collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW Announcement : Help shape future hunting seasons at seven meetings  (Read 11756 times)

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
http://wdfw.wa.gov/do/newreal/release.php?id=aug1308a

Help shape future hunting seasons at seven meetings around the state

OLYMPIA – Hunters and other members of the public will have an opportunity to help shape future hunting seasons at a series of public “open house” meetings planned by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) over the next few weeks.

Those meetings, scheduled in seven cities from Bellingham to Spokane Valley, are an important part of the process in developing hunting seasons and associated hunting regulations for 2009-11, said Dave Ware, WDFW game manager.

“We want to hear what people think about proposals currently under consideration, as well as others they may have to offer,” Ware said. “The “open house” format of these meetings will allow participants to speak directly to wildlife managers about the issues of greatest concern to them.”

WDFW will consider comments received at the meetings in developing a final set of recommendations for 2009-11 hunting seasons for adoption by the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission, he said.

The seven meetings are scheduled to run from 7-9 p.m. on the following dates in these cities:

Bellingham – Aug. 25, Broadway Hall, 1300 Broadway
Aberdeen – Aug. 26, Log Pavilion at Morrison Riverfront Park, 1401 Sargent Blvd.
Tacoma – Aug. 27, Landmark Convention Center, 47 Saint Helens Ave.
Vancouver, Wash. – Aug. 28, Water Resources Education Center, 4600 SE Columbia Way
Wenatchee – Sept. 2, Confluence Technology Center, 285 Technology Center Way
Spokane Valley – Sept. 3, Mirabeau Park Hotel & Convention Center, North 1100 Sullivan Rd.
Pasco – Sept. 4, TRAC Center, 6600 Burden Blvd.
All seven of the meetings will focus on local hunting issues as well as statewide issues, such as non-toxic shot restrictions, shooting hours, muzzleloader seasons and possible changes to permit drawings. Many of those issues were included in an online opinion survey conducted through mid-July by WDFW to gauge public interest in various alternatives, Ware said.

“Results of the online survey were used to shape the various alternatives that will be available for comment at the upcoming meetings,” Ware said. “We want everyone interested in future hunting seasons to have an opportunity to comment before we move forward with any proposals.”

Additional information on the process for developing hunting seasons for 2009-11 is posted on WDFW’s website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/seasonsetting/index.htm.

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
Re: WDFW Announcement : Help shape future hunting seasons at seven meetings
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 06:04:54 PM »
Well, just for the sake of starting a discussion, how about we:

a) Bag the 3-point restriction on mule deer bucks and extend the season another full week or just move it back two weeks? It is no doubt responsible for a lot of shot 2-pointers left in the woods by people who made a mistake, and that's a bigger hurt on the herd than opening up the opportunity. Biologically, bucks are excess baggage after the rut. Why not save more pregnant does and give hunters a genuine late season opportunity?

b) End the spike-only restriction on eastside elk and run that season another full week, and move it back a week? We're talking about more opportunity, and since elk hunter numbers appear to be down from 10-15 years ago, and the elk herds appear to be healthy, why not?  Biologically, bulls are excess baggage after the rut and as the winter comes on. Let's enjoy some genuine elk hunting opportunity.

c) Restore the northeast whitetail buck season to what it was when I was over at F&H News?  It ran for six full weeks and included seven full weekends. 

d) Restore game cops to the status of "Wildlife Agents" or "Game Wardens" and abolish this notion of "Fish and Wildlife POLICE."  These guys are fish and game cops, not DEA, not traffic cops.

Now, these are issues that have come to my attention the past couple of years from people who are devoted hunters, and who are convinced that they, and the rest of us, have been disenfranchised by the WDFW, which they painfully refer to as the "Department of NO Fish and NO Wildlife."

This ought to start the juices flowing.  ;)
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 06:42:44 PM »
I think they should remove the restrictions on carrying a handgun while bow hunting. With the meth heads and organized drug cartels growing marijuana out there I believe that people are currently discourged (or otherwise majorly inconvenienced) from carrying to defend themselves in light of the regulation.

I don't have any problem with Game Cops. It's just a name to me.

It sure would be nice to be able to change my tag on a deer if I did not win a draw too.  I should be able to change that up to September 1st.

I don't believe in the non toxic shooting restrictions for rifles and pistols. However I do shoot copper and lead.

I would like to make sure the start of the fall W WA Bear season doesn't get changed in light of the recent incident on Sauk Mountain.

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 12:03:15 AM »
I myself, am fine with the handgun restriction during bow season. Leave it as it is.

Also, I believe the last weekend of early elk archery should be open to cows for all westside units.

Keep ML rules as they are, but open up more units for the late season.

Allow during deer archery season the use of expandable/retractable broadheads. For deer only.

For spring bear, a few non permit units should be opened.
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 01:21:38 PM »
new survey on line as well.

Offline BC CHASER

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Si vis pacem para bellum
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 01:31:27 PM »
I think we should definatly be able to carry a pistol during archery.  I know we dont have a grizzly problem like other states but we do have a wacko and meth problem.  And we all know there are some a$$#ole hunters out there that will steal you game and do carry.  I am not going to try to shoot a deer at 40 yards with my s&w 40.
WA.MT.UT.AZ.KS.NM.CO.AK.NZ.
Lion Pride founding member

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 01:34:35 PM »
I think we should definatly be able to carry a pistol during archery.  I know we dont have a grizzly problem like other states but we do have a wacko and meth problem.  And we all know there are some a$$#ole hunters out there that will steal you game and do carry.  I am not going to try to shoot a deer at 40 yards with my s&w 40.

You may not try to shoot a deer with a handgun while archery hunting, but there are guys that will. I do agree with being able to carry while archery hunting if licensed to conceal.

Offline hunterbuilder

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 01:42:40 PM »
I agree that we should be able to change weapons of deer/elk tags if you don't draw your special permit. Even charge a small fee if you have to for processing and printing the new tag. I also agree that you should be allowed to carry a handgun during archery season. I would back up the proposal even if it only applied to concealed permit holders.

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 09:46:30 AM »
I agree that we should be able to change weapons of deer/elk tags if you don't draw your special permit.
That is actually distinctly different from my suggestion. I only would like to see change on the deer because it is a statewide tag.

Offline Timberlineduke

• Tracker
  • "Failing to plan, is planning to fail"
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 12:13:20 PM »
How about giving us back the late deer hunt for modern firearms in November......I mean all the same units that are open during the general season.....statewide!

Offline Bscman

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 12:01:53 PM »
You may not try to shoot a deer with a handgun while archery hunting, but there are guys that will. I do agree with being able to carry while archery hunting if licensed to conceal.

100% in agreement with this.
Too many grow operation, meth labs, and "unstable" hermits out there...not to mention car theifs/prowlers you may come back to find at your rig or big, hungry cats during the late hunt...

I don't think it's right that Washington's hunting laws keep us from being able to excersize our right to self defense simply because we choose to carry a bow with us...
All the while these same laws permit those who are hiking, hunting, fishing, camping, and/or horseback riding to carry a sidearm for any reason at all--simply because they are outdoors.

So simply because I'm an archery hunter I'm not allowed to carry protection?...but any other joe-blow in the woods can? Even if they aren't hunting? ...And any rifle hunter can carry as many weapons they want while they are hunting?

To add to this, I can understand the opinion of many who believe seeing archery hunters with exposed side-arms will "ruin" the sport or appearance of archery hunting in general...a concealed carry permit clause will satisfy BOTH parties, IMHO.

Allowing archery hunters to carry concealed will not increase poaching to any degree.
Those who poach don't care about seasons, appropriate weapons, or laws as-is. The smart poachers (if there is such a thing) realize pistols and rifles are too loud to discreetly poach, anyway...so they will use a bow.

To think that thousands of archery hunters LIVES and RIGHTS to self-protection is less important than the (unlikely) possiblity of a small increase in poaching is assinine.

-----ALSO-----

I'd like to see a change in the rules for legal weapons for cougar hunting.

As an archery hunter for both deer and cougar, I am required to hunt cougar with archery gear during an open archery deer season....so for all of september, then from thanksgiving to the end of the year I cannot hunt cougar with a rifle--whether I am deer hunting or not!

It's difficult enough to have a successful cougar hunt without dogs, but being forced to use a bow as well? Nearly impossible for a guy like me!

I understand the laws regarding carrying a rifle while archery hunting (illegal!)...they make sense. However, I can't understand why I can't hunt cougar with a modern firearm when I am NOT deer hunting, or after my deer tag has been filled.

If I get my deer Sept. 1, I still cannot hunt cougar with a rifle for half of the season--for absolutely no reason!
However, I can hunt bear with a rifle, or go grouse hunting with a rifle/shotgun, or hunt rabbits or bobcat with a rifle... it's only illegal to hunt cougar with a rifle during an open archery season, simply because I bought an archery deer tag. Pathetic!

I do not agree with this rule, and it needs to be changed!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 12:13:10 PM by Bscman »
I left it better than I found it...did you?
I hunt animals because veggies are too easy to stalk.

Offline BC CHASER

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Si vis pacem para bellum
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 12:21:41 PM »
Yeah that is BS about the equipment deal.  I was going to say you are reading it wrong but I just read it and it says just that.
WA.MT.UT.AZ.KS.NM.CO.AK.NZ.
Lion Pride founding member

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 02:01:59 PM »
It should make absolutely NO difference to YOU on YOUR hunt if I carry a sidearm on my hunt.  If YOU don't want to carry, YOU  are not required to carry.  YOU should not be allowed to tell ME, I cannot carry a sidearm for my protection, whether it be against two legged critters or four legged critters.  If someone is going to violate game laws then they are already going to do it now.  Just because you holster a sidearm does not suddenly transform honest hunters into slobs.  There already folks in the woods during archery season carrying firearms legally, bear hunters, coyote hunters, grouse hunters etc.. so the, I will hear shots in the distance argument, doesn't fly either.  In 14 years of bowhunting in this state I think I have seen less then 10 other archers in the woods, if one had a sidearm strapped to his side, it wouldn't have made a single bit of difference to ME one way or the other.  A sidearm is nothing more then one more piece of survival gear.  You shouldn't head out without matches, water purification, knife, etc.. and you should have the OPTION of carrying a sidearm.  Saying bowhunters should not be allowed to carry a sidearm is no different then saying handguns should be banned in D.C. or you can keep them in your house unloaded, same metality IMO. Give me one Legit reason why it is legal for me to carry a sidearm in Idaho, but not here in WA?  One legit reason please.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Bscman

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 02:31:00 PM »
Yeah that is BS about the equipment deal.  I was going to say you are reading it wrong but I just read it and it says just that.

Worth noting it's only in certain counties/GMU's as well...
but B.S. none-the-less.

While I'm back and responding...
It'd be nice to see the Centerfire/Rimfire ban dropped in GMU 407 west of I-5.
The only reason I say this is because my *future* inlaws own a couple hundred acres on Fir Island that is littered with 'yotes and rabbits. It'd be nice to be able to use the newer frangible 17HMR and 22WMR rounds for these critters...it's tough getting some of these dogs within shotgun/bow distance.
The reduced risk of ricochet with these rounds, and the very low level of terminal enegery is every bit as safe as hevi-shot "dead-coyote" IMHO.
I left it better than I found it...did you?
I hunt animals because veggies are too easy to stalk.

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 03:57:52 PM »
It should make absolutely NO difference to YOU on YOUR hunt if I carry a sidearm on my hunt.  If YOU don't want to carry, YOU  are not required to carry.  YOU should not be allowed to tell ME, I cannot carry a sidearm for my protection, whether it be against two legged critters or four legged critters.  If someone is going to violate game laws then they are already going to do it now.  Just because you holster a sidearm does not suddenly transform honest hunters into slobs.  There already folks in the woods during archery season carrying firearms legally, bear hunters, coyote hunters, grouse hunters etc.. so the, I will hear shots in the distance argument, doesn't fly either.  In 14 years of bowhunting in this state I think I have seen less then 10 other archers in the woods, if one had a sidearm strapped to his side, it wouldn't have made a single bit of difference to ME one way or the other.  A sidearm is nothing more then one more piece of survival gear.  You shouldn't head out without matches, water purification, knife, etc.. and you should have the OPTION of carrying a sidearm.  Saying bowhunters should not be allowed to carry a sidearm is no different then saying handguns should be banned in D.C. or you can keep them in your house unloaded, same metality IMO. Give me one Legit reason why it is legal for me to carry a sidearm in Idaho, but not here in WA?  One legit reason please.

:yeah:

Couldn't agree with you more

Offline rjm5

• Tracker
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 06:08:39 PM »
a) Bag the 3-point restriction on mule deer bucks and extend the season another full week or just move it back two weeks? It is no doubt responsible for a lot of shot 2-pointers left in the woods by people who made a mistake, and that's a bigger hurt on the herd than opening up the opportunity. Biologically, bucks are excess baggage after the rut. Why not save more pregnant does and give hunters a genuine late season opportunity?

b) End the spike-only restriction on eastside elk and run that season another full week, and move it back a week? We're talking about more opportunity, and since elk hunter numbers appear to be down from 10-15 years ago, and the elk herds appear to be healthy, why not?  Biologically, bulls are excess baggage after the rut and as the winter comes on. Let's enjoy some genuine elk hunting opportunity.

I gotta say I don't agree with this at all. This state needs to start managing for quality instead of quantity. The three point minimum should be kept to give the little bucks a fighting chance. The spike restriction should stay so we still have premium tags on the eastside. If you take the spike restriction away the special permit hunts are not going to be nearly as good. In the good units on east side you have decent shot a 300+ bull. I would like to see all mule deer hunts become a draw like colorado to increase draw odds for everyone and is the only way to effectively manage the mule deer herds for quality.

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 06:33:45 PM »
I think they should dump the spike only in Ea Wa. This is long overdue.

They should open open up any mule deer buck for youth and 65 over to weed out the lesser buck genes. Too many mature 2 points and small rack deer in certain areas of the state.

Offline rjm5

• Tracker
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 06:53:08 PM »
Not really sure why you would want to get rid of the spike only restriction because its going to ruin the special hunts and after a few years most of the areas are going to be hunted out.

Offline Jerbear

• Sourdough
  • Y.A.R. MEMBER
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 07:52:46 PM »
Dave, you are right, but it ain't going to happen.  I went to one of their meetings on Aug. 7 at White Salmon.  They had stated in their announcement that they were exploring more time for muzzle loaders.  Well I started talking to a couple of them about some of the suggestions made here, and they avoided me like an ugly stepchild.  They wanted to talk about extending muzzle loading season and that was that.  I argued about longer seasons and several other things, but it was not what they wanted to hear and that was that.  I left. >:(

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 06:56:41 AM »
I gotta say I don't agree with this at all. This state needs to start managing for quality instead of quantity. The three point minimum should be kept to give the little bucks a fighting chance. The spike restriction should stay so we still have premium tags on the eastside. If you take the spike restriction away the special permit hunts are not going to be nearly as good. In the good units on east side you have decent shot a 300+ bull. I would like to see all mule deer hunts become a draw like colorado to increase draw odds for everyone and is the only way to effectively manage the mule deer herds for quality.

rjm:
Let me see if I understand this:
You are arguing that Washington mule deer hunting should become solely a trophy-type hunt? Is that right?
You are suggesting that eastside bull elk hunting should become solely a trophy-type hunt as well? Is that right?

What does this accomplish for a "meat hunter?"
Honestly, the overwhelming majority of hunters I encounter don't give a rat's patoot about how may points a bull scores.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 07:17:21 AM »
Dave you couldn't be more right. I am personally tired of antler size being the sole focus of the younger generation of hunters. Now don't get me wrong. I love big bucks and have taken some, but I do take great pleasure in taking a animal that is mature that does not have to be a 170 class buck (Kind of the Larry Weishun philosophy) My family loves venison as do I, so when the late season comes around I'm less picky about the size of the animal antlers so I can provide meat for my family, do I need it No,  I make a very very good salary, do I like, yes. It's the experience that should judge a succesful hunt, not the antler size. I have had some of the best hunts where I did not harvest a animal.

Enjoy the experience without placing the success of your hunt on the antler size of the animal Just my  :twocents:

Offline rjm5

• Tracker
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 08:56:38 AM »
Think about what you just said, if you don't care about how many points a bull has than you should have no problem with the spike restriction cause your just hunting an animal for meat. If you want to hunt a branch bull you can always hunt the westside. I agree about the experience of the hunt I don't have to shoot an animal to enjoy it. All I'm saying is if all mule deer hunts were a draw like colorado it would create better odds for special permits and the herd could managed more effectively. If someone wants to kill a meat buck they can always shoot a whitetail or blacktail. If there just meat hunters they could put in for doe tags too. Its kind of funny that you can drive through most units in Colorado and see 190 bucks in the fields because they have successfully managed their herd. I think this would be the best way to manage our deer herd for quality instead of quantity. 

Offline jadeball1

• Tracker
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 09:04:09 AM »
How about some more opportunity for youth hunters. A any deer or any elk tag whether it be permit or not would provide excellent opportunity for young hunters to spend time in the woods with there family, friends or mentors. They should be able to have a season for them prior to opening of modern to allow them a little time without the crazyness of opening day. Any animal is a trophy to a child, give them a better chance.
What we need is more cow bell

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 09:29:25 AM »
Think about what you just said, if you don't care about how many points a bull has than you should have no problem with the spike restriction cause your just hunting an animal for meat. If you want to hunt a branch bull you can always hunt the westside. I agree about the experience of the hunt I don't have to shoot an animal to enjoy it. All I'm saying is if all mule deer hunts were a draw like colorado it would create better odds for special permits and the herd could managed more effectively. If someone wants to kill a meat buck they can always shoot a whitetail or blacktail. If there just meat hunters they could put in for doe tags too. Its kind of funny that you can drive through most units in Colorado and see 190 bucks in the fields because they have successfully managed their herd. I think this would be the best way to manage our deer herd for quality instead of quantity. 

That is not what I said. I look for the big bulls and bucks myself, as do most hunters. What I said is the focus has become way too infatuated with the "Score" than the taking of a mature animal. Most of the true hunters out there will look for a big antlered animal (myself included) but I will take a mature animal any day if a shot presents itself. All the hunting shows (esp those based in Texas) have placed way too much focus on "trophy" animals in the 150-170 class as a benchmark and it truly does not represent what is available on public hunting areas in most states and creates false hope, I'm not to saying that there are none here, just that they do not represent the bulk of avail animals . If we only allow the taking of "trophy" animals the lesser mature buck/bulls will do more breeding that will further divide the gene pool. I think by taking "Mature" animals (4+ years old) it will improve the future of all the animals (size wise) Thats all

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 09:03:46 AM »
Dave you couldn't be more right.

Well, ahem, "of course I am!"  ;)

I am personally tired of antler size being the sole focus of the younger generation of hunters. Now don't get me wrong. I love big bucks and have taken some, but I do take great pleasure in taking a animal that is mature that does not have to be a 170 class buck (Kind of the Larry Weishun philosophy) My family loves venison as do I, so when the late season comes around I'm less picky about the size of the animal antlers so I can provide meat for my family, do I need it No,  I make a very very good salary, do I like, yes. It's the experience that should judge a succesful hunt, not the antler size. I have had some of the best hunts where I did not harvest a animal.

Enjoy the experience without placing the success of your hunt on the antler size of the animal Just my  :twocents:

Your two cents are worth gold anywhere.
Look the WDFW is really in the "watchable wildlife" business these days, let's be honest about that. The more animals that survive a season, including the big bulls, the better that management looks to the rubes every winter who gather to watch the animals at the feeding stations.

What these people don't see are the animals that die from starvation because the winter range couldn't sustain them and they didn't go to a feed lot.

Years ago, when I started elk hunting as a teen, it was the GAME Department and they were interested in seeing that hunters had a genuine chance to notch a tag. Elk seasons ran a couple of weeks with three full weekends and I remember we used to get out of Naches and over Chinook Pass right before snow closed the pass on the last weekend of the season.

There was occasionally a weekend with overlap deer and elk hunting so, as my uncle said, you could "shoot anything with horns" and notch a tag. The herd was healthy, pregnant does and cows had a better chance of getting through a tough winter because there would be fewer bucks and bulls competing for available feed/browse and hunters were happy.

There are more than 100,000 fewer hunters now than in those days. Yet seasons are shorter and more complicated, and that translates to opportunity lost. It also means that the shorter seasons and complicated regulations have driven people away from the sport. They're still hunting, in places like Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Colorado, but they're NOT HUNTING HERE.

In 1975, this state fielded 346,197 resident hunters and 2,604 non-resident hunters. Grand total: 348,801 hunters.

In 2,000, according to data from the US Fish & Wildlife Service, this state sold 214,969 resident hunting licenses and another 4,390 non-res licenses. Grand total: 219,359 hunters.

If we have healthy herds, and 100K fewer hunters, somebody needs to explain to me why it is that seasons are SHORTER and opportunities are curtailed by "Resource Allocation" regulations that limit people to one type of weapon for one species, even though we can legally only take one animal a year. Why not allow everybody who wants to -- and screw the requirement to apply for a permit and take one of those "master hunter" courses -- go out and hunt with a modern rifle and if not successful, pay maybe $10 for an additional archery and/or muzzleloader permit? 

This increases opportunity, provides more recreational time for hunters who provide the operating revenue for the agency that the bird watchers and tree huggers sure don't, and generally benefits the people who pay the freight for game management here.

But perhaps I preach sedition and revolution. Maybe I just remember how Tom Nelson and I, and a handful of other people who created the Sportsmen's Rights Coalition back in the 1980s put a couple of thousand angry hunters, anglers and gun owners on the capitol steps in Olympia. Twice.

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 09:11:14 AM »
I'm with ya Dave.

