collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pope and Young W/ Story  (Read 16561 times)

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
Pope and Young W/ Story
« on: August 05, 2012, 04:17:08 PM »
Just got my stuff back from my 2011 late archery buck. So exited and happy to have fulfilled a life goal of shooting a pope and young buck.

Just decided to add the story to this. It's long but it's good. Just thought that people might like to have somthing to read.

Luck of the draw
On Sunday the 20th   of November I found myself sitting in my truck daydreaming as I drove to Okanogan for my 2011 late archery hunt. I was staying with a friend and so when I arrived we sat down drank a beer and came up with a plan for the morning. He was going to have his son overnight and would have to take him to school in the morning so he drew me a map of a place I should hunt and we went to bed. I woke bright eyed and bushy tailed ready for my hunt. John, a friend that had rode with me to help on this hunt, and I loaded the truck and off we went. Not sure if I was speeding or if the sun was just taking it’s sweet time getting up but I got to my spot a little too early so we sat in the truck and waited for light. As soon as I could see well enough to glass we started up the road stopping and glassing the huge canyons and benches that the Okanogan country is full of. The day started off great I saw several bucks chasing does around but nothing that I was interested in trying to shoot. After glassing for a little over an hour we eventually arrived at the place that I wanted to walk. My plan was to walk over the top of a large ridge and follow it over and down ultimately ending up down the other side at another friend’s house. As soon as I got out of the truck the snow started falling. I jumped a small 2pt. when I got out and informed him that he was a “lucky little fella” as he walked away only 30 yards to my left. My walk turned out to be uneventful as far as deer hunting goes but only five minutes in I spotted a coyote and called it in by lip squeaking he caught my sent at about 150 yards leaving me again standing alone in the snow. Lost in the tranquility of that beautiful place I almost forgot what I was there for and stood there staring into the snow not really thinking about any one thing in particular, nature has a way of opening the mind and for a while everything and nothing all make sense simultaneously. A cold chill snapped me back and on I went. The snow was coming so hard that glassing was not really an option and most of the walk was spent   praying that someplace in the 100 yards of visibility that I had a buck would appear. It did not.
 Near the end of my walk I spotted yet another coyote along with two of his friends. They had watched me make my way down a finger and why they sat and watched I will never know. I took a knee and lip squeaked immediately prompting a challenge howl from what I assume to be the dominate male in the group. After several minutes of squeaks and returned barks I wanted to move on so I thought I would bark like a dog and scare this coyote back to whatever secret magical hole coyotes seem to spend most of their time in. Well, I did as I said and barked like a dog, like a big, fat, human sounding dog. Two of the coyotes trotted off but the loud mouth stayed behind and after a 10 minute duet of some pretty prehistoric sounds I guess he wanted to come say hello. Mr. Loud Mouth worked his way to within 70 yards of me and sat perched atop a large granite boulder looking down at me. He sat there pretty content until an arrow sailed right in between his ears. His retreat was swift and I was back to deer hunting. When I reached my friends house John was there to greet me, but not with one of those “hey how did it go?” kind of greetings but more like a “Hey the sheriff just left cause I had to repot the accident that I got into with your truck.” kind of greetings I’m sure you know the kind. Apparently just after he dropped me off he was driving back to our friend’s house and a young kid in a Toyota came flying around a corner and hit him head on. The damage was not severe but my bumper needed to be replaced. We spent the rest of the day glassing and planning our hunt for the next morning. Darkness came and went and I again found myself glued to a pair of Nikon monarchs searching the hills for a monster buck. Phillip, who had joined us for the morning hunt, told me to keep a sharp eye as this was a place he often saw deer crossing from one side of the valley to the other. No sooner than he said it I spotted a group of deer. Immediately I pulled up my binoculars and of all the objects that I could see only one thing mattered. The buck was standing on the hill below slowly pushing the does up the steep grade that was their passage into a large flat valley. At 28 inches wide with 4 points on his left and 5 on the right including eye guards. Anybody would be proud to shoot him during the general season, really, any season for that matter. I watched as he chased does seemingly oblivious to the fact that he was being watched. While this buck was nice he was just not what I was looking for. I set myself a goal of shooting a heavy main frame 4x4 and although nice he just didn’t have what I was looking for. He would live to chase another doe.
   Soon after my encounter with what most would call a shooter buck I was again standing alone in the snow. The sun was bright and the 4 inches of snow that filled in the imperfections of the steep hills that lay ahead was slowly being consumed by the thirsty soil below. I walked slowly, ever cautious of my footing, these hills are littered with small granite cliffs and the melting snow was doing everything it could to try and send me over one of them. My descent was slow and grueling as I had to take extra care not to fall. I sometimes think that it’s better to walk up hill than down. Along the way I saw several run of the mill 3 and 4 points and nothing that really fit what I was looking for. I came to the base of the hill where John met me with a side by side and he took me back to the house. Hungry, we decided to hit up the Wagon Wheel Tavern in Mallot for a burger. After I finished my burger I decided that I wanted to go back up the hill to where we had seen that wide buck and that if he was there I would put a stalk on him and shoot if I had the opportunity.
John dropped me off above the place that Phillip said was the crossing and I walked back towards where I had seen the buck. As far as hikes go it was simple. John had dropped me off at the top of the hill and I was working the flat with little effort. As I came to the side of a steep hill something caught my eye. Not 40 yards below me I saw horn tips working through the sage to my left. The buck walked slowly oblivious to the fact that I was at full draw and just waiting for him to clear the brush. Oblivious? Well, maybe not. He stopped just behind the last piece of sage before the clearing and looked down hill. I noticed that a doe he was with started walking down hill and this buck being… What did Bambi call it? O yeah, twitterpated I think was the term. Much like most males his twitterpation prompted him to turn and follow the doe. They walked strait downhill keeping the sage right in my way the whole time. My bow came forward and with a big sigh I walked back across the flat and to the road. He would most definitely live to chase another doe. John was pretty bummed out as we made the drive back to Phillips but I was surprisingly in good spirits.  I was hesitant to go after that deer in the first place and the universe just made clear to me that it was not meant to be.         
The third day of my hunt was less than ideal. I’m not sure whose fault it was and I will argue to my death bed that is was not me but at some point on Tuesday night my keys got locked in my truck. Stupid me, I had no spare and help would not come until well after hunting light. It took me and two other guys an hour and a half to get my truck unlocked. In hind sight I guess I should have just called a tow service but having already made a call to my insurance company about my bumper I thought it better to just handle this one myself. By the time I got out hunting the snow had mostly gone leaving me thinking again about a question that I once heard while I was in the army “Where does the white go when the snow melts?” I would have paid good money to get that wonderful white backdrop back as it is almost as useful for spotting deer as binoculars. This day the deer seemed to be hiding and if they felt the same way I do about the rain that was now falling down in sheets I guess I understood. I hunted hard for the rest of the day only seeing a handful of deer and not one buck. At nightfall I packed my things and headed home for Thanksgiving. The 4 hour drive gave me lots of time to think about what I would do when I went back up north. Two days separated me from the field and the monster buck that has haunted my dreams from the moment I opened my draw results. Thanksgiving morning was celebrated with an annual duck hunt, something my brother and I had done for the past 15 years. The hunt was great and we got some shooting in almost filling our limit. Later, as we sat around the table with family talking about everything under the sun I drifted back to those granite cliffs and that monster that I just knew I would find. The turkey was moist and was well worth the year long wait but my taste buds made the message clear, they wanted back strap! Friday was absolute torture as I had to work just this one day and then I could get back to hunting. The clock was moving as slow as the line at the DMV and I was in agony. I had a date in that high country up north, a date I was not going to miss.
   The drive was peaceful and for once I felt I didn’t get stuck behind the “world’s slowest car race’’. I made it into town about 6:30 p.m. Friday night and was immediately greeted by a close group of friends who had come up for the general late archery hunt that was open in the units around where I was hunting. We piled into cars and went to a local watering hole, the Wagon Wheel. Phillip and I sat and talked, well, talked as much as two men can when they have a juicy steak and steaming hot baked potato in front of them. I leaned back in my chair taking in a deep breath and smiling as I realized that I was just as full now as I had been yesterday. I finished my beer and out we went with full bellies all of us eager for what the morning would bring.    
   We woke well before the sun and preparations went as usual. As the last drip of coffee splashed into Phillips cup he made his way for the door, bow in hand, I followed. The plan was to go to an area we had not been and that still has snow. We would then use the service roads to glass and locate a buck. Spot and stalk would be the ultimate method to hopefully land me a wall hanger. As soon as we turned off the highway it was “Buck city” it seemed like every deer we saw was a buck, though nothing I wanted to shoot, it was nice to see how many had made it through the earlier seasons. We glassed for hours seeing deer in almost every area we looked into. At one point we were driving and I noticed that the snow around us was unusually clean. “Phillip, are we on a lake?” I asked. To which he replied “hope we don’t break through” Crack! The ice gave way and into the water we went. I want to make clear that we did not drive out onto a lake. The road that we were on went into a meadow and it has grass on either side. In truth it was more of a pond than anything else with a road right through the middle of it.  Thank god it was only about 18 inches of water and because of the sandy and boulder filled area traction was good and after plowing through and breaking the rest of the ice we made it out. Hats off to you Mr. Ford, your F-150 truck breaks ice like a champ.
   After our little Icecapade we went on a bad streak not seeing any deer for almost two hours. As we drove into the Okanogan National Forest I daydreamed of a monster peering at me from the snow covered hills. Phillip suddenly hit the brakes and I snapped out of my daydream “Buck” I asked? Phillip looked at an open gate that led into an area he had not been in quite some time. “That gate is not usually open this time of year” he said as he turned the wheel and headed through the open gate. The snow on the road was loud and crunchy acting as natures tattle tale warning all we were on the way. Phillip told me that there was a great area for glassing that overlooked much of the country that we were in and was to be our next destination.  We rounded a corner and out my window about 150 yards out I could see two deer and I could see they were bucks. I pulled up my binoculars and found them fast. A spindly 2x3 stood next to a 4x4 of the same caliber. Not the buck I was looking for. I scanned the area for other deer. Phillip spotted a nice buck at the top of the hill. Glassing quickly along the top of the ridge I found the buck looking through a patch of bitter brush. I could tell immediately that he was not as wide as I was looking for but his mass was unmistakable. I looked at Phillip and said “He’s not very wide” then looked back through my binoculars. Phillip said “Not wide but look at his forks. He has great forks!” I noticed that as well so obviously in agreement that this was a nice deer I turned and asked him a very important question. “He is great no doubt, but can I do better?” Phillip looked at me and his words were clear and they sunk in fast “If I got a tag… I don’t pass that buck up” I told Phillip to drive around the corner where they could not see us and I got out of the truck. Not having time to prepare for this I left my pack in the truck and bailed with just my bow and a pocket knife. Phillip slowly drove off and I disappeared into the timber waiting until I could no longer hear the sound of the crunching snow under the truck tires. When all was silent again I started up the hill. The first 100 yards went fast I stopped to catch my breath I wanted to be as calm as possible when I walked in on this buck. I was just about to start walking again when my worst nightmare came true. I was staring face to face with the 2x3 at 50 yards and he had me dead to rights. I sat frozen for what seemed like an eternity and then… this buck as if I was never even there turned and walked off to my left and out of sight. Feeling like I had just won the lottery I trudged on. My happiness was short lived as only five steps later I again was looking into the face of yet another buck. Seeing 4 points I pulled my bow back but as it settled into place I realized this was not the buck I wanted but the other 4 point. I let my bow go forward and sat staring at what I was sure would be the deal breaker in this hunt. Now I’m not much of a gambling man but if ever there was a day to hit the table this would have been it. The buck not only did not care that I was there but he started walking towards me. The curious little guy walked all the way in to 20 yards and stopped. He was staring at me not a care in the world and I know that he was thinking “Hmm, O, it’s just a human.” And with that he turned and walked off following the same trail as the 2x3. Totally amazed that I was still in the hunt I continued on, walking slowly up the hill. I crested and walked out onto the bench where the big 4X4 had been. Slowly moving across the bench I made my way to the right, the opposite way the other two bucks had gone. I walked, searching the brush for the toad that I knew was lurking somewhere inside. Each step made the snow crunch and with each step I knew I was getting closer and that if I did get a chance to shoot it would be very quick. One more step and I saw him, staring right at me. I knew I only had seconds to make a shot. Taking a large step forward allowing me to see his vitals I settled my pin on his body. He turned to leave offering me a slightly quartering away broadside shot. With no time to be nervous my pin founds its home and with that my arrow flew. Crack! I heard that ever so familiar sound and knew it to be that of an arrow hitting a rib.
The forest was filled with noise and chaos as the buck and doe ran crashing down the hill and then nothing, not a sound, all was quite save for the sound of a few snowflakes breaking apart as they hit my hat brim. I took a deep breath in and gathered myself for now that it was over my adrenaline had caught up to me and my hands trembled. I walked slowly to where the buck had stood and started to search for blood. The snow was torn up badly where the buck had taken the hit but I could not find any blood. Down the hill an impressive display of just how strong and agile these deer are I could see more tracks about 20 feet apart. Each bound was as impressive as the last until the ground leveled out and at that point I found what I was looking for. Blood!
The blood was bright red against the snow leaving a trail as easy to follow as a road map.  Bow in hand I walked slowly switching my focal point between the cherry snow cone at my feet and the trail that lay out before me hoping to see where it ended. The snow was loud, like walking on dried cereal and each step echoed through the forest warning everything ahead that something was coming. I moved through a small draw that led me to a gentle upward side hill which curved around to the right. As I looked up the red trail met the sky at the top of the hill almost like a vein leading strait to heaven, and like some intro veins drug that was injected into it I had to follow where it took me. Over the top of the hill I found that place where heaven and earth met and in that place lay the most magnificent animal that I had ever harvested. This buck was a fine animal his coat full no doubt keeping him warm in the bitterness of the high mountain winter. His neck swollen and bulging from the rut, and the chocolate color of his antlers was magnified by the absence of color in the background, O, what a beautiful animal this was. “Whaaahoooooooo” I screamed as I ran up and grasp those chocolate horns around the base and lifted them up. I had done it. All the hard work that myself and my friends had done had paid off and was now lying in front of me and I basked in the splendor of it all.
   I heard a noise from behind me and turned to see Phillip walking toward me. Our greeting was as usual and after handshakes and pats on the back were completed the work began. It took only a few minutes before the buck was field dressed and was on its way down the mountain each of its horns absorbing the warmth of our hands. We drug the buck until we found an old logging road and there Phillip left me so that he could get back to the truck. He knew the area well and he told me that eventually this road would meet up with the main road and left me with that. I took off my belt wrapped it around the horn and started down the hill. Dragging was easy the hard packed snow allowed the buck to slide almost effortlessly and in some places I had to jog to keep up as it slid down the road. It only took about 15 minutes before I was standing at the edge of the main road waiting for Phillip to pick me up. Not long after I heard the sound of the chariot that would now carry me victoriously back to town, my prize poking up out of the truck bed for all to see.
   This was a wonderful hunt for me. I had a great time and was surrounded by great people. I want to extend a special thank you to my friend Phillip no of this could have happed with his knowledge and willingness to help. My buck made it into Pope and Young with a NET score of 155 6/8 and a GROSS score of 163 1/8. My 2011 Archery deer season will always be with me and every time I look at the wall and see that buck this story will run back through my mind.     
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 01:05:32 PM by CoryTDF »
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline bow boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Pope and Young
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 04:19:04 PM »
 :yike: wow, what a deer. Nice one  :tup:

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 04:23:57 PM »
cory what are the criterias for the pope & young  :dunno: again very nice buck  :tup:
Granted the ability to cause a A nuclear explosion that produces a rapid release of energy from a higher power resulting in the sudden and catastrophic demise of a thread.

Confucius say:
A crowded elevator smells different to a midget!
Man that go to bed with itchy butt wake up with stinky fingers!
Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.

Offline scottfrick

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • https://m.facebook.com/groups/532650454864045/?ref=share&mibextid=S66gvF
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 04:39:51 PM »
Congrats Cory, that's a beautiful Buck tup: one day i hope to join that club.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 04:41:53 PM »
If it's a mule deer it has to be at least 145 inches 125 for whitetail. Has to be taken with a bow and obviously following all state regulations. Has to be scored by an official Pope and Young scorer. Has to have 60 days drying period and skull plate must be intact. Thats all i remember off the top of my head.
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 04:56:31 PM »
 :tup: congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Granted the ability to cause a A nuclear explosion that produces a rapid release of energy from a higher power resulting in the sudden and catastrophic demise of a thread.

Confucius say:
A crowded elevator smells different to a midget!
Man that go to bed with itchy butt wake up with stinky fingers!
Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.

Offline upwind

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 05:01:28 PM »
WOW nice buck.

Offline ribka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 05:13:20 PM »
Congrats . Really nice buck

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 05:31:22 PM »
 :drool: :drool: :drool:

Offline skybusterbo

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 05:32:11 PM »
Very nice buck!!!!  :tup:

Offline windygorge

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 05:51:50 PM »
thats super cool  :tup:
"God gave you the gift of life, you owe it to God to give your best performance"

"Don't tell me the sky is the limit, when there are footprints on the moon"

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 06:11:14 PM »
Awesome! :tup:

Offline BullMagnet76

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough