Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Backcountry Hunting / Re: Eberlestock pack
« Last post by jdb on Today at 05:42:51 PM »
I had a x2 and I loved it. Very very comfy. I'd say it was the perfect day pack. I mean I really really love bed that pack but it was just a little too small for packing heavy loads of meat. So I gave it to my son and bought a kuiu, I do not love  the kuiu. It does carry heavy loads like a champ. But for $500 bucks I thought it'd be more comfortable. If I had it to do over I'd likely get a team elk pack
Photo & Video / Re: New Camera Bag?
« Last post by nalley112 on Today at 05:26:13 PM »
i recommend the Miggo sling bag 60.. i use it and spend a lot of time on the water with my camera gear on kayaks and it has yet to fail me..
Why does it have to be spring bear? Fall bear kill fawns and calves.... The next spring?  Coyotes kill a lot of deer in my area. Seen it many times. As for cougar I see several every year. I see cat sign on every ground I hunt and trap. If half the folks out there turned their focus the predators for a year or so I think you would be surprised how many hit the dirt.  We can make excuses all we want but how many of use are actually out there controlling predators? Or even making an effort.
Shed Hunting / Re: I suck at shed hunting
« Last post by Watimberghost on Today at 05:19:06 PM »
Take a screen shot of your pics and they should be good to go with sizing
Elk Hunting / Re: White River muzzleloader bull elk
« Last post by W_Ellison2011 on Today at 04:56:00 PM »
No elk left in white river unit... not worth you putting in for...
I won't stop hunting wa because I can't afford to hunt out of state. But I have stopped buying elk tags. Bear and cougar and coyote is my main focus and I may not hunt deer this year either.  But I will not stop hunting predators in WA.  If more hunters spent the time they spend on deer and elk on cougar and bear we might be able to make a change. Remember cougar quotas only count in the late season.
I belive that in some way this is where we need to make a push. Largely because it is the within our control. Granted there are issues relating to cougar quotas and not enough spring bear seasons, but there are huge areas that don't come anywhere near the harvest caps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

dosent matter how many cougar are killed in any gmu until late season starts.  If more folks actually stopped hunting deer and elk and focused solely on predators we could deff make a difference!  No one wants to hear it but it's true.  Give our deer and elk a year off and get after those predators folks.  You can sit and complain all you want but it's one way we can make a difference, we don't have the numbers to be heard in a state full of anti hunters. But we do have the numbers to control bear and cats and k9's if we put some effort into doing so.

I'm all for it, but the fact remains that without Hounds any serious reduction in the lion population isn't likely.  Same goes for OTC Spring bear.  And of course we can't do anything about wolves in WA. 

In other news wouldn't it be terrible if hunters all started carrying a pound of Xylitol and dumping it on their gut piles!  It's extremely toxic to all canines; and perfectly safe for Humans, bears, etc...  I mention this, because if someone didn't know that it's toxic they may sweeten their gut-pile and not realize that if a wolf or coyote eats it he'll die!  :yike:
Elk Hunting / Re: White River muzzleloader bull elk
« Last post by Russ McDonald on Today at 04:45:47 PM »
Make sure to research the fire closure area that is currently scheduled to last thru 2018.
Where are you getting this info? 

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I won't stop hunting wa because I can't afford to hunt out of state. But I have stopped buying elk tags. Bear and cougar and coyote is my main focus and I may not hunt deer this year either.  But I will not stop hunting predators in WA.  If more hunters spent the time they spend on deer and elk on cougar and bear we might be able to make a change. Remember cougar quotas only count in the late season.
I belive that in some way this is where we need to make a push. Largely because it is the within our control. Granted there are issues relating to cougar quotas and not enough spring bear seasons, but there are huge areas that don't come anywhere near the harvest caps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

dosent matter how many cougar are killed in any gmu until late season starts.  If more folks actually stopped hunting deer and elk and focused solely on predators we could deff make a difference!  No one wants to hear it but it's true.  Give our deer and elk a year off and get after those predators folks.  You can sit and complain all you want but it's one way we can make a difference, we don't have the numbers to be heard in a state full of anti hunters. But we do have the numbers to control bear and cats and k9's if we put some effort into doing so.
Backcountry Hunting / Re: Eberlestock pack
« Last post by Nmesub on Today at 04:24:19 PM »
Not sure about the exact pack you're wanting but i own the gunslinger 2 eberlestock and its too heavy for a hunting pack. It weighs 10lbs, not kidding. Its built like a tank though. I own two kuiu packs and they are great. Light weight and seem pretty tough. Seen lots of abuse and still going strong.
Other Big Game / Re: A few thoughts on mountain goat permits
« Last post by PlateauNDN on Today at 04:20:57 PM »
I can actually related pretty well from my antelope hunting experience. A young buck antelope and a female antelope can both have horns of very similar size. The only was to visually distinguish them is that the bucks have a black cheek patch, and females don't. However, when you're looking at one straight one (which is typical) at 300 to 400 yards (which is typical) it can become extremely difficult because you can't even see the cheek much of the time. Factor in that the critters are about to take off at 50 mph and you need to "shoot now" or forget it. I have more times than I care to admit been pleased to see a set of balls (or vice versa depending on the license) when I got to the animal.

:yeah: I got within couple hundred yards and at that range they all look the same.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10