I would even be willing to pay the full tag amount to be able to hunt ELK or Deer in another season (ie Archery, Muzzleloader, etc) Think of the revenue the state could generate with the extra tags being purchased.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 09:30:29 AM »
Think about what you just said, if you don't care about how many points a bull has than you should have no problem with the spike restriction cause your just hunting an animal for meat.

I agree, and would also ask if you're just interested in meat why not apply for cow tags rather than hunting bulls, arguably they are better eating anyway. Why even hunt at all then, its far cheaper to go to the store and purchase beef for your family if all you are interested in is "providing meat for my family" I'm not trying to bust your chops Gobble so please dont take it that way, your posts just didn't make sense to me, sounded kinda hypocritical is all. :dunno:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 09:50:40 AM »
Think about what you just said, if you don't care about how many points a bull has than you should have no problem with the spike restriction cause your just hunting an animal for meat.

I agree, and would also ask if you're just interested in meat why not apply for cow tags rather than hunting bulls, arguably they are better eating anyway. Why even hunt at all then, its far cheaper to go to the store and purchase beef for your family if all you are interested in is "providing meat for my family" I'm not trying to bust your chops Gobble so please dont take it that way, your posts just didn't make sense to me, sounded kinda hypocritical is all. :dunno:

No offense Huntingphool, I think my comments are being taken out of context.  Like I said before I make very good money, I don't NEED the meat. We just like it, if you don't like it you shouldn't be out hunting them  :twocents:, it' kind of falls on the unethical line there  All I'm saying is I would like to see it open more for the general public to take the big animals during the general season without being forced to take a spike. Its great if your the one sitting on 10+ points for the draw I could see your facination with the special draws but what about the new guy who has none? It really stinks, put yourself in his shoes. 20 years could go by before a guy with no points gets drawn if they are just starting out, if your 40+ years old your screwed. I look for big deer/elk just like everybody else and do pretty well. I have taken all of my animals on public ground. I just think that there is becoming too many snobs that are looking down on people exercising the right to take any legal animal, I don't think anyone should be ashamed for doing so. :dunno:

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 10:05:08 AM »
I hear ya Gobble, I am 40+ and seriously thought I would die before I drew a moose tag. 13 years of apps and it didnt look good. I even started a post months ago asking if I could "will" my points to one of my kids should something happen to me, I wouldn't want the points lost but I guess that cant be done, fortunatly I drew.

The problem F&G have is there are more hunters that want quantity than there are hunters that want quality, and like verything else the squeeky wheel gets the grease. Far more of them crying about the regs than us, consiquently they manage for numbers. I have been a big proponent for the more open units going to 4 point but it has been argued that this doesnt work. I have pointed out that in other states, Montana for example, this has worked very well and are the most applied for hunts in these states. I have talked with dozens of guys that have drawn these tags and all of them siad the hunt was increadable, they said they saw loads of big bucks, bucks that would not be passed up in other areas but because of the number of large bucks they passed. Now this is deer of course not elk but you get the idea.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 11:18:29 AM »
The only problem I have for trophy elk management, is the fact that Indians can go and shoot them off the reservation and harvest an animal that was paid for by taxpayers dollars, which is something they do not contribute to.  I think this is a major issue that needs to be addressed if we are to move in that direction.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 11:52:57 AM »
The only problem I have for trophy elk management, is the fact that Indians can go and shoot them off the reservation and harvest an animal that was paid for by taxpayers dollars, which is something they do not contribute to.  I think this is a major issue that needs to be addressed if we are to move in that direction.

I think you will find that this is a product of the "secret agreements" that were signed with the tribes years ago during the Booth Gardner administration.
Nobody in the hunting community knew about the negotiations until the ink was dry. It was an outrage that sparked a hunter and angler revolt, but alas, it lost steam.

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2008, 01:46:43 PM »

My contention is that we have too many "special permits" right now, and all that does is condition hunters that they have to jump through a hoop or two, and all that does is open the door for the WDFW to create more hoops through which to jump in order to hunt mule deer or B/A elk on the eastside.

Why should hunters here have to jump through any hoops?

It might be that hunters want quantity.  That might contribute to "quality," when the definition of "quality" is coming home with a notched tag. 

The 3-point mule deer restriction has quite possibly contributed to a lot of fork-horn muley bucks being shot and left in the field. What good does that do for anyone?

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2008, 10:10:17 PM »
If there just meat hunters they could put in for doe tags too.
Done that and still don't draw.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal