collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for hunting buddies!!!  (Read 13050 times)

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
Re: Looking for hunting buddies!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 06:35:00 AM »
Shadow Cat is right. Personally, I bet KrustyPuff is learning a ton, and since he sought this place out, I am also sure he is already very similar to many of us. When more seasoned folks share more insight like posted here, KrustyPuff and others will surely benefit.

KrustyPuff welcome.

This year, my 9 year old daughter went turkey hunting with me, got up at Odarkthirty, she howled up three Toms before light, we hunted, and pushed and pushed and pushed until noon, and finally scored a super tom, which she helped yelp into range. She was on her feet for 8 straight hours with few breaks, she shed clothes when she got warm, she whispered, she tucked herself into bushes, she wore her facemask constantly, she quieted items which started to make noise, she watched her feet, all as she walked aside and behind me for the entire hunt. She listened. She asked. She learned. She proved she will make an excellent hunting partner, all on her first trip into the woods behind a gun. My buddies son, (sorry) is noisy and wants to get back to camp. He is bored.

I do not think you can make a great hunting partner, they just happen. KrustyPuff will have to go thru a few guys or gals, until he finds partners that he accepts.

molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 08:35:41 AM »
the single best way to screen hunting partners is a early high buck hunt on foot sleeping in a betamid.....if they dig the miles of hiking and are ok with not seeing many deer and pass up little guys.....cool! If they bitch and moan I just go higher and faster. if I blow a early hunt I am far less pissed then a 10 day elk hunt coming to a halt because new guy is a puss or a whiner

Offline Choclab

• Longhunter
  • Stubby
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2007, 09:57:03 AM »
You guys were a little rough on ol KrustyPuff......You all had to start somewhere. I have had all kinds of hunting partners. Some good and some bad, life goes on. There is only one way to find out. I really don't feel the need to get into what constitutes a good hunting partner......because it works both ways guys. Being a good hunting partner also means letting a few quirks slide. Alot of you guys are gonna get nose bleeds waay up there on your pedistals. Your hunting buddy is a buddy after all. Too much high and mighty going on. So what if your new friend can't afford super spendy binocs and needs to borrow yours sometimes. I own a cheap spotting scope, I don't need something that costs as much as a new shotgun. Granted there are people that you have to weed out from your camps and what not, but there is only one way to find out. PM me with your number KrustyPuff. I usually have room for one more gun in my blind. I'll put you on some ducks and geese this Oct.
Eastsider stuck on the wetside......

Offline Jerome

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 10:13:21 AM »
Well put choclab.  I was blessed being born into a hunting family.  Some people arent that lucky, so its harder for them to get out and enjoy hunting.  Hit me with a pm Krustypuff, i have spots all over Washington.  Mainly i bear and blacktail hunt and i also love fishing the bay. 
And choclab when are you putting me in that blind? 

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »
Chocolab, my point wasn't meant to be a dollar thing, but a commitment thing. As I stated, I have alot of older gear, but I make sure it is all ready to go. I do all my shotgunning with a used shotgun I paid one hundred bucks for. And, sorry, but anyone who cannot afford atleast a quality set of binoculars, isn't helping my camp...If you set aside ten dollars a month, you can buy good binoculars in a year. If you can't even do this, maybe you should do something else...If you need my binoc's to hunt, you are negatively impacting my hunt. I do my share of charity all year, but it ends come hunting season.
molṑn labé

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Choclab

• Longhunter
  • Stubby
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2007, 01:04:20 PM »
I hear ya on the commitment. Some people refer to me as a pretty hardcore waterfowler. I have spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on gear and hours upon hours of time scouting. Some peoples ideas of "hunting" differ alot from mine. There is only one way to see if that same person has the dedication you have....take em out for a day. Day hunts are alot different than week long hunts. Day hunts will give you a taste of what to expect. You usually can get a good read on a guy from one day of chasing critters. That way you will not be miserable for a whole week. I have killed alot of big game in my day. I have been blessed to live in a good area. I am 15 minutes from deer and elk. My big game gear is weak in comparision (sp?) to my waterfowl gear. I still get it done it done though. I do see your point on gear though. I wish I had alot better optics then I do, but my passions lay else where. I look at it like this; why spend 1k on optics I will only use for a few weeks when I can spend that same 1k on some Dave Smith Decoys that I can use for 107 days? It all depends on your passions. It all boils down to finding someone with the same drive as you do. You won't know how "into" a certain game species someone is unless you take them. I usually share gear quite freely in the begining. I know it's kinda hard spending alot of cash on some sport you don't know if you will enjoy enough to justify spendy gear. I don't let people borrow me gear year in and year out. After the first season they get a taste if they like it or not and then they can go buy what they need. I say give rookies a chance to get the passion. Let them use some gear. Most guys new to a sport will have enough respect for your gear to treat it better than their own.....and for you because you are taking them out. Just my 2 cents....as I have introduced a TON og guys into the wonderful world of waterfowl.....

PS......Coondog.....PM me your number and we will hook up for some field hunts or mallard water hunts this year. I have a ton of extra gear (layouts, dekes, shotguns)...you just need to bring some warm cloths and your license...lol

Offline Jerome

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2007, 02:53:25 PM »
Sweet i have everything except for a dog. 

Offline Choclab

• Longhunter
  • Stubby
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2007, 09:29:51 PM »
I got one of those..lol. She is big and smelly at times, but she gets the job done

Offline littletoes

• Longhunter
  • old fart
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2007, 07:59:20 AM »
Guys, I started reading this thread, after first reading Krustypuff's. I came to the conclusion that ShadowCat did, about the same time. Poor guy was looking for some teaching, and possibly some more hunting experiences, when a "gripe" fest started.

Think we should send him an e-mail and try to get him back???

This board if full of Hard-Core hunters, so it seems to me. We have quite a few that think exactly alike. Myself? I learned years ago that very few hunters are as hard as me, I go in miles, stay from dark-to-dark, and enjoy it all, even though my 'ol body is screaming at me in the evening. The Problem? After years of not being able to find a hunter that was like "me", I learned to just enjoy, hell LOVE, hunting by myself. I go where I want, WHEN I want. And I think this is what we have all evolved into...who knows?
So, what I'm saying, and ShadowCat said it too, sometimes its a sacrafice to take/teach another hunter. Its a sacrafice, but worth it in the future, so we hope.

Opinions???
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 08:26:52 AM by littletoes »
"The People of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2007, 08:03:48 AM »
She is big and smelly at times, but she gets the job done
Damn...if I ever said that about myhunting buddy, she'd kick my ass. :chuckle:

Shadow Cat

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
I had sent this to him.

Hello! I am Bob, AKA Shadow Cat from the hunting Washington forums. If you are interested, we can get together and I can try to point you in the direction for some hunting and possibly do some together. Let me know. I am sorry the post that you had put up turned into a gripe fest. That was not right of us, me included and I apologize for it. We are all hard core hunters and most are set in our ways. Go back and read the post that I put up. Again, welcome to Hunting Washington.

~ Bob

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2007, 01:46:20 PM »
Shadowcat, I had tried to post this earlier today, right as I was encountering issues with posting...so i saved it...here it is:

Littletoes, an email would be a great idea. I don't think anyone intended to scare Krusypuff off, but rather share their actual thoughts and experiences.   Littletoes, I will PM you and one of us can invite Krustpuff back...

Since you have emailed Kpuff, I may wait...did you email him recently?
molṑn labé

Don't make me hurt you.

Shadow Cat

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2007, 02:04:18 PM »
Iceman,
Yes, I sent it out to him about 12:30 today. I have been wondering about him recently. Thanks for kicking me in the ass and getting me to do something about it.

Offline mkcj

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2007, 05:09:49 PM »
Krustypuff are you going to S.O.B in a couple weeks?

Offline Krustypuff

• Pilgrim
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2007, 02:34:20 AM »
 >:(
First off I'm sorry  i wasb gone so long but had harddrive problems. Second i never asked to borrow any ones gear I wasnt tring to be a nucance, i was wanting to get to know a few people maybe be able to go out locally deer hunting or maybe drive to the eastern side of the state and shoot some chucks. I was looking to meet some people who had the same idea i do go out and enjoy doing something i have only done a few times and enjoyed when i did it but do to certain problems with the peopl ei did it with i can no longer hunt with them. And growing up i was not around avid hunters. Now I am asking ona board of hunters to maybe hook up amd enjoy hunting i get treated like a PETA member. tring to take away your right to hunt and bear arms. Thank you guys!!!! And you wonder why people talk SHI_Y about hunters..... Shadow cat thank you for for apologizing... But right now i am so pissed off from reading what people had rto say i dont know if i would want to hunt with people who would feel that way, as to your axe i can under stand your centimental feelings about it and your grandfather but if the person just sees a rusty broke as_ axe  headand you dont say "Man this axe brings back memories of my Grandfather and it is all I have of him, I sure do miss the old koot!!!!" we wont know that will we? I will be sure to talk about this experince i have had ona few other boards i have joined, and am talkig to people. Cause iI sure feel the luv here.......

As for rigs and gear, I have been into shooting and gear for a while, WONt need your water i have a camel back and a water purifer i keeop in the back pack, Hmmm your camper wont nbeed that as i have use of a 24 foot moter home, or my own tent and gear. Amd i would say that my 4x4 will go places mosts wont go or dare to take them.......Might not be in best of shape for the long hike up a hill but im working on that...........
savage 110T .300 win mag
rem 700 30-06
rem 700 shrt act. .223

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX