collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ammo recommendations Remington 700 .300 win mag?  (Read 32442 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Re: Ammo recommendations Remington 700 .300 win mag?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 07:47:52 PM »
discussing bullets is just like discussing the best auto brands  :chuckle:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Biggerhammer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 07:49:19 PM »
The etip by nosler is really working well for me in my 300 win mag. I have flattened 2 bears with them the last 2 years. They are a solid like the Barnes and hit hard and hold up extremely well.

I keep checking Noslers Shootersproshop to catch a smoking deal on a over run of the E-Tip but no luck so far.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 07:50:54 PM »
discussing bullets is just like discussing the best auto brands  :chuckle:

I'll shoot pretty much anything if need be but I have my preferences. :tup:

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 07:52:09 PM »
Hammer I talked to my buddy there yesterday. They are smashed and so far in the negtive on a ton of stuff. I have about 12 things to order and they only had 3 of them in stock!!! I said piss on it and he said he would start sneeking me a box here or there so I can have some for this year :chuckle:

They have a few new items that I think some people might be happy with for 2013 :hello:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 08:21:15 PM »
Hammer I talked to my buddy there yesterday. They are smashed and so far in the negtive on a ton of stuff. I have about 12 things to order and they only had 3 of them in stock!!! I said piss on it and he said he would start sneeking me a box here or there so I can have some for this year :chuckle:

They have a few new items that I think some people might be happy with for 2013 :hello:

Must be nice having on guy on the "Inside" with Nosler! :tup: Did you tell him I need a .458 Accubond, preferably 370 grains or so? :chuckle:

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 08:26:52 PM »
I may or may not have suggested that :chuckle: I told him I plan to buy a 458 lott one of these days and a heavy accubond would be sweet :tup:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 08:29:35 PM »
Here is my opinion: you are asking people a question they cannot adequately answer.  The only one who can tell you what ammunition your gun will shoot well is...your gun.  What shoots well in one gun may, or may not shoot well in another, even an identical make and model.

There is just no way around it. Guns are like most people: finicky.  You must ask your gun what it likes, and obey. :twocents:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 09:00:03 PM »
Here is my opinion: you are asking people a question they cannot adequately answer.  The only one who can tell you what ammunition your gun will shoot well is...your gun.  What shoots well in one gun may, or may not shoot well in another, even an identical make and model.

There is just no way around it. Guns are like most people: finicky.  You must ask your gun what it likes, and obey. :twocents:

Fact of the matter is, pretty much any factory ammo is going to shoot MOA of deer when it comes to a typical hunting  cenerio.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 09:09:06 PM »

Fact of the matter is, pretty much any factory ammo is going to shoot MOA of deer when it comes to a typical hunting  cenerio.
Yes, even with a clean barrel.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 09:13:37 PM »

Yes, even with a clean barrel.

Yep, slinging a bullet at a deer size target is a whole different ball game than accuracy testing, that's a fact. Clean barrel or not. :chuckle:

Offline Mtn.Ghost

• NWTripper
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 10:49:20 PM »
I shoot factory ammo and have tried Winchester, Remington Core-loct and Scirrocos so far.  The Scirrocos seem to have the best grouping consistency.  I use this for hunting bear.  At $50.00 a box it can get real expensive experimenting with ammo.  I would appreciate any feed back on what ammo has been a consistent performer.  I am thinking about trying a box of Barnes since it is advertised to keep most of it weight and integrity on impact.
Product Number:   FAP300WT1

Web Product Title:   300 WN MAG TROPHY BONDED 200GR
Item Price:   
Multiple Qty Discounts:   
Availability:   In Stock
Shipping Weight:   1.94 lbs.
• Caliber: .300 Winchester Magnum
• Grain: 200gr
• Bullet Style: Trophy Bonded® Bear Claw
• 20 Rounds per Box
Developed by Jack Carter in 1985, this bullet sets the absolute standard for bullet performance. It's ideal for either medium or large dangerous game and features a solid shank and bonded core for reliable expansion at any range. With 95% weight retention and a whole host of fans, the TBBC is trusted in the most harrowing situations.

You spend all year dreaming of the moment of truth—why trust it to anything less than the best. Vital-Shok is available with the world's finest big game bullets, from the unrivaled Trophy Bonded® family to Nosler®, Sierra® and Barnes®. Match that with world-class brass, select powders and legendary primers and you get ammunition you can truly believe in.

FEDERAL PREMIUM® VITAL-SHOK® - .300 WIN. MAG 200GR TROPHY BONDED BEAR CLAW 20/BOX : 300 WN MAG TROPHY BONDED 200GR  :bfg: Also look into Speer Deep Curl  I think Federal offers them in their Premium loads. If you want to save allot $ I could be willing to load some if you get the components. I have the skill and the equipment. :tup:   

Ken, I have tried 3-4 times to pm & e-mail you about the Elk and Bear hunt share in Aug. I dont know if any of them reached you because I have gotten no response. If the offer is still available I'm available and can commit the time. Shhot me a call if you want to discuss the details or have a meeting. Mike @ 425-314-2252 thanks.     

"Grizzlybunny"

Offline Huntbear

• I am a BAD Kitteh
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • Y.A.R. Jester aka Smart Ass
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1236486665
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 08:40:44 AM »

I reload and couldn't match factory after I did this with my rifles.     

Not quite sure about your reloading techniques, but my reloads will shoot circles around factory loads, AND I get the bullet I want and the velocity I want...  And it is a helluva lot cheaper than factory loads...  instead of $2-3.50 a round, I am down around a $1.20 a round for even my .338 WM, even cheaper on my handgun loads.. closer to .25 a round.

With the added benefit of not having a bunch of crappy factory stuff laying around..
By my honorable conduct as a hunter let me give a good example and teach new hunters principles of honor, so that each new generation can show respect for their god, other hunters and the animals, and enjoy the dignity of the hunt.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
I have always liked the Federal Classic ammo in the blue box. Had good groups in evry rifle I have ever tried them in.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 10:01:18 AM »
Yes, if you take the time and have the right equipment.  Benchrest type accuracy just isn't important to me nor worth the hassle or money.  You can sink a grand easy into your loader and spend even more time at it but if you are shooting a box or two a year, factory is more than acceptable for hunting.  It comes down to finding the right factory round for your rifle, which means buying a few of the different manufacturers.  I used to load for the rifles but then I tried the above posted method and it just doesn't make sense to spend the time/money to reload.  Like I said, with factory I can get a 5 shot group touching each other at 100yds (maybe a slight flier).  I just didn't see enough difference when I reloaded. 

Pistol on the other hand, is entirely different.  .223 in high volumes is different as I shoot it in high volumes.  In my opinion the average Joe who wants to hunt deer and elk is better off just finding the right factory ammo that shoots best in his rifle.       

Not quite sure about your reloading techniques, but my reloads will shoot circles around factory loads, AND I get the bullet I want and the velocity I want...  And it is a helluva lot cheaper than factory loads...  instead of $2-3.50 a round, I am down around a $1.20 a round for even my .338 WM, even cheaper on my handgun loads.. closer to .25 a round.

With the added benefit of not having a bunch of crappy factory stuff laying around..

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 11:33:56 AM »

Hahaha! I love it!

Crappy factory. SISSY stuff! Wahooooo!  :tup:

Saw a box of Weatherby .338-378 Weatherby ammo yesterday. 20 cartridges to the box, loaded with 250gr Barnes Tripple Shocks. 151.00 bucks a box. I was confused for a second, I thought hell of a price tag for a box of SISSY factory ammo, but what a Macho, crusher of a round to have to stuff in a piece of crap, free bore slumming, nasty ass Weatherby rifle. :chuckle:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:41:11 AM by Biggerhammer »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal