collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: best backpack  (Read 8566 times)

Offline tlbradford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: best backpack
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2018, 01:44:44 PM »
I have an eberstock "battleship" and move mountains with it.(literally)   A lot of packs wont fit my back.  Im 6 5.   The only thing I dont like about it is its weight out of the gate, but i guess if you want heavy duty and not featherweight.....    I am looking into Stone glacier as an eventual replacement.    Its not cheap and also isnt the lightest out there I dont think.   Im not sure if its woodsie enough for me.  Ill investigate more before I spend that kind of coin.

I just listened to a podcast while on a long commute with the Stone Glacier founder.  He basically took mountaineering packs and a sewing machine, and made them into something that works with his sheep hunting and for packing meat.  He was very laid back and not a salesman, just a guy that needed a better product.  I will definitely be looking at these when my Badlands gets passed down.  Meat Eater Episode 130.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2018, 12:25:21 AM »
I have an eberstock "battleship" and move mountains with it.(literally)   A lot of packs wont fit my back.  Im 6 5.   The only thing I dont like about it is its weight out of the gate, but i guess if you want heavy duty and not featherweight.....    I am looking into Stone glacier as an eventual replacement.    Its not cheap and also isnt the lightest out there I dont think.   Im not sure if its woodsie enough for me.  Ill investigate more before I spend that kind of coin.

I just listened to a podcast while on a long commute with the Stone Glacier founder.  He basically took mountaineering packs and a sewing machine, and made them into something that works with his sheep hunting and for packing meat.  He was very laid back and not a salesman, just a guy that needed a better product.  I will definitely be looking at these when my Badlands gets passed down.  Meat Eater Episode 130.

Yea. Ive seen a few stone glaciers in action.  If i didnt buy a EXO pack then the next one i bought woulda been a stone glacier. They got a pretty slick gun strap

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2018, 06:43:38 AM »
I own a Mystery ranch and love it..its bomb proof, but a little heavy. If I ever replace it Id go with a SG pack Ive looked at them at the sheep show and they super light and very well made packs

Online Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2018, 07:07:46 AM »
^ seems like MR is losing some love on these threads last couple years.  Even seems it's been bumped out of the perceived "Big 3" which I always thought was a joke anyway.

I've never touched a Stone Glacier pack.  I've fiddled around with Exo packs and can't imagine I'd take one before a MR Marshall or most bags that fit a Kifaru frame.

For the budget and some shopping, you could get just about anything for a great deal.  Folks that really geek out on packs are always buying and selling.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2018, 07:11:27 AM »
^ seems like MR is losing some love on these threads last couple years. 

For the budget and some shopping, you could get just about anything for a great deal.  Folks that really geek out on packs are always buying and selling.

Both good points.

I believe Mystery Ranch makes an appearance on Camofire every now and then.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]