collapse
Double U Hunting Supply Visit R&R Calls

Author Topic: notes from field  (Read 9831 times)

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: notes from field
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2008, 07:13:39 PM »
It is actually Killbilly's, but I like it ok. I think we needed a better .410 load, but it worked on the grouse.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2008, 08:39:04 PM »
I went out after work to do a little shooting. Shot a couple tight groups, spooked a couple deer and then went for a drive and this owl landed in front of the truck.

After a few pics a couple more owls flew in and this one took off like a scalded cat. Here is one of the two that flew in.

I set up the e-caller and they flew right over the top.
I took a ton of pics but due to lighting, lack of tripod, and a slight wind, I didn't get any that turned out worth a darn. But it was pretty cool to watch these two defend their territory.

Offline DeKuma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2008, 10:46:19 AM »
They look like great pics to me.  What sound were you using to bring them in?
- Scott

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2008, 04:22:45 PM »
They were already in sight, but I used a vole squeak and a squirrel sound to pull them in close.

Offline DeKuma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2008, 08:11:12 AM »
Can't wait until I get my deer and bear and then focus on coyotes and hunting with the wife's camera.  I would love to get shots like that.
- Scott

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2008, 07:48:21 PM »
It has been a long and busy week. With work and all the killing and butchering of my wifes deer and my bear I have not had much time to really chase the BT's. Maybe if it rains I will get a chance.

Killbilly and I went out for half a day today but only came home with some mushrooms. We found a few shaggy manes and some chanterelles. I brought them into the house and the shaggys started to go bad real fast, but I was able to use most of them in some hashbrowns that I made for dinner. The chanterelles will go good with fresh bear tenderloin later in the week. :drool:

Michelle and I spent most of last night canning bear meat. It is a long process, especially when you add the whole butchering and taking pictures. We did 32 pints and 18 half pints that I will share with her, Killbilly and my brother. Normally I am stingy with canned meat, but I still have a whole bear from September that I will thaw and can.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2008, 03:31:23 PM »
Went out for a couple hours this morning and only saw 4 does. Did pick some better shaggymanes though. When will it rain? Hopefully soon.