodchuck

• YAR Commodore
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 04:25:43 PM »
Actually ICEMAN, this thread is about a single problem and nobody has the automatic answer because problems are that rare with Chevy's  :chuckle:

Quick Links

* Random Photo New

IMG 1625

Views: 77
Posted by: robodad
in: Allen

* Recent Topics

Bigfoot by T Pearce
[Today at 07:16:23 PM]

Late foothills droptine by HornHoarder
[Today at 07:15:28 PM]

30.06 Springfield or .270 win ? by RadSav