collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Canned Meat.  (Read 14336 times)

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Canned Meat.
« on: July 22, 2007, 07:27:12 PM »
How many of you guys can meat? Of those that do, how old are you? I have never met anyone my age that does it.

Why can?.......why not? LOL

Why? It lasts longer than freezing (I have had them after 5 yrs), takes up no freezer space, is already cooked and ready to eat......etc..

How? You need a pressure canner with instructions and quart jars. Very simple actually. No, it is not like spam or chicken "stuff". Makes a "GREAT" samich on any day of the week.

Any more on our bears we only take the backstrap for roasts and the hams/hinds/front shoulders are used for canning. You will need 13 lbs of meat for 7 quarts, which is how many quart jars a good canner will hold. I start with the best cuts hams/shoulders then work my way to the neck if needed. Usually I will can about 21 quarts (3 loads) every couple years.
I have used every part of meat in the canner and it will tenderize any piece of meat, tendon or grisle. If you want to have good cuts for stews and steaks, you can use any of the "grinding" meat for canning.You can use any meat, and if frozen it still turns out great.

Consult the instructions before trying. Here is the quick version of canning,
Cut meat into one inch cubes. Pack meat into hot jars, leaving one inch head space. Add one teaspoon of salt if desired to each quart. Adjuxt lids and rings. Process pints for 75 minutes at ten pounds pressure. Quarts are processed 90 minutes at ten pounds pressure.

We store ours in a pantry, sometimes in the same boxes that the jars came in. Keep them from freezing and the sunlight and they will last for years.

What can you do with canned meat? What can't you. Here are a few of the things we do. After opening a jar we pour it into a microwave safe dish and heat it for a couple minutes. Then we shred it will a couple forks. We do not pour off the liquid, we allow the meat to re-absord it. Then we turn it into...
French dip sandwiches, hoagie sandwiches, tacos, etc.
If you want to use it in different ways you may not want to shred it. Sometimes we will leave the piece whole and make homemade soup or stew. I even just add it to commercial stews.
You can also eat it right out of the jar. I have done pints and taken them on trips, put it on the dash or near the floor heater, open and eat.

Offline high country

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Canned Meat.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 08:47:16 PM »
I am 32 and first saw canned meat at 25 when I moved to alaska, canning is pretty common there. I am with ya, canned is the way to go.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 09:25:42 PM »
I pressure can deer, elk, venison sausage, razor clams (smoked), large clams for chowder later,ham, turkey, chicken, salmon, smoked salmon, steelhead, trout, all veggies, custom items like spaghetti sauce, chili, and even cold process pickles (against the recommendations of the food and health folks...)

Billythekidrock, I am 43yrs old.

Canned meats are a great way to enjoy your bounty. Nothing is easier or more satisfying than popping the lid on some meat you have put up in your pressure canner. Absolutely love this hobby.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 04:55:36 PM »
Nothing is easier or more satisfying than popping the lid on some meat you have put up in your pressure canner

The only thing more satisfying to me is the PING! Gotta have the ping. I hate doing all the work then having to eat a jar right away.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »
I have canned venison in the pantry and love it.
my mom-in-law got me into it first and i think it's great. for the wife and i who work too much, it's really impractical to try and cook venison on a weeknight when we don't get home till 7:00 or so. the already-cooked thing and versatility are the bonuses of it.
mostly we use it for stroganoff.
BTW-i'm 34
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 05:05:27 PM »
Well other than my younger brothers, I did not know anyone younger than 40 that canned meat. Glad to see there are still some "young" folks doing it.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 06:46:04 PM »
Crap, now I feel old.
molṑn labé

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 06:49:55 PM »
Only 5 years older than me... but then again, I am almost 40

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 06:58:09 PM »
Forgot to mention, I also love the "ping", but I really love no ping, cause we get to dig in right away! Gotta stop using Kerr lids...I think my dad has had best luck with Ball....
molṑn labé

Don't make me hurt you.

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 05:14:35 PM »
I remeber my Mom and Grandma canning stuff in the summer when I was younger.  They canned EVERYTHING.  Meats, Vegi's, Fruits, Sauces, Stews, Soups, Jam, etc.  :drool: My favorite was peaches!  I really regret not paying closer attention and learning how to do it. 

I'd be really interested in learning how to do it! 

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 05:25:18 PM »
Im with ya Michelle..loved canned goods..home made jams, cheeries, pears, peaches..beats, pickes, beans..man..

I gots to get my step mom to hook up the canner...she is great at it...I might have to get into this action on my own too...

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 12:26:34 AM »
Hope I'm not too old but canned alot of different stuff up north, still have Salmon and Bison meat...  Long term the only way to go........  An so darn good...  I think the reason  we did it so much was the abundance of meat/fish we'd get quickly and have to take care of it to make sure it was edible later in the year... 

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 07:27:30 AM »
Canning also soothes that Y2K suvivalist in me. I like having the ability to preserve foods in a more primitive/survivalist methodology. I have a large supply of canning goods on hand. End of the world type planning...

:P The end is near!  :P 
molṑn labé

Don't make me hurt you.

Offline HawkenBob

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 09:02:17 AM »
Im 40 and I love cannin. Just canned a bunch of Smoked Sturgy. Love it instead of tuna on sandwhiches. Once the Alby's start coming in cheap it will be time to head for Westport a 100 pounds or so. Home canned Alby is so good compared to the store bought.

I bought a Wisconsin foundry pressure canner and love every minute. So easy. Especially after you figure your heat source out. You can literally walk away for 80 or so minutes in between.

Cant wait to try some red meat.
I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me to.

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 09:30:44 AM »
I am 32 and can salmon, smoked and regular.  I have canned peaches like Michelle, but have found that pears are the best...  (guess I'm just a pear guy)  I want to do game next year.  With my salmon I like a spicy sauce with it so I may try and experiement with adding other ingredients.  Has anyone added hot sauce or a other things to your canned meat?  How did it turn out?  (by the way, don't add melted butter to canned salmon to try and keep it from drying out...it re-solidified and turned out nasty)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 11:59:17 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]