collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Knight, stuck breach plug  (Read 16508 times)

Offline erk444

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
Re: Knight, stuck breach plug
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 07:16:22 PM »
I never tighten my bighorn breech plug more then hand tight, but it always gets stuck after I shoot targets. I think it has alot to do with how many shots you take. It never happens when I clean after shootin at a critter. I just take it apart, wrap a rag around the barrel, and put it in the vise in my garage. Like said before, I take my gun completly apart every time I clean. Takin the barrel off the stock has never affected my accuracy. Good luck :tup:

Offline Sabotloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 07:51:03 PM »
I am also a believer that the breech plug should be snug in the barrel... The reason for this is the face of the breech plug should mate up with the shelf in the barrel and create a gas seal at this point.  If you can get the seal here it protects your threads...

This drawing is an attempt to explain what I am saying...

In the drawing you can see I suggest using teflon tape to create the seal both at the two mating surfaces and the threads if the gas should leak by the first seal.  At lot of people use grease to accomplish the same thing and it works for you great.  I just never have like the mess and the tape seems to me easier to use.  BUT... it doestake some practice to apply it correctly.  I would like to say it is 100% effective but even at times I still get a leak once in awhile that results in a very tight plug to start to remove but once moving it turns out easily...

This was one of my first attempts to explain the taping method...

This is the re-dooo, and you can see in this picture set I am using white tape versus the pink tape in the first picture.  Pink is a little thicker tape and seals a bit better but some plugs are to tight to use pink.

If you decide to try this taping method I would suggest that you put a small amount of grease on the outside the tape until you build confidence in the application.

When you remove the plug most of the tape will remain in the BP orfice and you will need a bore brush to pull it out...

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline GEARHEAD

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 05:29:08 PM »
well its out, and the gun is cleaned, so back to the drawing board. placed a 250 pound vise on it, with both feet, :) and a ratchet with two extentions did the trick. i will keep that ratchet system with me for now on, and im gonna loosen and snug up after every shot. thanks again guys.

Offline superdown

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 06:34:23 PM »
I also have a bighorn and i just use silver anti-seize on the nipple and breech plug threads. I have had my bighorn for a bit over a year and have a couple hundred shots downrange and it comes free very easily every single time i am done shooting. The first time i took it out we shot it fifty times and it still was very easy to remove.

Offline GEARHEAD

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »
Hmmmm, i like that. thanks.

Offline sled

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 07:21:58 PM »
I also have a bighorn and i just use silver anti-seize on the nipple and breech plug threads. I have had my bighorn for a bit over a year and have a couple hundred shots downrange and it comes free very easily every single time i am done shooting. The first time i took it out we shot it fifty times and it still was very easy to remove.
  ill try that too.

Offline mrgoodwrench

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 07:35:23 PM »
You need to have that breech plug greased and tight to seal all the crap in the barrel and not your threads.  Hand tightening is going to give you a poor seal, and allow all the fouling into your threads.  Sabotloader with the teflon pipe tape is overkill, but you won't get a stuck plug with tape either, and it will clean up easier becasue the tape keeps the threads mostly clean.

Taking an inline muzzleloader off the stock will not affect your zero when you put it back together.  They have full floated barrels, and all the sights, and other parts are essentially 'one piece'.  Its not like you are changing pressure on teh barrel like with a wood stocked rifle that fits snug to the barrel.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal