collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Canned Meat.  (Read 14337 times)

Offline HawkenBob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Canned Meat.
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 11:50:33 AM »
Pope, In my Sturgy and alby reciepes I include in the jars, 3 to 5 drops liquid smoke, minced garlic, a little olive oil, and a quarted jalapeno pepper. Salt always and a sprinkle of lemon pepper. this is for pints and half pints.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me to.

Offline Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 09:54:52 PM »
never pressure cooked stuff yet, but have done a little canning doing the hot-water bath thing

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 11:57:57 PM »
Layer of salmon then a few jalpeno peppers for a thin layer then another layer of Salmon, repeat till full.  Yummy!  The only thing I don't like about using the jars is the look of meat (Especially red meat non-fish) inside them for folks that don't know better. But never wanted to buy a rim sealer for cans so stuck to jars...

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 01:26:55 AM »
 :)  I just spent the last couple days down here in Oregon at my Grandmas going over canning.  Had to do a little bit of memory refreshing.

Just spent the last 4 hours canning Peaches (10 pints) and fresh of the boat Albacore Tuna (15 pints).  I'll tell you what that is some good tune.  Some of the best I've had.  Going to make strawberry and blackberry jam tomarrow morning. 

Grandmas neighbor brought us about a gallon of home grown strawberries and I went out and picked blackberries this morning. 

Grandmas got a couple apple trees in her back yard.  Thinking of canning some apple pie filling or some home made apple sauce.  Coming home with all the good stuff!  :drool:

Went out and bought a pressure cooker while I was down here and jars.  Nice not having to pay sales taxes.  I liked the idea of canning some Bear meat if I kill a Bear.  Will probably do deer if I get one too. 

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 02:21:09 AM »
Wow, aren't you busy!!  Canning is a cool little hobby. Not alot of folks doing this anymore... I really look forward to opening up something to share with friends that I have canned. After I bake a turkey, I simmer the carcass, and then debone it, toss the meat into jars, with the broth, and some minced onion and celery, then pressure can it. Later you just cook up some noodles, and then add your turkey soup mix you already made....Yum! Works with chicken too!
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 04:28:47 AM »
Guess im one of the young ones  :rolleyes: Never have done it myself but grew up with alot of it. Grandmas and mom use to do it all the time. Dont think ive ever had meat..just fruits and veggies.

Id like to try it but am clueless. All i remember is a deep pot with a bunch of jars in it  :) I should have grandma come down and show me how its done, im sure she would love it! She doesnt really do it much anymore since she lives alone and the stuff would last the rest of her life. Man i miss her homemade jam  :(

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008, 08:02:11 PM »
I got home about 11pm last night after a 6 hour drive up from grandmas!  :o

Ended up coming home with 68 jars of canned food.

12 half pints of Blackberry Jam
8 - 8 or 6 oz jars of Blackberry Jam
12 half pints of Strawberry Jam
2  8 or 6 oz jars of Strawberry Jam
13 pints of Tuna
19 pints of peaches

While I was down their one of grandmas freinds that is really big into canning brought me 1 half pint of antelope, because I've never had it, and 1 half pint smoked salmon.

The Blackberries were picked fresh when I got down to Oregon.  We went down to the docks and bought the Tuna fresh.  Grandmas neighbor came over the day after I got their and brought me a gallon of strawberries she grew.  I bought the peaches from a store while I was down their.

Made a pretty good haul.  Can't wait til I put a tag on something this year so I can can some of that too. 

Offline robb92

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Location: Spokane Wa, Andrews AFB, Maryland and King George, VA
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 09:32:04 PM »
Now you all got me thinking of trying this with a deer this fall.
"ITS NOT WHAT THE WISE MAN SAYS BUT WHAT THE WISE MAN DOES IN HIS LIFE THAT MATTERS"

Offline mlgunkel

• Tracker
    • 153 Fish Camp
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 11:47:36 AM »
Anybody know what canning does to the nutritional value of the food?

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2008, 12:31:32 PM »
Anybody know what canning does to the nutritional value of the food?

I would imagine that it does little to devalue it. Maybe over many years it will degrade.   :dunno:

Offline big ed

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 06:43:42 PM »
AFTER READING THIS ,I NEED TO TO START DOING SOMETHING I HAVE'NT DONE IN YEARS.MAY START WITH THE GARDEN AND END WITH SALMON OR SOMETHING.CANNING A GOOD WAY TO KEEP THE PANTRY FULL OF GOOD STUFF NOT THAT GARBAGE FROM THE STORE.BESIDES THE KIDS WILL LEARN SOMETHING FROM THE PAST.  YEA I"M A YOUNGSERT TO AT 52 .
just like to fish and hunt

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2009, 08:19:29 PM »
Great big ed!  A pretty fun way to enjoy your bounty all year!
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 08:44:18 AM »
I'm 45 and have been canning meat for 20 years or better.  I can some every year.  Saves room in the freezer and tastes outstanding.  I also can just about everything from my garden.  Beans, corn, tomatoes, pickles, salsa, numerous varieties of hot peppers, pickled asparagus, etc.  Will be canning a boatload of humpies this year, both smoked and not.  I also can a lot of dungeness crab and tried Razor clams for the first time this year (way yummy, thanks ICEMAN).

I can venison 3 different ways.  The first, I add about a tablespoon of Lipton onion soup mix to a pint.  This is my personal favorite.  The second, I add about a tablespoon of taco seasoning to the pints.  Very tasty in tacos, burritos, etc.  The third, I add a pinch of oregano, basil, thyme and crushed fennel seed to the pints.  This makes an instant spaghetti-meat sauce.  All these are great. 
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw