collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cle Elum Owens meats  (Read 65303 times)

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Cle Elum Owens meats
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2012, 08:54:58 AM »
I cut my own wild game, it is just my beef and hog I don't want to do.  I want my ribeyes to look right, not just taste right.  I also like some bone-in cuts and don't want to buy a saw just for that.   

I would like to butcher my beef and hog.  It sure would save a lot of money.  I guess I am just too intimidated and afraid that I wouldn't get it right.  The different cuts of steak would be the ones that bugger me up.  I am sure that I would "waste" (grind into burger) way too much good stuff.

If you're cutting it up yourself, and you screw it up, then you can fire yourself and give yourself a full refund.

Don't overthink meat cutting.  Get a sharp knife and go for it. :tup:

Offline benbo30

• Sourdough
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2012, 11:36:20 PM »
being recently moved to ellensburg , i dont think ill do business with them , to many bad reviews that i read , i cant just drop my game off and think about all these reviews and not know what im getting back. social media is a good thing in my opinion to get the word out for the bad and good

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2012, 01:01:21 AM »
I have always butchered my own game.  I do the steaks, roasts, stew meat, stir fry, burger, sausage.  If I do salami or peper sticks that require a smoker BTKR's help me out with that since I don't have a smoker. . . . yet.

I seriously get a kick out of the people that freak out over seeing a deer being brought to the butcher with hide on it.  Then I have to remind myself that the majority of you have never hunted in the South (GA, FL, AL, etc). 

The majority of the hunters down there don't skin or gut there own animals.  They sit in a tree and kill a deer, drive up to it and load it up, then take it to a Processor.  They have butcher shops that are closed all year except for about 4 months out of the year.  All these guys do is butcher deer and what wild hogs might come in during that time.  The processor does all the skinning and gutting.  So basically you bring in a whole deer and in a week you get a box of meat back. 

I spent 4 years in GA when I was going to college working at one.  I was the one that skinned, gutted, and hung them in a cooler, and we didn't have a rail system into the cooler.  When they were ready to go to the cooler we put our thumbs in the H-Bone, put one ham on our shoulder, carried the deer the 30 feet into the cooler and lifted them on a hook to hang.  By the time I left after my 4th year I could skin, gut, cut the head and front legs off in under 5 minutes if I wasn't caping.  It was not uncommon on a Saturday Morning to skin 40 Deer and than do another 40 in the evening.  There were a few weekends that the 3 of us would hang over 200 deer.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2012, 02:09:53 AM »
I noticed that when I was in Alabama a couple of years ago.  I shot my buck, gutted it out and my cousins told me that they normally leave the guts in until they get to our other cousin's butcher shop where it is all taken care of there.  It is cleaner, easier and you don't have a gut pile stinking up your spot and it is only a 5 minute drive.  They can shoot 3 deer per day in that county so they like their hunting spots clean.   :chuckle:

Offline 206

• Cray206
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2012, 06:23:32 AM »

Meat Processor's charging $20-$25 a day to hang an animal that they are not doing the processing on seams fair to me.  I do not consider it a rip off at all.

Meat Processors are there to make $$ and provide a specific service to there customers.  They have utilities and employees to pay.  They are there to process meat.  Lets say they have a cooler that will fit 20 Elk or 40 Deer, they charge .50 per pound to process, and that a Deer Hanging is 150lbs and an Elk is 350lbs.

They are making $75 per Deer and $175 per Elk.  So if they butcher all 20 Elk thats only $3500.  If they do all the deer it's only $3000.  That is if they are not doing any sausage or anything special.

If they were to hang a deer for 7 days that they are not doing the processing on it is taking up a spot in there cooler.  If they were charging $5 a day that is only $35.  When they could possibly have had 2 deer in that spot over the course of that 7 days and make $150.

My cow is now in Basin Meats cooler in Moses Lake.  $20 total cost for as long as I want it hung. 

I wish I knew of a butcher that only charged a couple quarters a pound.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]