collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cle Elum Owens meats  (Read 65293 times)

Offline 206

• Cray206
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Cle Elum Owens meats
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 06:08:36 PM »
I haven't called.  Since I'm heading over east in a couple weeks and always stop there to-and-from I will ask them in person.

I'll post up the answer then.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 06:25:33 PM »
Owens are a bunch of crooks. They should be shut down and ran out of town.  It may be a little better around there since they got rid of Ray but I refuse to take any game to them.  Had a friend drop a pig of to them a couple of years back.  He ended up walking into the store and saw the best looking loins he had ever seen in there.  Got his meat home and his loins were in the retail store being sold. He ended up with some other hog.  :bash:.  There are lots of stories just like this one but you get the idea!
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 06:30:53 PM »
Owens are a bunch of crooks. They should be shut down and ran out of town.  It may be a little better around there since they got rid of Ray but I refuse to take any game to them.  Had a friend drop a pig of to them a couple of years back.  He ended up walking into the store and saw the best looking loins he had ever seen in there.  Got his meat home and his loins were in the retail store being sold. He ended up with some other hog.  :bash:.  There are lots of stories just like this one but you get the idea!
that's kinda hard to prove ain't it?  Im not much of a fan of Owens myself but how do you know they sold his meat?

Offline HHPro

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2012, 07:05:08 PM »
I could go on for days the things some of the employees did but I said it before I wont air dirty laundry and these things came from the mouth of an employee to me personally.There are a lot of bad stories coming from there I personally never have or will take game animals there as far as steaks and ribs there great but for pepperoni and jerky Careks hands down is my choice.

Offline ellensburgpo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, NWTF
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2012, 07:13:15 PM »
I've taken items to them in the past and don't any longer. Always polite, always timely, priced ok. Love their pork and beef products. I just always got the feeling they were " batching" game meat. I would take in a whitetail from the poluse, but get some of the gamiest tasting steaks back. When I can taste sage in meat from an animal that had no sage within 30 miles of it seems strange. A buddy cut my deer up last year and I've encountered none of the taste issues. Frustrating to make a ton of effort on care of the meat only to have it seem like it was mixed with other peoples unknown meat.

Careks is a real good choice as well.
KCCO

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.
Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms, 1929

Offline xXLojackXx

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2012, 10:19:43 PM »
my hunting camp has taken several animals to Owens and never have had a bad experience. Nor have i had to question how much meat i got back. You cant expect a 90% weight return of what you take in, especially the people who dont de-bone their game. And as said before, Owens will beat any butchers out there with their meats and jerky. Their marinated chicken breats are some of the best too.

Offline ellensburgpo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, NWTF
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2012, 11:10:09 PM »
To follow up I've never had an issue with the amount of meat I've gotten back from them.
KCCO

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.
Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms, 1929

Offline Deep Forks

• YAR Prospect
  • Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2012, 02:26:26 AM »
I like Owens for my grandpa's sausage and slab bacon.  Our elk, deer and bear are processed at our meat locker and it always turns out fantastic.  We like to know what we're eating.  Deer and elk cube steak are awesome.:tup:       

Offline 206

• Cray206
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2012, 02:43:28 PM »
You cant expect a 90% weight return of what you take in, especially the people who dont de-bone their game. .

So bones and trimmings make up Only 10 percent?  Sheesh, I'm confused....

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2012, 06:43:40 PM »
that's kinda hard to prove ain't it?  Im not much of a fan of Owens myself but how do you know they sold his meat?
Long time family from the area told me the story.  I have also heard of someone dropping off an elk and one of rays buddies was standing there.  The guy who dropped the elk off left.  Ray cut out a chunk of backstrap and handed it to his buddy.  Local talk or gossip what ever you call it. None the less came from a reliable source.
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline dblungshot

• Tracker
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2012, 11:39:44 AM »
I called Owens today and asked if they will hang wildgame for a cooling fee (not for owens to process) or per day fee and they said "they only hang what they process".  I'd like to know if anyone around there will hang/cool wildgame for a fee if someone finds out. 

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2012, 11:55:10 AM »
I called Owens today and asked if they will hang wildgame for a cooling fee (not for owens to process) or per day fee and they said "they only hang what they process".  I'd like to know if anyone around there will hang/cool wildgame for a fee if someone finds out.

Call Robbers Roost in Ellensburg. Ask how to get ahold of Steve. He processes wild game during the season in their shop and is hands down the best anywhere around. Doesn't mix meat and is the nicest most honest guy you'll ever meet. You can also find him at Super 1 meat dept as full time job.

He is the only person I will ever trust with my game again beside when I do it myself. His pepperoni is the best in Kittitas Co. Have him do a batch of duck for you sometime too. If you aren't convinced he's the best I'd pay your butcher fee myself.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline 206

• Cray206
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2012, 03:44:28 PM »
I can't believe not many butchers allow "hang only" anymore. (well maybe I can, but they suck) There's a place off Stratford road outa Moses that I called a few years ago and they wanted $25 per day if I remember correctly.  Outrageous

Green Vally meats in Auburn hung my deer a couple years ago for $25 for the whole week.  I thought that was a rip back then.

Offline Backstraps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • eburg dan
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2012, 06:30:51 PM »

Call Robbers Roost in Ellensburg. Ask how to get ahold of Steve. He processes wild game during the season in their shop and is hands down the best anywhere around. Doesn't mix meat and is the nicest most honest guy you'll ever meet. You can also find him at Super 1 meat dept as full time job.

He is the only person I will ever trust with my game again beside when I do it myself. His pepperoni is the best in Kittitas Co. Have him do a batch of duck for you sometime too. If you aren't convinced he's the best I'd pay your butcher fee myself.
:yeah: Hey Happy! My brother Steve bought Robbers Roost a few months ago, not sure if he is taking in wild game this year other than family and friends[which keeps him busy  :chuckle:]. 206, I may have a cooler you could use ( Ellensburg area) if it's not full of critters! A bottle of Pendleton is usually what we ask!
Book'em Dano

Offline trophyelk6x6

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2012, 06:46:47 PM »
Ok, seriously do you know for sure what you drop off is yours when you pick it up ? I have had prime meat done in sausage, jerky, pep etc and dropped of a 7 yr old sage muley. The final product is the same. Was it my meat? Trust me, if you drop off a moose do you think those guys dont take a prime steak for them or their family? I dont know but?? I use a local brewery/sausage making company that is very particular what they take in. It must be in good shape, bone free, and vacume packed. I bone out my meat and vacume seal it in 30lb bags. Then in the OFF SEASON take my meat in to be done how I want it. A full-time butcher shop can get crazy certain times of the year. Especially during hunting season. Their mistakes are not on purpose but they happen. In todays world with cabelas offering so much in processing gear why wouldnt you do it your self. We do so much research when we hunt but then we don't care about the final product of processing our game? When in doubt do some of it yourself. As for getting a cooler during archery, I agree you have to find a meat locker to hang. Most good hunting spots are somewhat close to farmers and they all have a cooler. A 50 or C note would probably take care of it. Just my two cents or  :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]