collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bear Jerky - Homemade  (Read 15452 times)

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Bear Jerky - Homemade
« on: July 22, 2007, 07:49:13 PM »
Here is another post from January 2007.

The other day I was at the local Walmart and found this Jerky Maker Kit on sale for $15. I have seen them before, but making jerky out of burger never really appealed to me. Knowing that this kit could cost $30 or more and the fact that I have a ton of game burger I decided to buy it. I made a small 1 lb batch in the oven and it turned out great. Now that I know it works I wanted to make a large batch in the smoker. So I went to Sportsman’s Warehouse and picked up a couple extra racks at $10 each, then on the way home I made a quick trip to Wallyworld  (thinking that an extra Jerky Maker Kit for $15 would give me another rack as well as extra parts). When I got to the section, the kits were now on clearance for $11. Well I sure could use a few more racks ……so I bought 3 more kits.

The kit comes with one rack, one gun (caulk type) and two nozzles, one flat and one round. The nozzles and tube are made of plastic and I am sure that they will become brittle in short order. The spices are purchased separately.

After mixing the burger (5 lbs), spices, cure and water, you need to let the meat sit for a minimum of 4 hours in the fridge. Since I have a few, I fill two tubes with meat to save time. When “shooting” the jerky strips on the rack I put them as close as I can and I get 12 pieces about 12 inches long per full rack. The jerky gun is easy to use and within a few minutes I was able to shoot strips with ease.

The racks are a bit too wide to fit side by side in my smoker cabinet but I was able to maximize by not filling one rack (9 strips instead of 12) on each level and over lapping with a full rack. I left the racks in place for 45 minutes and then rotated them at 30-minute intervals and then let them sit for 15 minutes without heat for a total cook time of 2 hours. I was able to hold the temperature around 200 degrees F.

When done the strips were very tender and a little moist so I laid them out under a fan for a few hours and they dried and toughened up a bit. The Teriyaki flavor that I used was a bit bland, but other than that it turned out great.

I really like this little kit, but because it is made of plastic, I would not buy it at full price. I would look at some of the other models available. Some even have tips that shoot two strips at a time.

Below you will see some pics from the batch I am making as I post this. I am making 5 lbs of the “Original” flavor. I started laying the strips at 5 pm and now at 6 pm I just loaded the smoker.

The Kit(s)

Preperations

Making the strips

Rack overlap

Finished (Previous Batch)

Close up (Previous Batch)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 08:22:18 AM by billythekidrock »

Offline high country

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Bear Jerky - Homemade
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 08:45:12 PM »
I have the biggest jerky blaster that cabela's has......it is worth the $$$ you get about 3lbs of meat per tube and you work 1/2 as hard to squirt it. it also has dual tip so you can do two at once. I had the one you have for a year or two......expect about 50 raw lbs before it starts to crack.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 05:01:23 PM »
I have the biggest jerky blaster that cabela's has......it is worth the $$$ you get about 3lbs of meat per tube and you work 1/2 as hard to squirt it. it also has dual tip so you can do two at once. I had the one you have for a year or two......expect about 50 raw lbs before it starts to crack.

That's about what I expected. But I have 3 of the cheapies right now. Eventually I will get the big kahuna.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 05:18:40 PM »
I REALLLY need to get a real smoker setup going. that electric P.O.S. i have is pretty worthless as a smoker. it makes a handy slow cooker, but lacks as a smoker.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline nw_bowhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 03:49:56 PM »
I have alwasy been curious how these would taste and what the texture would be like using hamburger. Seems like a good way to use some hamburger up.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 08:42:41 PM »
I had always thought the same thing, but it is actually pretty good. You can make it tough and chewy by drying for a longer period.

Offline Buckblaster

• Scout
  • 2015 Wyoming Moose
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 03:37:45 PM »
I hate to say this but you can get Trichinosis from any predator or scavenger that eats meat if you don't thoroughly cook it. About 10 years ago, a guy in my area took a bunch of cougar jerky to work for everyone to taste and half a dozen of them ended up in the hospital shortly thereafter. According to Reference.com, Trichinosis, also called trichinellosis, or trichiniasis, is a parasitic disease caused by eating raw or undercooked pork and wild game products infected with the larvae of a species of roundworm Trichinella spiralis, commonly called the trichina worm. The few cases in the United States are mostly the result of eating undercooked game or home reared pigs.
http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Trichinosis
Sorry...
NRA Life Member

"The people will not understand the importance of the Second Amendment until it is too late."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 04:52:15 PM »
Yep, it is always a possibility. Why be sorry?

Offline robb92

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Location: Spokane Wa, Andrews AFB, Maryland and King George, VA
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 12:57:12 AM »
I have the same style kit, thought along the same lines as you. Using the ground meat I think gets the seasoning into the meat a lot better than using the sliced method but both are to eat.
"ITS NOT WHAT THE WISE MAN SAYS BUT WHAT THE WISE MAN DOES IN HIS LIFE THAT MATTERS"

Offline cascademountainhunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 08:11:14 PM »
man that is making me so hungary! :EAT:

Offline bow4elk

• Pacific Northwest Bowhunting
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • Contact me at: tom@pnwbowhunting.com
    • https://www.facebook.com/pacific.northwest.bowhunting/
    • Pacific Northwest Bowhunting
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 11:44:35 PM »
For bear, it's best to boil the meat in chunks to thoroughly cook it, then proceed with any jerky or sausage recipe.  I won't eat anything that wasn't cooked first.  Ain't worth the consequences.
Official Measurer: Pope and Young Club, NW Big Game Inc., National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, Oregon Shed Hunters
First Hunt Foundation mentor
Washington State R3 Coordinator

Pacific Northwest Bowhunting http://www.pnwbowhunting.com

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal