collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ammo recommendations Remington 700 .300 win mag?  (Read 32437 times)

Offline KenPCPilot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
    • KenPCPilot
  • Groups: NRA
Ammo recommendations Remington 700 .300 win mag?
« on: July 24, 2012, 10:13:41 AM »
I shoot factory ammo and have tried Winchester, Remington Core-loct and Scirrocos so far.  The Scirrocos seem to have the best grouping consistency.  I use this for hunting bear.  At $50.00 a box it can get real expensive experimenting with ammo.  I would appreciate any feed back on what ammo has been a consistent performer.  I am thinking about trying a box of Barnes since it is advertised to keep most of it weight and integrity on impact. 
GO BUCKS

Offline ELKBURGER

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Ammo recommendations Remington 700 .300 win mag?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »
I used to shoot the winchester failsafe a while back in my Rem 700. They shot great groups with great weight retension. I have been reloading now for a long time and have been experimenting with various combinations. I have no idea what the failsafe rounds cost now. Good luck

Offline Huntbear

• I am a BAD Kitteh
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • Y.A.R. Jester aka Smart Ass
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1236486665
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 12:56:19 PM »
Federal Prem.  With accubonds..
By my honorable conduct as a hunter let me give a good example and teach new hunters principles of honor, so that each new generation can show respect for their god, other hunters and the animals, and enjoy the dignity of the hunt.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 12:57:48 PM »
I have been using Sierra game kings. 165gr. I reload so I'm not sure what it would cost.
You can get your money back pretty quick with a single stage press

Offline elkoholic1

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: elkoholic1
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 01:04:25 PM »

:yeah:

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 01:11:16 PM »

These bullets were accurate out of my .300 mag rem 700. 

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 02:30:59 PM »
The 300 Win mag has rated in my top three favorite cartridges for 20 plus years. I have taken plenty of Mulies and Elk with the cartridge and for a duel purpose bullet I prefer a little more speed than bullet weight. The 165gr Nosler Accubond is what perfected the .300 Win Mag for me, if you hand load a stout charge of RL-22 behind it works wonders. :tup:

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 02:37:46 PM »
I am shooting 180gr Fedral Fusions out of mine but haven't put many rounds through it yet.
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 05:52:51 PM »
 :) for bear in a 300 mag, use the cheap 180 federal blue box. Black Bears aint any tougher than a deer. I have killed a few with a 300, seen many killed with other cartridges.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 06:07:52 PM »
What I am about to tell you is terribly expensive but worth every penny.  Don't worry about manufacture, they are all good enough.  Don't get into which bullet is better blah, blah, blah.  Buy 5 or so boxes from the different major manufacturers and shoot five shot groups (off a rest or prone, bagged in) say at 100 or even 200 yards (I like 200yds), cleaning after each 5-shot group.  Don't worry about who wins, just buy whatever is better with the same lot number if you can still find it.  I will be different for each rifle that you own.  Give away or sell the other ammo that you didn't use, you will be happy you did.

I reload and couldn't match factory after I did this with my rifles.  In the long run it is way cheaper.  I have a Remington 700 that clover leafs at 100yds, everything touching with Winchester Supreme.  I came nowhere near that with Corelokts, Remington's premium gold box, Hornady, Federal or Nosler.  Every rifle I have done this on, there is a clear winner.       

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
What I am about to tell you is terribly expensive but worth every penny.  Don't worry about manufacture, they are all good enough.  Don't get into which bullet is better blah, blah, blah.  Buy 5 or so boxes from the different major manufacturers and shoot five shot groups (off a rest or prone, bagged in) say at 100 or even 200 yards (I like 200yds), cleaning after each 5-shot group.  Don't worry about who wins, just buy whatever is better with the same lot number if you can still find it.  I will be different for each rifle that you own.  Give away or sell the other ammo that you didn't use, you will be happy you did.

I reload and couldn't match factory after I did this with my rifles.  In the long run it is way cheaper.  I have a Remington 700 that clover leafs at 100yds, everything touching with Winchester Supreme.  I came nowhere near that with Corelokts, Remington's premium gold box, Hornady, Federal or Nosler.  Every rifle I have done this on, there is a clear winner.       

You might want to go at your accuracy testing a little different. If your cleaning after each 5 shot group and then shooting another five shot group for accuracy and so on. Then it is highly probable that your not seeing your rifles true potential. I know that most of my custom barrels need 1-5 five rounds just to settle in after a cleaning at 100 yards that may not seam much to some but it matters at distance. I usually do my accuracy testing at 300 and you can watch the groups settle down after the first 1-3 rounds out of a clean barrel. I have very few barrels and have had in the past very few barrels that shoot the exact same point of impact clean as they are fouled. I have a 11 twist .300 Win mag with a Mike Rock barrel that shoots lights out no matter what and it's a rarity in the most part. Factory barrels are even more temperamental.

I always leave the range or my shooting session with 5 plus rounds or so on my barrel and that's how it goes to the field.

Offline longrangekiller

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 07:04:05 PM »

These bullets were accurate out of my .300 mag rem 700.

:yeah:
work hard but hunt harder

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 07:27:21 PM »
You are right about a fouled barrel, my go-to rifle shoots better fouled also.  The only reason for the cleaning is that I am trying (for the test) to keep it as close to the same as possible between the different manufacturers.  By cleaning I only ran a patch through it.  Just trying to keep it somewhat consistent. 

You might want to go at your accuracy testing a little different. If your cleaning after each 5 shot group and then shooting another five shot group for accuracy and so on. Then it is highly probable that your not seeing your rifles true potential. I know that most of my custom barrels need 1-5 five rounds just to settle in after a cleaning at 100 yards that may not seam much to some but it matters at distance. I usually do my accuracy testing at 300 and you can watch the groups settle down after the first 1-3 rounds out of a clean barrel. I have very few barrels and have had in the past very few barrels that shoot the exact same point of impact clean as they are fouled. I have a 11 twist .300 Win mag with a Mike Rock barrel that shoots lights out no matter what and it's a rarity in the most part. Factory barrels are even more temperamental.

I always leave the range or my shooting session with 5 plus rounds or so on my barrel and that's how it goes to the field.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 07:36:23 PM »
I shoot factory ammo and have tried Winchester, Remington Core-loct and Scirrocos so far.  The Scirrocos seem to have the best grouping consistency.  I use this for hunting bear.  At $50.00 a box it can get real expensive experimenting with ammo.  I would appreciate any feed back on what ammo has been a consistent performer.  I am thinking about trying a box of Barnes since it is advertised to keep most of it weight and integrity on impact.

I think bear are one of the tougher animals in the 48 states. I like Barnes real well, but I would try grouping them in your rifle then you will know if they are a good choice. There is truth that not all guns like all bullets.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 07:39:27 PM »
The etip by nosler is really working well for me in my 300 win mag. I have flattened 2 bears with them the last 2 years. They are a solid like the Barnes and hit hard and hold up extremely well.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw