collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: high hunt out of lake chelan........  (Read 10957 times)

Offline high country

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
high hunt out of lake chelan........
« on: August 17, 2008, 07:36:49 AM »
who has done it? I am thinking of boating up and hiking in. I have never been in that area, but I have been all around it. I am not too sure wat the past fires and water/creek stories are. seems like a good trip, but a bunch of leg work.

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: high hunt out of lake chelan........
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 08:37:18 AM »
I always wanted to.I think a late hunt would be better. Its steep but all up hill so dragging deer down is cool. I always had Prince creek in mind.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 09:08:37 AM »
Downhill or not, I sure as heck wouldn't want to "drag" a deer out of there!    :yike:

My back would never forgive me.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 09:19:33 AM »
This is from an old thread,  depending on where you want to go.
I was planning on running up and cutting cross country, didn't work for me.

I went up lake Chelan in a 12' boat during high buck alone. In the afternoon the winds came up and it got REAL nasty. On the westside of the lake there is quite a stretch with no where to land the boat. I thought for sure I was gonna capsize, the waves were big enough to sink me. I motored around trying to find a place to beach and avoiding waves at the same time. Luckily I had 2 lifevests, one for me and one for my pack and rifle. I almost never put them on but I was SCARED bigtime. I wass out there for a while, not sure how long, I finally found a cove with a place to tie the boat up and the was a semi flat spot big enough for my tent. I spent the night and in the morning I got the hell out of there. Went back to the launch, parked the boat and went into Glacier Peaks the old fashioned way, via trailhead.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 09:43:22 AM by actionshooter »

Offline clawdad

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 09:20:35 AM »
I am thinking about it as well. I have a 16ft boat and a place I stay out there up lake of manson. I have talked to the game warden a little bit as well but I haven't decided where I am going yet. I went up to stehekin over the 4th of July  and one thing is for sure steep steep steep :yike:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 09:39:58 AM »
You guys should go into advertising.  Take a great hunt then ask 1500 of the most dedicated hunters in the state to try it out. :)

Offline Slider

• Frontiersman
    • www.albinovest.com
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 12:03:16 PM »
I've been up there in a 24ft boat the wind kicked up and we had to turn around and get out of there!!! A 12ft boat is Suicidal at best!!!  :o

Offline clawdad

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 12:06:42 PM »
You guys should go into advertising.  Take a great hunt then ask 1500 of the most dedicated hunters in the state to try it out. :)
?

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 12:40:31 PM »
wasn't for you clawdad 8)

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 12:50:56 PM »
Bone, most guys wuss out when they actually get there and see how steep it really is.  Where the bucks get pushed to is right where you need a good set of balls and lungs to reach which leaves 98% of all hunters out.
I shot my widest mulie just above Cub Lake in the Prince Creek Drainage.  I started at the top and worked my way down towards the lake.  Shot my buck at Cub Lake and drug it down Prince Creek to Lake Chelan where my cousin picked me up in my boat.  We use to hunt a lot in that area by boat or using my boat as a pickup rig.  That was many moons ago thought.  I did spot a couple of ok bucks down by the lake at Prince Creek last summer.  Definitely be careful of the Lake in the evenings!!!  If you haven't run boats in rough water, I would not suggest that you try it.  Any boat under 18' would not be a smart choice.  The average "weekend" boater can easily find themself capsized in a heartbeat and up there help is a long ways away.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 01:02:39 PM by PolarBear »

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 02:57:21 PM »
well, I have an 18' walleye boat and plenty of hp, I expect to travel early in the am and the steep thing.......you guys ever do a high hunt where it ain't steep? I thank everyone for the info. anyone have any pics to share?

bone, don't sweat it......the majority will get to 4k feet and say screw this.....just helping to keep the winners up in the kings land.

Offline Vek

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 05:31:23 PM »
You're looking at possibly the toughest hunt in Washington, physically.  You will have to backpack your deer ONE VERTICAL MILE down to the lake, or close to it.  The water can be very rough.  The ten mile stretch above 25-mile creek is usually a wind tunnel.  You need a very capable boat. 

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 05:49:43 PM »
You're looking at possibly the toughest hunt in Washington, physically.  You will have to backpack your deer ONE VERTICAL MILE down to the lake, or close to it.  The water can be very rough.  The ten mile stretch above 25-mile creek is usually a wind tunnel.  You need a very capable boat. 

Now ya tell me   :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 05:54:18 PM »
I'm going early bow on Sept 1 there.  Turns out bear are legal too and I've seen quite a few of them from a boat before.  I'll throw the rifle and bow in.  I hunted it last year and didn't see a deer.  Unless a deer stands there and looks at me from 20 yards, I plan on only taking a bigger buck.  I've shot them up to 140" up off the lake.  I stayed down by the lake though, which I guess was the problem.  I got a 25 foot sportfisher so the lake won't be a problem.  Well, I take that back.  It can always be a problem.  I've been through some nasty stuff in large boats on that lake for over 25 years.  Seems like there use to be more deer in the 80's than now.  Incidentally, I spotted 2 moose last year but no deer.

Now, it is hot up there.  My plan is to try and get whatever I may shoot to the lake and put it in that ice cold water for a few hours.  Then clean and get the heck down the lake quick to cold storage.

Offline BC CHASER

• Sourdough
  • Si vis pacem para bellum
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 09:24:40 PM »
Pope just to let you know be very cautious about having a rifle with you when bow hunting deer.  I had a buddy go through the ringer with a local warden about that.  He did not get a ticket but the warden was trying to trap him.  I myself would not have a rifle in my hands with an archery deer tag during the season.  I know you would do anything bad but just a warning.
WA.MT.UT.AZ.KS.NM.CO.AK.NZ.
Lion Pride founding member

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal